Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-12-2005, 01:59 PM   #1  

Default Elliptical Machine design

I've been searching th internet for quality but moderately priced ellipticals. From my searches on here, I gathered that there are 2 elliptical designs: Either the wheel is in the front or the back.

My question is, which design provides the best range of motion? I don't want to buy a machine that is like an upright bike. I want to get something as close to a precor as possible. Now the Precor at the gym seems to have to wheel in the back and the incline panel in the front.

I'm looking at 2 models that are within my price range: the Walmart/Sportek brand and the Denise Austin.

Here are the links:

Walmart

Denise

Can anyone help me figure this out? Thanks.
missqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:20 PM   #2  
it's always something

I would suggest that you try out both versions and see what fits your body better. I bought the type with the wheel in the back and quickly regretted it, especially after finally trying the other kind. But other people prefer just the opposite.

If you haven't read it already, you might read my post from january about ellipticals from Consumer Reports magazine http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50314
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:06 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC
I would suggest that you try out both versions and see what fits your body better. I bought the type with the wheel in the back and quickly regretted it, especially after finally trying the other kind. But other people prefer just the opposite.

If you haven't read it already, you might read my post from january about ellipticals from Consumer Reports magazine http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50314
Thanks for your reply. Did the one with the wheel in front feel more like an upright bike to you? Or did the one in the back feel that way?
missqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 11:48 AM   #4  
it's always something

I personally thought the one with the wheel in the back felt more like an upright bike, due to the position of my feet when they moved, they angled downward. The one with the wheel in the front felt different to me. I've read that you should find one with a longer stride because a shorter stride also gives the feeling of an upright bike.

I would really suggest trying them both out. Maybe you can to to a sports store that has a wider range of models to choose from - even if you don't plan to purchase from them - just so you can try the different styles. Make note of the stride length of the ones that feel most comfortable to you.

I regret having ordered mine online without trying it out first, especially since I paid $700 for it That was in November. In January, I bought a new treadmill and found a good local sporting goods store, and I tried it out. I've not touched the elliptical since, other than to give it a good dusting, lol.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote