Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 05:37 PM   #1  
Determined to Lose!!!

Talking 300+ And Ready to Try Again #739!!!

WELCOME !!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

Last edited by BIGGIRL27; 07-08-2005 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:39 PM   #2  
Determined to Lose!!!

Whew! starting that new thread freaked me out.. I thought I would 'screw it up'

Hi Zena! Welcome! I know what you mean about the amount to lose feeling DAUTING. I started at 294 - a mere pound away from where you are (if I had waited another day I'm sure I would've been at 295 ) I basically came crawling to this site after trying to do it on my own for 3 weeks. I was on and off the GI Diet I used to 'forget' and find myself eating a cookie. These wonderful ladies have not only kept me focused, but have encouraged me when I was ready to stamp failure on my forhead and cuddle up with something chocolate. I wish the same for you. I'm loving your 5 lb increment goal scheme by the way. I might want to borrow that. I started out making 10 lb goals, but when my weight loss slowed down (for various reasons) it started depressing me!!!

Rosie, have you been to a doctor to discuss your depression? There are all sorts of natural things you could do to boost your mood - one of them is exercise, specifically yoga. There's also St Johns Wart and other natural remedies... maybe you could look into that? I have suffered from depression in the past and never benefitted from clinically prescribed drugs, but I found that yoga and herbal remedies helped me. I would say for you to try and get more involved, get out and meet new people, etc but it sounds to me like you can't seem to feel motivated to do those things. When I was like that, I had to work on myself in the above ways first, and then I could think about getting involved.

Jilly congrats on your big win! Yay!

Tasha, I agree with what other folks are saying. call the Dr but you also need to express your feelings and let them know that this blunder was unprofessional and inappropriate to say the least... that's crazy...

My darlings I think I'm back on track (I hope) I did some more hardcore exercising and also joined an end of summer challenge to lose 15 lbs... I am starting to feel a tad paranoid that this weight won't come off so hopefully that will give me the extra shove to stay on OP and focus on exercise.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:44 AM   #3  
Oooo Silly Me!

Biggirl - YAY! I have often thought about starting new threads but I too am afraid I might mess things up!

Man tonights league was exciting. I stuck my name in the handicapped sidepots (your game score with your handicap score added in) and I won 10 bucks Not bad Then I put my name in the roll a strike drawing. I put in 5 bucks worth.... (each raffle ticket is a buck). They called my name... the pot was 148 bucks! I had to roll a strike to win. MAN! I got up to the lane and the WHOLE ENTIRE league stopped and watched me. I was shaking... but man I got so nervous that I gripped my ball and pulled it to the left and missed my mark by a mile. WAH! That's okie, I'll try again next week see if they draw my name again hehehe.

It was a good day, but man I'm back to the desk to study for my calculus exam... wah!

Sue...
Old 07-09-2005, 11:17 AM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

suemarie--UGH, I remember calculus! They stuck me in calc 1 my very first semester of Freshman year even though I hadn't had a math class at all during my senior year of high school! I called and tried to get it changed, but they said my SAT scores were high enough that that's where I was placed. Umm, hello, there was no CALCULUS on the SAT! Anyway, it was a 4-credit class, which meant it was super-hard. I spent many a night crying over my calc book and homework, scribbling madly for hours and still getting the wrong answers. I lucked out in that one of my best friend's boyfriends was like super math and science genius (engineering major), and he was so sweet he sat and helped me out for hours on end. He was so patient with me crying, and he explained it to me so I could understand it much better than when the professor explained it! I ended up getting a B in the class But, boy, did I struggle for it! Later, I found out that I only actually needed Applied Calculus for my major (a 3-credit watered-down version of Calc 1). GRR! But I survived
Old 07-09-2005, 03:36 PM   #5  
Determined to Lose!!!

Talking

Hi Ladies,

I have fabulous news! We finally found a place! Hubby is so excited about its potential. I'm excited too (but the potential is key here because it's not 'finished') The decor is stuck in the '70s and it took a moment for me to get past that but I came around because these things can be changed (carpets, wall paper, etc) and the things that can't can be 'done up' to accentuate its age/specific style. For example, there is a 'retro' 70s fireplace (gas fire) in the living room and I hope to neutralize the room - carpets have got to go and the one wood panelled wall must be painted a la shabby chic! It's going to be sooo cool! We're getting a new kitchen fitted before move in day too. Anyway, this place is actually CHEAPER than our tiny one bed flat!!! We're paying £360 (roughly $648) now and the 2 BED HOUSE W/ GARDEN, AMPLE STORAGE AND THE HUGEST BATHROOM I'VE SEEN IN MY LIFE is only £340 (roughly $612)!!!! The bathroom looks like it was a master bedroom in another life. There's a bathtub and a separate shower and lots o space! I think I might do a magazine setup with a little seating area and a linen section - YaY!!! There's also a little room a few stairs above the 2nd floor that We're considering using as a second office. Hubby builds computers so will probably get the second bedroom as his office, but he's actually in love with the idea of making the little quirky room his 'computer workshop' I don't really mind, I just need a space to write. Anyway, the back patio is awesome - it's definitely a nice little suntrap and I've been dying to have a potted garden, so that should keep me busy. There's also a dining kitchen that's large enough to actually be a dining kitchen! and there's a pantry!!! Anyway, I'll stop blabbing on now, but we are sooo happy that the house hunt is over and we got such a great deal on a property that is ticking all of the boxes. It's also good that it needs redecorating b/c we can do it up in our own style and finally feel 'at home'. This past year in the flat may as well have been spent in a hotel. We've only hung up like 3 things and ended up buying a lot of neutral furniture b/c we knew it was only temporary. (OK, I said I would stop)

I'm getting pumped to do my aerobic exercise now- that would be 4 days straight I think! Yay!
Old 07-09-2005, 03:58 PM   #6  
Oooo Silly Me!

Jilly – sooooo does that mean you wanna help me with my calculus homework? I’m doing okie in the class, it’s just that some of the homework questions take FOREVER to answer. For example. I worked on one problem for 3 hours! I was trying to figure out why the heck my answer was half right. The answer in the back of the book was 2x-5/x^3/2 (3/2 is the exponent) I kept getting 4x^1/2 +2x-5/x^3/2 I dunno where that 4x^1/2 was coming from… So I called my dad and he explained it to me in like 2 minutes!!! That makes me soooo mad because the answer was so simple Okie that’s probably more than you wanted to hear huh? *grin* I had to vent … sorry hehehe….

Biggirl – CONGRATS!! I remember when James and I went house hunting. It was our first home. They were raising our rent to like $1200 a month. HECK with that! We went house hunting, and we found this small starter home that was in short sale. Meaning the family was loosing the house to foreclosure and they were trying to sell it before it foreclosed. Altho the banks had control of it, it wasn’t techinically a foreclosure. I think that’s what it means…. Either way we saw it, and I walked in and the minute I walked into the house I was like… THIS IS MINE! It took 6 months for everything to go through. Saw it in March moved in August 10, 2001 Well actually the house became ours August 10th, but we took a month to clean it up and moved in September 10th hhehhe…. I can feel your excitement!! Is this your first home? Hehehe I’m getting giddy just thinking about it! I’m so happy for you Now I want a new house On a side note… our rent would have been about $1200 a month, and when we got this house, our house payments are way lower! My mom is looking for a new house and she has taken me with her a few times…. The newer homes make me jealous. They have built in cables for internet, some even have remote access so you can start your tub… SHEESH! But what I like, is what you mentioned, the separate tub and shower, walk in Closets, separate central air and heating so that if you are in one part of the house you can use the ac there instead of ac’ing the whole house… Okie, I think I’m rambling on heheh.. but I’m excited for ya! I think I’m gonna go house shopping now Congrats!

Today I have my sisters engagement party. It will be a Thai ceremony. So all my sisters who are out here from Ohio will be dressed in Thai attire and I think there will be monks there to bless the couple. Will be my first experience with a Thai ceremony. My three older sisters are from my mothers previous marriage. They are full Thai. I’m excited for the experience.

I woke up with a major migraine and it seems Aunt Flo and Uncle TOM have decided to visit. My body is feeling like blah and stiff and my arm is really sore from that tetanus shot. I can still feel the knot where they shot me. BUT! My foot feels better and I could bowl last night as you can see in my previous post.

One of my rats (Sebastian) seems to be getting weaker with his old age. He’s having a hard time walking. I’ve been feeding him some ensure just to give him a little extra yummy in his tummy in case he’s not feeling up to going up the ramp to get food. I moved his water bottle and food bowl down to the lower level just in case. But he seems to like being pampered and enjoys the ensure. Unfortunately I can’t hold him cause I break out in hives. So I had to wear long sleeves and cloth gloves to hold him once my last two rats go, no more for me. Then I’ll combine their cage with Heidi’s (my Chihuahua) cage and make sure a super condo. The spoiled brat! Okie I’ve probably talked everyones ear off, so I’m outta here heheh….

Take care everyone!
Sue…
Old 07-10-2005, 04:02 AM   #7  
Proud Coastie Wife

Well, I did it. I went back to WW with the attitude that it was from 'this day forward' no looking back, no worrying about what if I had done this differently. And it felt good. I have set some small goals along the way, and am working hard to get more exercise. I quit smoking and am trying to cut back on my diet coke, but quitting both at the same time makes me one crabby mama!!! So I will quit smoking and worry about the diet coke later. I am worried about gaining, but have been keeping my busy.

I will write more later. It is midnight here now and I should be getting to bed.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:50 AM   #8  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

The second hurricane of the season to come close by just waved and went on. We had one burst of heavy rain yesterday, and high wind in just gusts. I'm from Oklahoma originally, so if the wind doesn't get over 50 mph, I hardly notice. All it did was break our heat wave, and allow us to turn off the air conditioning. I spent most of the morning writing a long letter to my Catholic Singles match. He lives in Edmonton. I don't think they get hurricanes there. I am hopefully optimistic at this point. It can be very hard to find a devout Catholic man, who can still marry in the church, shares your values, and doesn't mind being with a fat chick. That's what this web site is set up for. It says you have to be open to the possibility of moving a distance. Trading in hurricanes for blizzards is a biiigggg step. We have just started talking, so I am just playing wait and see at this point.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:27 AM   #9  
Because I deserve it!

S/C/G: 315.4/311/165

Height: 5'11"

Biggirl - Thank you for the warm welcome. And congratulations on your home purchase. I just love to hear how excited people are when they buy a home and are making all those plans for changing it and making it their own.

Suemarie/jillybean - UGH! I am getting flashbacks to college calculus. I seriously think all college calculus profs are horrible teachers. I actually took calculus in high school as a senior and I clearly remember being in class in college completely baffling. I would practically be in tears doing my homework. It was so frustrating because I knew most of what we were covering I had learned the year before in high school, but something about the way it was presented by the prof. left me completely in the dark. Somehow I pulled a B out in that class though. To this day I have no idea how!!

One Tall Mama - yay! Another tall girl! I'm 5'11". I am also trying to cut back on the Diet Cokes so I know how tough it can be. I don't know about you, but I am addicted to those suckers! And congratulations to recommitting to WW.

hippievanlady - Good luck to your with your Catholic Singles match. I admire people who are actively "out there" and trying to find someone to be happy with. I have been divorced since 2000 and have found it very difficult to really put myself out there like that.

As for me, yesterday a friend of mine moved and I spent several hours helping her unpack. It was fun and we had lots of laughs, but also was alot of work. Today I plan to spend in my "home office", aka, the Pit of Paper. I need to get organized in there. It's ridiculous!!!! Tomorrow is my weigh in. I have done well, but not great. Am not expecting a big drop, but am cautiously optimistic in hoping for a small change.

Also, I posted by "before" pics in my 3FC gallery. I plan to post progress pics every so often.

Have a great Sunday everyone!
Old 07-10-2005, 12:26 PM   #10  
Proud Coastie Wife

Xena: Yeppers I am 6'2". Sounds like you had a great time with your friend!

Hippie: I will keep you in my thoughts thru hurricane season.

Sue: The ceremony sounds beautiful! I hope you have a great time.

Biggirl: CONGRATS ON THE NEW PLACE!!!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:36 AM   #11  
Hangin' out in the Kudzu

Default Soggy But Still Standing

Hi Chicks!

I've been MIA on the thread for a few days. SO much going on and then there was the Hurricane. Looks like we really dodged a bullet with this one. The eye passed about 40 miles west of where I am, so there are downed trees and power out, but I think we are better off than we were with Ivan. My beloved Panama City (where I always beach vacation) got whomped, but I think they are better off as well. I was watching the news and they panned by the hotel where we always stay and it was good to see that it is still there...lol!

BIGGIRL - YAY for your house!!!! We'll all be waiting for the invitation to the housewarming party...lol. Some good friends of mine moved into a new house back in February and they had a "House Blessing" party. They are not really religious people, but they had friends come over and as we went through the house in each room, people would share good wishes for events that would happen in that room. For example, in the bedroom (get your minds out of the gutter!!) friends wished for them that their marrage would always be strong, communication open and that they would never go to sleep angry. In the room that is now the nursery (she was 5 months pregnant at the time) friends wished for health and happiness and joy for their child...In the kitchen, we wished for there to always be an abundance of things that they need and that Marie's hands would be blessed as she prepared meals. It was a really sweet party.
Also, I heartily agree about the benifits of Yoga. I don't know what I would have done without it over the past couple of years. Just the centering and clearing your mind that it brings adds about 5 years onto my life, I think...lol.

SueMarie/Jillybean
My thoughts on calculus - OY! I stand in awe of chicks who can do anything past basic math. WORDS...I got. NUMBERS.....just say no!

One Tall Mama - I so admire you for getting back to WW and for quitting smoking. THAT is SO HARD. I never smoked, but I have many friends who have quit over the years and it takes STRENGTH...You go girl! I struggle all the time with whether I should go back to WW or not. It is just so DIFFICULT for me to fail in front of others. And, of course, a gain should NOT be viewed as a failure. You only fail if you quit trying all together. However, my goofy brain has a difficult time accepting that, you know?

hippievanlady - I am so keeping my fingers crossed for you and this guy! Finding someone who shares your values and beliefs is a treasure, as I am sure you know. My unsolicited advice - Take it slowly. That's what Scott and I are doing. And it feels unthreatening and we both know that we have all the time we need to get to know one another. And besides, that anticipation thing is, in many ways, better than the thing itself...lol. Here's some "too much information" for you - (but if you can't share with your chicks, who can you share with) - Scott hasn't kissed me yet, but we are going out again this weekend. And, you know, from our conversations, I just have that "feeling" like that's going to happen. And I love the butterflies I get thinking about it. Lord, Please don't let him have bad breath.

Blessings to all you chickies! I've missed you and am glad to be back!

OP today....Planning to Walk Away the Pounds with my sis this evening. YAY!
Old 07-11-2005, 11:12 AM   #12  

Smile

Good Morning Ladies!

Well, the weekend as usual was too short. Got virtually nothing accomplished yesterday yet found no time to recover from Saturday. Went to a "skinny" friends house for beer and pizza Saturday night. Yep. Beer and Pizza. Not even light beer. And although I mostly ate mushroom pizza, I also had a piece of meat lovers too and three big pieces total. I was full after two, but I'd just been wanting pizza for so long! So I'm got back on track Sunday. Heck, if you can't do what normal people do every once in a while, what's the point?

Yesterday I made this fabulous pasta sauce using my skillet zucchini recipe I posted on our recipe thread. Used two cans of diced tomatoes in place of the fresh and a can of tomato paste to thicken it, with lots of yummy herbs and spices. Made a ton of sauce for very nearly zero points! Of course, I'll be eating it for the next two days since it made so much.

Biggirl: Congrats on the house! I loved house hunting when we were buying especially, but also when we were renting. I just love checking out new places. It's always so exciting.

Bamamom: Glad to see you didn't blow away. My friend who used to live in Alabama called me yesterday morning to tell me she was watching the hurricane coming toward her old hometown. She was one of those people who actually liked the hurricanes. Personally, I think she's nuts.

OneTallMama and Xena: Welcome ladies! Very glad to have taller women than me here! I'm 5'10" myself. I'm sure you've noticed that clothing manufacturers don't believe that you can be both tall and fat at the same time. Yep, being tall is great, in that we carry the weight better, but it has it's own set of problems. OneTallMama: Wow, trying to lose weight, quit smoking, and quit drinking soda all at the same time would be rough! I've actually had a Dr. tell me not to try to lose weight and quit smoking together! I wouldn't give a 2nd thought to the Coke, as long as you are drinking enough water too!

Catherine: Good luck with the long-distance romance! At least, romance is what I'm hoping for you. I have a friend who met her husband on-line thru a singles thing. It happens!

SueMarie: Ugh! Calculus? I have a hard time even spelling it! I became a lawyer specifically because there was no math required! I was lucky to help my son with his 4th grade math last year!

Well ladies, back to the grind. Have a happy, healthy OP day!
Old 07-11-2005, 11:16 AM   #13  
~ Trying again ~

Good morning ladies, sorry I haven’t been around much.

I’ve been so busy at work, and haven’t had much time to post here. I’ve also been feeling really guilty about my eating.

I started this journey so pumped, and motivated. I did well for the first two weeks, and then BOOM… I fell off the wagon. I tried to get back on plan, but that didn’t work too well. Needless to say, I have not been OP in about a week now.

I have eaten fast food on several occasions, and ate terribly at a family party yesterday. It’s amazing how food can make you feel so guilty.

I’ve also not been at the gym since Friday. That’s mostly because I pulled a muscle on the right side of my back, and it really hurts.

I know that it is only one week off my plan, and I can get back on if I put my mind to it. So today I am going to try my best to get back OP and stay OP.

I am not going to keep feeling guilty because of what I did in the past…it stops here.

I am just so thankful that there is a place like 3FC, with wonderful friends like you all, to come to. I don’t know that I would be able to do this without all of the support that I get here.

Well, I’m sorry that this is so short. I just wanted to update everyone on what’s going on here. Today is a new day and I will succeed!

More later!
Kari
Old 07-11-2005, 11:29 AM   #14  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Chin up, ladies! We all fall of the wagon at some point. I had Denny's for breakfast yesterday and a Burger King bacon cheddar ranch burger for dinner However, I knew yesterday was going to be rough, so on Saturday, I ate nothing but fruits and vegetables. That's right, NO meat, NO refined carbs, nothin'! I figure vegetarians can do it every day, so I can handle it once Anyway, that amounted to less than 1000 calories for the day on Saturday (I know it is unhealthy to normally be below 1200, but it was only one day, and believe me, I made up for it the next day!). I guess my point is just that no matter how much you goof up your plan, you can make up for it in other ways, and the best way to make up for it is to get RIGHT back on track! No excuses, just climb right back up on your high healthy horse and do it, which most of us here seem to be pretty darn good at doing--we sure are a resilient bunch!
Old 07-11-2005, 11:39 AM   #15  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

I just got back from the pool. I swear that crazy instructor tried to drown me today. The first class is regular water aerobics consisting of stretching, range of motion, then aerobics and cool down. The second class is deep water, which has some stretching for those who don't take the first class, then a variety of different kinds of laps: crawl, bicycling, side, back, etc. Today at the end she added some of what I would call water ballet. My butt is so much more bouyant than my top part, so when we start putting legs in the air, my head goes under. I made sure I spit the water I was swallowing her direction when I came up for air. She's a great teacher, also on the large side, but incredibly fit for someone her size. I'm not sure I'd enjoy the class as much if the instructor was a skinny young thing.

Here's something for motivational Monday. A woman came up to me after the class and said that she had seen me through the glass taking the class every day when she went to the coke machine after taking a yoga class. She had been wanting and needing to get into the pool, but had been too self conscience to get into a bathing suit. After seeing me do it, it gave her the confidence to try the class two weeks ago. She just wanted me to know that I had made an impact on a stranger. She works for the sheriff's office, and if she doesn't lose weight and get her blood pressure down, she'll lose her job. So chickie's, every time you are seen in the pool, on a bike, or in the gym, you may be giving someone else the courage to try, or to stick with it. Let that knowledge give you the courage to get after it.
Closed Thread