Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 12:03 PM   #1  
PJ
Senior Member since 1998

Default Wow! I didn't know this....did you?

I was doing some reading on the HOME page here and found this...all of you probably know this already...but I didn't and was very happy to see that WALKING is better for your metabolism.

Walking vs. Running. According to Dr. Dean Ornish, "All things being equal, you will burn more calories by running an hour than walking an hour. It is true that walking a mile will burn more calories than running a mile -- although it takes longer to do so. When you run a mile, you're burning mostly sugar, or carbohydrates, which is how your body gives you fast energy in bursts. When you walk a mile, it gives your metabolism time to switch from burning carbohydrates to burning fat. The risk of injury -- whether shin splints or knee injuries or back pain -- is directly proportional to the intensity of exercise. So is the risk of sudden cardiac death. Walking gives you most of the health benefits of more intensive exercise while minimizing these risks. More is better, but only if you do it consistently. So, if you want to burn the maximum amount of calories, then run for an hour rather than walking for an hour. But do it consistently; otherwise, you're better off walking. "

Last edited by PJ; 07-09-2005 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:12 PM   #2  
Melissa

Good.. because I can't run thanks to a bad knee! I recently started using our treadmill more (thanks to the massive amounts of rain we have been getting here) and I noticed that I can burn MANY more calories in an hour if I walk with it on incline. I also noticed that if I put it on "pause" every 10 minutes or so and get off to go lift some free weights .. I can last longer on the thing without being completely bored or exhausted. Thanks for the info!
Old 07-09-2005, 01:40 PM   #3  
PJ
Senior Member since 1998

Default Hi cuqt,

I see you're in Jacksonville. I'm in Stuart (Eastcoast). I go to Okeechobee alot for rodeos, barrel racing competitions, etc. Jacksonville has really GROWN since I last saw it several years ago. I was in Tenn. for a few months and got back a couple of months ago...on the ride up and back I went through Jacksonville and couldn't believe how much it's changed and grown. Same for many places in Florida I suppose. Definitely not for just Elderly folks anymore. I'm glad we're not getting any of the storm...although it IS very windy out today. I'm enjoying the breeze while it lasts.......take care.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:29 PM   #4  

Any movement is good - last month I was in Vegas for a tradeshow, and walked all over the place - ended up losing 5lbs in the process! Of course, did I keep up that momentum once I got back home? 'Course not! Bad girl! But I know I need to get moving if I actually want to lose some weight - thanks for passing that along, PJ!
Old 07-15-2005, 08:08 AM   #5  

Hi Elaine:

I think I recommit every day.

It's hot and humid in Virginia. How is Boston?

Freddie
Old 07-15-2005, 10:00 AM   #6  
WW online (pts plus)

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I'm glad to know the walking thing.... I hate running, LOL!
Old 07-22-2005, 09:52 PM   #7  

Sorry for hte delay reply - it's been a crazy week!

Still working on that "e" word stuff, Freddie, so I guess we can recommit every day together!

Boston has been like living in a rain forest - very high humidity and temperatures to match. The last few days haven't been too bad, but I can hear thunder booming overhead, so it looks like we're about to get some more moisture again....
Old 07-23-2005, 11:21 AM   #8  
PJ
Senior Member since 1998

Default Way To Go Amy!!!!!

coooooool!!!!!!!! Lost those 10 pounds you wanted by vacation.....AWESOME! Keep going...I love to read posts like that!
Hope you're all staying cool in this heat wave.
Closed Thread