Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 10:19 PM   #1  
Proud Slimmin' Sista!

Default Hello everyone!

Well, I am definitely new here; I found the website about an hour and a half ago! Haha! I rarely ever join forums, but I figured this one would be different.

So, on to the introduction: I am 23 years old, 211 pounds, and 5'3". Yeah. As my mom tells me (and she means it as nicely as mothers can mean things like this), I am "too young to be this weight." So, I've decided to make some serious changes in my life. I have been seeing a personal trainer since January of this year, with little result besides strength improvement, which is good in and of itself. But we all wanna be a little smaller, right? So, I finally clued-in as to why the personal training wasn't working: I wasn't eating right! So, last Saturday I joined Weight Watchers (which is where I was given the web address for 3fc.com).

And I have to say, I am really liking this little tracker thingy. I can't wait to watch it slide down as I lose weight!

And I look forward to meeting all of you! You all seem like a great, supportive bunch of people.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:43 PM   #2  
getting healthy

Welcome

I just joined here yesterday myself. I am 24 yrs old, 5'3 and currently 191, so we're in the same boat. I know what you mean about mothers lol, my mom's words were "lose this weight while you are young" I am eating healthier, counting calories and trying to be more active. It has been working so far, so I'm excited. I bet you will do great too If you need a buddy or someone to talk to, don't hesitate to message me or leave a post!

--Gina

Current goal:

Old 07-06-2005, 11:03 PM   #3  
Proud Slimmin' Sista!

Haha! My mom says that too. It's sometimes one or the other...depending on her mood and whether or not I'm listening. But seriously, I'm really thrilled that there's somebody else on here who's in a similar boat as mine!

I saw you lost 12 pounds! Congratulations!! May I ask about how long it took you to lose it? I'm trying to remind myself to set realistic and attainable goals, haha. Though sometimes it's nice to fantasize that one workout will equal all the weight loss I want.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:25 PM   #4  
getting healthy

Thank you! It took me about 2 months to lose that. I have also had days where I didn't eat that great, and it didn't set me back too much, just as long as I got back on track the next day. In previous attempts to lose weight, if I didn't do so well one day, I figured I blew it and would give up. I am not doing that this time around lol. I know how you feel, would be nice for it to just melt off, but of course it will take time. It's been gradual for me, I see sometimes people drop a lot at one time, but its been staying off for me so I am happy about that. As long as the scale is going down I am glad. Sometimes after I exercise I already feel thinner , I know its in my own mind, but it keeps me going and helps me feel good knowing I am doing something good for myself. But you are definitely not alone, I know what you're going through

--Gina
Old 07-06-2005, 11:59 PM   #5  
Proud Slimmin' Sista!

Wow...two months is awesome! Yeah, filling thinner after a workout happens to me, too, sometimes--mostly because my personal trainer is so wonderfully encouraging. And really, I hated excercising before because I had a warped sense of how long it took the weight to come off, but now...I dunno, somehow it's just clicked. Like you said, it does feel good to know that I'm doing something good for myself.

It's also nice when I see results in my excerise routine. Today, for example, I was doing a regular round of cardio when I realized I was going longer and harder than I usually do. That was an amazing boost!
Old 07-07-2005, 12:00 AM   #6  
Proud Slimmin' Sista!

Er...feeling...not filling. Sorry. My cat was walking on my lap when I was typing that out.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:07 AM   #7  
getting healthy

No problem lol My cat likes to walk across my keyboard too, she thinks its a bridge for her to get to other furniture. That's great that you were going longer than usual! I think as long as we stick to our guns we'll do great Having somoene who knows how it goes sure doesn't hurt either

--Gina
Old 07-07-2005, 10:44 PM   #8  

Hi.

I'm new here myself. Joined a few days ago. I'm 5'1 and 183. I don't have a cat but do have a hamster. Just don't tell your cats that or they might get hungry. Ha, ha. Anyway, I did WW but it didn't seem to work for me. Not that I'm discouraging anyone, different things work for different people. I've been working out quite a bit and have done well eating, so we'll see how it goes.
Food has been the biggest problem for me. Its not that I really like to eat, but its comforting and my vice, I guess. But I have done better in the food dept. and have been exercising a lot. I mainly eat a lot of fruits and veggies, drink H20 and coffee (i think i'm replacing food with coffee. i'll work on that one.)

Anyway, Good job on all the weight loss! If anyone needs anything, I'll be checking this site out every few days or so. Take care everyone

~ralph
Old 07-08-2005, 02:06 AM   #9  
getting healthy

Hi Ralph

I won't tell my cat, because she loves to hunt and chase things, mainly bugs lol. Glad to hear you are doing well with your eating and exercise. I usually do pretty good with my food, and I'm trying to step up my exercising. The weekends are my toughest times for food choices, so the weekend is here and I am going to do my best! It was nice to hear from you, and I am sure I will see you here again

--Gina
Old 07-08-2005, 03:40 PM   #10  

Hey!

I don't know if this will help you or not. I found that I had the same problems over the weekends, eating too much of the wrong stuff. But I found a way to at least help me get through it and not pig out too much. I like to either do one of two things:

1) try new recipies for my main meals. My boyfriend and I like different foods (chinese, french, thai, etc..) so we pick a receipe from the books here at home or take a trip to the bookstore (grap a cup of coffee, no whipped cream. its still just as good and 1/2 the calories if you add the whipped. i looked it up online once) and pick stuff that appeals to you and healthy at the same time. its actually eaiser then it sounds. there is a ton of stuff to cook out there, you just need to find it.

2) Have a stir-fry weekend. Just buy your favorite veggies and different stir-fry sauces and have a ball. also try different meats, such as chicken, steak, even shrimp or tofu cook well.

and if drinking is your problem over the weekend, well.. i haven't figured out a solution for that yet. but i hope this gives you a few ideas to win the weekend.

have a good one! let me know how it goes.

~ralph

Old 07-08-2005, 03:49 PM   #11  
getting healthy

Thank you for the tips ralph Sounds like a good idea. We also go out to eat on weekends sometimes, so that can be challenging. Luckily most places have healthier choices to select from, which is what I try to do. I just try my best and keep pushing forward. There are days where I go over what I should, but I've learned to not let that stop me completely and to get right back on, which is what used to happen in previous tries to lose weight, I would just say forget it I screwed up and I blew it lol. Not anymore! I do drink sometimes on the weekend, but its usually only a couple light beers, I don't go overboard or do it all the time. I think moderation is important too, if you totally deprive yourself you're going to have a harder time doing it. So sometimes I give in to cravings here and there, but I just don't go nuts with it lol. Thanks again for your response and talk to you soon

--Gina
Old 07-09-2005, 08:52 PM   #12  
Amanda

Calpurnia
Hi I'm 26 and used to be 218. My mom never said anything to me but I wish she had. My mom and dad are divored and my dad is the one that I got the weight problem genes from (if there is such a thing). So my mom was too scared to say anything for fear of relating me to him. bless her heart!!!
My mom is happy that I've lost weight. I've been working on it for 4 years now.
I love this site because it helps me find other people that know what it's like. And yound people like me too. I sometimes feel like people look at me and can never know what I've been through and go through every day in my kitchen /pantry. I see you all talking about restaraunts above and they are my biggest nemesis. All that food and my body, heart, soul combating eachother over eating something good for me vs something that I will enjoy UNTIL I see the scales the next day.
Do any of you ever feel like you actually "attached" to food. Like it's a friend that makes you feel soooo good but when they're with you but they talk about you behind your back when you're not around. I feel like food does that to me. love it when I'm eating and hate it the next day on the scales.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:13 AM   #13  

Well, as a mother of an obese 23 year old, I am afraid I am one of the ones who says to lose it while you are young. It is so much easier to lose it then. I am part of weight watchers on line too and they give you a list to take with you to various restaurtants that helps you decide what some of the really good choices are to make for low calorie dishes.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:30 PM   #14  

Hello all

My mother never really said anything, weight was not a problem for me until I reached about my final year of high school. When I got into college, I lost the "freshman 15" instead of gaining it. A few years later, I moved to New Jersey and gained much of it back and then some. So by then I had moved out of the house and my mom and I talked about other things, weight doesn't usually come up. But she did struggle with her weight for the longest time. (Both my mother and father struggled. However, my father was 6'4, so it was easy for him to loose. My mother was not so fortunate and I fear I may have her genes. Yuck.) After she had my younger brother, she didn't loose the weight until about 11 years ago when she got very ill and her meds took away her appitite.

However, my boyfriend is on my case about it. I know he means well, but it doesn't make it any eaiser to lose weight. I feel bad most of the time, not because of him but because I am fat and its such a struggle for me. I think that's where the food came in. It's not as bad as it use to be, but I think there is a part of me that finds it comforting, it doesn't critize or hurt (until later when I gain the weight), but feels good. I don't know if that makes sense. Like I said before, I don't actually like to eat, or rather I don't care about it one way or another is a better way of putting it. But there is something to be said about the way I feel, which is why I'm here to begin with. So Amanda (by the way, your picture is very pretty), yes, i did feel attached to it, maybe still to a certain extent. But i have been able to grab the bull by the horns and control it more now then I could before. That has helped me out alot ( I use to be nearly 200lbs. YIKES!!!) But when I do go out now, I eiher get a salad (esp. in the summer months when its too hot to eat anything else) or if i do get a steak ( for example) i only eat about half of it, and get rice and veggies to go with it.

I am unsure if being young has everything to do with making it eaiser to lose weight. I'm 25, put on the weight when i was nearly 21 and have had a very hard time since. It takes me forever to take off the weight, so although I think age does have something to do with it, I also think its genes (heradity), whether or not you've had children, stress and other enviromental factors that come into play as well. Of course, I can't prove any of this, but I think its worth considering.

I hope you're not alseep after reading my note. I guess I'm a little upset right now with the whole weight issue. Its so hard and such a long struggle and even with a lot of work it seems to mean very little.

So, everyone take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend. And thanks for taking the time to read this. and sorry about the spelling mistakes. wrote this one out a little fast.

~ralph.

Old 07-11-2005, 08:21 PM   #15  
Amanda

o Ralph,
I just wanna give you a big ole "it's be ok speech"!!!!
I know where you're at right now. I've been there (218 top weight of mine) and it's such a lonely place. Funny thing is for such a loney / down place there sure are a lot of people there!!! Look at everyone here....it's amazing how many people want to change and just need the helping hand.
Do you ever feel like you were doomed from the start because of your parents' genes?
My father is overweight and a yo=yo dieter and I feel like part of eating habits started with him. He used to make us homemade french fry chips in the deep fryer until we wanted to pop open!!! no vegitarian meals at our house as a kid that's for sure
I'm trying right now to beat the late night munchies. My dad used to sleep walk and eat ..... now there's issues for you.

Anyway - I'm praying for you and just keep talking to all of us. We'll help eachother one way or another.

Amanda
Closed Thread