Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-29-2005, 08:53 AM   #1  
Alis Volat Propriis

Default But who is taking care of YOU?

Like I said in my last post, a lack of planning wound up in my being stuck in a nutritional wasteland with no lunch. The bigger issue, however, is how perfectly this situation exemplifies what I think are two of the keys to healthy eating: 1) planning ahead and 2) making sure to make time for yourself, even something as simple as allowing enough time in the morning to pick up what you need for a good lunch.

Last night, I decided I wanted to drop off some cool drinks and frozen grapes this morning to my sweetie and his co-workers, who work in a garage where it's stifling hot some days. No problem, I would do anything for him because he is the love of my life. So I put the grapes in the freezer last night and planned to drop them off before I stopped and picked up my lunch and headed for work. This morning, even though I knew I had an extra stop to make, I putzed around the house long enough that I didn't have time to make both stops. So I stopped by his work (and got wonderful kisses, so I guess it worked out! LOL) and then rushed to my work. What I should have done was get up a little earlier, or leave a little sooner, or resign myself to being a few minutes late for work. But however I worked it out, I should have made sure to get my lunch.

It was a throwback to the unhealthy thinking that got me to where I am weight- and health-wise. Take care of others better than I take care of myself. Thankfully, I'm aware now that I can take care of myself AND other people. And some people, I just have to let take care of their own selves and their own "stuff." Like when a coworker tries to bully me into working on a project to suit HER timetable and I wind up working through lunch so that I am ravenous beyond the point of control when I do finally eat.

Man, it's the little things like that, those little nuances of the day, that can help make or break you. Or me, at least. And the funny thing is, if you aren't taking care of yourself, you really can't take care of other people in any meaningful way. It's like when you're on a plane and they tell you in case of an emergency to put on your own oxygen mask even before you put on your child's. In order for us to nurture and nourish those people we love, we have to make sure our own wells have't run dry.
Quite-a-Handful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:00 AM   #2  

I know exactly where you are coming from on this one. A couple of months ago I had a doctor appointment scheduled in the middle of the day. I had made myself a lunch to bring with the night before. I was 5 miles away from home when I realized I had forgotten my lunch bag. I am NOT a late person. I absolutely hate to be late for anything. I was shocked when I found myself turning around to go home and get my lunch. It had finally become more important to me to lose weight and be healthy than my issues with time. I was 10 minutes late getting to the doctors office and then sat in the waiting room for an hour. I was glad I had my lunch!

Next time - be late and stop to by yourself a healthy lunch! Or better yet, make it the night before. Good luck!
sherpamelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:21 AM   #3  
FerretNose

*Yesterday evening, 5pm:*

"I'm going for my walk at 6:30. I plan on walking for an hour instead of 30 minutes today. I have to increase my time and speed."

"So, when you get back will you fix my food? "

"No, I'm going to fix your food before I go. If I don't, the whole time I'm walking I'll be thinking how I have to get home and fix your dinner. It's already cooked, anyway."

"Okay, but I really don't think I'll be ready to eat right now, I probably won't be hungry until ***while you're gone***. "

"Well, then you can fix it yourself if I'm not back yet. I repeat: it's already cooked. Just put it on the plate and nuke it. Why do I need to be here just to fix your plate? I'm not letting your inability to put food on a plate and warm it in the microwave stop me from walking the extra half hour that I plan on. And I'm not fixing jack **** when I get home. If I get home and you still haven't eaten because you're waiting for me to put it on a plate for you, I'm going to be pissed. "

"Okay, I'll fix it myself, no problem. I didn't realize I was hindering you somehow. "

"That's okay, baby. Now I'll put it on a plate for you, and stick it in the microwave, and that way you can just heat it up while I'm gone. How's that?"

"Okay, thanks! That'll work!"

FerretNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 11:47 AM   #4  
Going all the way!!!

S/C/G: 183/183/130

Height: 5'2"

WOW, you're a lot nicer than me...it would have gone this way had I been there:

"I'm going for my walk at 6:30. I plan on walking for an hour instead of 30 minutes today. I have to increase my time and speed."

"I'm going to eat before I leave. If you don't want what I'm having that's fine...you are a big boy who knows where the kitchen is."

"But I'm not hungry right now."

"Sounds like a personal problem."

"Fine then be that way!"

"OK"

*FatChristy chows down on a Healthy Choice meal and carrots*

HAHAHAHAHA!!
TheNewChristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:41 PM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

HAHAHA, I have to go a little more toward the Christy way of thinking here...my scenario would have been a little more like this:

"Fix your food? Why can't you fix your own food?"

"Well, I don't know how to cook, and you're just so much better at it than I am."

"Aww, that's sweet...but no, I'm definitely still going for my walk, and I am so not going to want to cook when I get back. If you're hungry while I'm gone, you know where I keep the peanut butter, jelly, and bread. Grab a knife and have at it."

"Can't we just go out and get something when you get back?"

"Nope--I'm hungry now, so I'm gonna have my turkey burger. If you're hungry now, I'll make you a turkey burger while I'm making mine anyway, but after that, you're on your own."

"Fine. I'll just have a sandwich or something later then." (pouty face)

"Don't you look at me like that. You're a big boy--I'm pretty sure you can fend for yourself."

"But Jiiiiiiiiiiiiill..."

"Ugh, forget it! I'm just going to go for my walk NOW so I don't have to listen to you whine!" (stick my tongue out at him and leave)

Then when I get back from my walk, Jeff has managed to figure out the mystery of the frying pan so he could cook 2 turkey burgers--a bit on the "Cajun-style" side (burnt), but he at least made an effort. Gotta learn how to train 'em right
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:34 PM   #6  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

Since Hub-ster and I aren't the best cooks, our conversation would have gone something like this:

"What do you want to do about dinner?"

"I dunno"

"Is take-out ok?"

"Fine. You know what I can and can't have. But I really need the computer tonight when I get back to log my stuff into FitDay. I'm already 2 days behind."

*Grumble grumble*

"You know very well you can use the other computer to go online. My stuff is only on the one, and I can't help it if it's the newer one."

*Grumble grumble*
Betani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:29 AM   #7  

Talking

I am blissfully (sort of) divorced!! So my conversation would have went like this...

"I'm going for my walk at 6:30. I plan on walking an hour instead of 30 minutes today. I have to increase my time and speed."

"Mom, what's for dinner?"

"Dunno, I'll fix us something when I get back, but if you are too hungry to wait snack on a little something while I'm gone."

"Okay."

"*%#&%** well it looks like your dad has shot the front glass door out with his BB gun again."

such is life.
mom of 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:55 PM   #8  

Height: 5'1"

This looks like so much fun I thought I would join in.

Mine would go something like this:

I'm going for my walk, I'll be gone an extra 1/2 hour!

Ok, see you when you get back! Want me to fix dinner?

This is my imiginary husband!
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:58 PM   #9  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

Wow, can you have your imaginary husband talk to my real, absentminded one?
Betani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 02:05 PM   #10  
Alis Volat Propriis

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me
This looks like so much fun I thought I would join in.

Mine would go something like this:

I'm going for my walk, I'll be gone an extra 1/2 hour!

Ok, see you when you get back! Want me to fix dinner?

This is my imiginary husband!

LOL. I'm not "officially" married, but God has blessed me with this kind of man. And, yes, I do thank Him every night. LOL
Quite-a-Handful is offline   Reply With Quote