Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 06-28-2005, 12:07 PM   #1  

Default Broccoli and the Thyroid

I was very surprised to read, in an article by Mary Shomon, that broccoli, cauliflower, kale and brussel sprouts should be eaten moderately for people with thyroid issues. According to the author, these foods contain enzymes that promote goiter formation and can inhibit the thyroid hormone, especially if eaten raw.

Has anyone here with thyroid issues limited their intake of these veggies? If so, what are your alternatives?

I eat a lot of broccoli, etc. in salads to help in dieting and because these veggies are anti-cancer and because I actually LIKE broccoli! I have a benign lesion on my thyroid, but the TSH test is in normal range. My doctor doesn't want to test me further, even though I have signs of thyroid disorder, because he says my thyroid is fine.

I will seek a second opinion, but in the meantime, I'm wondering if anyone has had the experience of seeing nodules/goiters increase due in part to diet.
Gladdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

I eat alot of broccoli and cauliflower and brussel sprouts and haven't had anything abnormal happen and my levels are checked every 3 months.
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:39 PM   #3  

Hi Gladdy,

My doctor said that "a lot" of these veggies is more than one pound a day. If you eat more than a pound a day of these, I would consider steaming some of it.

Take Care,
Katy
KatyDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:22 PM   #4  

Thanks for the tip, Katy!
G
Gladdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:49 PM   #5  

The only thing I avoid due to my thyroid condition is soy. I eat broccoli, brussel sprouts and cauliflower and have not seen any ill effects. I avoid soy like the plague because I have experienced thyroid related problems after eating it.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote