Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-25-2005, 11:12 AM   #1  

Default Swelling ?

Hi all.
I use to be a "religious" exerciser, then sporatic,.then became a schlub.. Anyway I've recommitted to doing 30 /60 minutes daily at least 6 days a week. I plan to get reacquainted with my step and aerobic tapes and free weights..but for now I am walking at least 3 miles a day after warm up. My question is one I've had for awhile...

My hands and sometimes wrists swell up during my walks. Seems mostly in the heat. 1) Is this normal ,2) is it due to excess water or sodium, 3) is it a cardiopulmonary issue? My average walks are 3miles per hour.

I am 5'0, 182 pounds,
Thanks for your help !
Schatzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 11:25 AM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

This is not a medical opinion in any way but I find that when I go outside in a lot of heat (especially when it is very humid) I don't even have to get my heart pumping too much to find my hands and feet swelling. If I do anything very strenuous my fingers turn into little sausages. When I first started going to the gym (in the A/C) my hands would swell very slightly but now after a few months this doesn't happen any more.
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 01:32 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Remember to drink lots of water before and after your workout....Having said this my hands swell summer and winter when I walk, when I run it's not as bad.... As I'm typing this I'm thinking, is it because our arms are down by our sides when we walk?. I tend to walk with my hands down but run with my arms at a 90 degree angle maybe that's the difference. The swelling I get goes away as soon as I drink water when I get home. I never swell at the gym for some reason and maybe it's because I am at the water fountain inbetween almost every set... Something to ponder...

I think if it persists for a long time after your workout see your doctor to clear any other problems that it may be cause by...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 04:17 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

My fingers swell every time I walk and never during any other exercise (running, biking, weights, etc.) I find that if I'm holding onto something while I walk, like a dog leash or a water bottle, that hand will not swell either. I always figured that it was just the arm swing driving fluid down into the end of the fingers.

I think there are medical conditions that can cause swelling fingers, so if you have any concerns, I'd second Ilene's recommendation to see your doctor.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 09:02 PM   #5  

Julia,Ilene,and wndranne. Thankyou for your insights! When I think about it... the swelling seems to occur when it is hot and humid and only when walking I'll keep an eye on it...Again. thanks! I feel better that this might be normal!
Old 06-25-2005, 09:37 PM   #6  
LOSING TO LIVE LONGER!

Schatzi -
KIMMIFIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 09:41 PM   #7  
LOSING TO LIVE LONGER!

OOPS!

SCHATZI - I had the exact same problem and the girls are right it has to do with your hands being down to your sides. I started just bending my arms slightly and moving them more in a marching position and it isnt as bad or doesnt even swell. Also, as someone else said, if I am walking to dog, holding his leash or have a water bottle in tow it doesnt happen then either. Hey, a cold water bottle in each hand sounds like a good idea for those hot days anyway. I know I can down 2 on a 2 miles walk NO problem. Also, make sure your watch isnt too tight. I will still now and then get it in my left hand because of my watch.

KIM
KIMMIFIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 11:56 PM   #8  

I am with KIMMIFIER, but I will go further. It is gravity. Try not to hold your arms straight down. Sometimes it is very hard to keep your hands and arms any place but down by your side. I am learning, and it is very hard, to try and keep time with my steps by swinging my hands from side to side at my waist.
CookieInGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 05:33 PM   #9  

Thankyou Cookie and Kimmifer...Will experiment with my arms.... and actually carrying 2 things of water could also act as weights...