Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-25-2005, 05:14 PM   #1  
No more tears!

Smile Handicap with CP and have Diabetes! I need to know am I doing my diet right?

I'm 29 y/o and in a wheelchair with cp and i just found out 2 weeks ago i have type 2 diabetes. I am on a diet now where i eat 1500 cal a day.

Breakfast- 1/2 bowl of oatmeal and orange juice or 1 scrabble egg and 1 toast on wheat bread with orange juice

After breakfast i drink a cup of water and do my legs and arms exercises.

Lunch- A ham (96% fat free) and cheese sandwich with tomato on wheat bread with a glass or orange juice or kool-aid (with sweeten low).

After lunch i drink a cup of water and do a lil arms and legs exercises.

Dinner- A simple meal (diabetic food) with a cup of kool-aid with sugar only sweetener.

After dinner i do my exercise and drink water.

I hardly eat snacks if i do I'll eat a yogurt or a fat free jello.

I measure my waist and it was 56 '1/3inches now it 55' 1/3 inches. Do that mean i lose weight? How much tho? 1 lb or 2 lbs?

I can't walk or stand completely so im doing the best way i can.

Can anybody tell me am i doing wrong?
BBWonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 06:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi there

I am at high risk for being a diabetic later in life if I don't take care of myself (keeping my weight off and keeping up exercise, avoiding very sugar laden foods and drinks, etc.) and I was a gestational diabetic. (diabetic when pregnant)

I cannot give you any information on whether you are doing your diet right or not, because all I have to go on is your calorie level. As anyone with diabetes or similar issues knows, you have to follow the exchange program they give you (which equals out to pretty much your given daily calorie range) if you follow it correctly. On most diabetic diets you have to eat certain exchanges at certain times to keep your blood sugar level normal.

I do not have the exchanges that you are supposed to be eating at each meal, to guage whether or not you are doing it correctly.

What I can tell you from experience though, is that you really have to be careful about serving sizes. If they list 1/2c. as a serving size for pasta or rice, then it needs to be 1/2c., and not more than that. Eating larger portions in your exchanges than you are supposed to (especially of starches and fruits) will make your blood sugar rise too much. High blood sugar not kept under control can lead to many serious complications. Please, practice proper portion control.

What I suggest you do is take your food journal to your doctor, and have them evaluate it. Every diabetic patient is different, and each one is put on a different calorie level plan. Have them check out what you are doing-this is your safest bet.

Congratulations on being commited to your diet though, and for doing your best to exercise. I absolutely cannot stress the importance of proper diet and regular exercise for those with, or at high risk for diabetes.

Aphil
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 07:16 PM   #3  
No more tears!

how did you lose your weight? oh i dont eat pasta or rice no more unless its in a diabetic frozen food meal .
Old 06-25-2005, 07:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Well, the portion size is important (to keep blood sugar levels stable, as well as for weight loss-staying in your calorie range each day) no matter what food exchange you are eating, whether it be rice, pasta, fruit, meat, milk, etc. It is important with all of the foods-I just really used pasta and rice as an example.

I lost my weight the old fashioned way-a low calorie diet and a lot of exercise. It has been over the course of 2 1/2 years, some spurts of quicker weight loss, and then some stalls at times where I didn't lose for a while-usually because I would eat a little too much here and there-not enough to gain, but enough to stall my weight loss at times.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 07:56 PM   #5  
No more tears!

i know. i dont eat sweets no more or none of the other stuff i use to eat. i just eat wat i suppose to know. i drink more water now too. before i didnt drink water alot just fruit punch and drinks. water every now and then........lol