Old 06-25-2005, 02:47 PM   #1  
LOSING TO LIVE LONGER!

Default FOODS YOU COULDN'T "DIET" WITHOUT

i hesitate to even call what we're doing a diet because we are all striving for that new way of life and new way of eating to become a permanent change we make. The word diet has come to mean a short term fix type of thing but anyway, that said...
I thought it might be fun to share with each other the foods we just couldn't diet without. Like I know, I eat lettuce and chicken almost every day but if someone said you can no longer have them on your new way of eating I would care less. Had enough of them already! But here are the foods I so enjoy and could not do without so thank goodness I can still eat them.

Cheese (in moderation of course)
Strawberries mmmmm
ground beef
eggs
and last but certainly not least GUACAMOLE!!! yum!!

I would love to know what everyone else enjoys eating. Maybe even get some new ideas. Also, if you could just mentioned what type of plan you follow. For example I do a plan that of low carb, low saturated fat, high protein.

Can't wait to see lots of replies!

Kim
KIMMIFIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 04:02 PM   #2  

Ooooh, Whole Foods low fat guacamole is fantastic. I think I'll go get some later today!

Hmm, what else? Fruits, definitely. Especially oranges, mandarin oranges, apple-pears and plums. Those 100-calorie Nabisco Snack Packs. I like the Oreo ones, that's usually my 'treat' for the day. Quaker Oatmeal Breakfast bars. English muffins, smoked turkey, Kraft non-fat cheese slices. Salad veggies and Follow Your Heart's low fat ranch dressing. That stuff is a godsend. The best low fat ranch I've ever tasted and only 25 calories/1.5 grams of fat per serving.

Oh, and sushi. I loooove me some sushi.

As for my diet plan, just your basic low fat/low cal. Around 1200-1300 calories a day (I'm 5'2 so that's plenty for me!) plus exercise.

Last edited by girl least likely to; 06-25-2005 at 04:04 PM.
girl least likely to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 05:16 PM   #3  

My plan is low GI, lots of fruit and veggies, good carbs, careful with the fat, with an eye on the calories, keeping to around 1500 per day. I do quite a lot of exercise at the moment, swimming 5 days a week and gym 6, and a bit of walking in between.

I could not live without
blueberries
apples
cottage cheese
oatmeal
red kidney beans
brown rice and red camargue rice
70% cocoa chocolate
honey (in moderation on the oatmeal)
hoummous
red and yellow peppers

(that all looks scarily healthy - apart from the chocolate LOL)
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 06:48 PM   #4  
...toward a better me!

I like your new fishie Kykaree!

For me it's high-fiber cereal, blueberries, honey whole wheat pretzels, and black beans. I could eat just that all day and not feel like I was missing anything. Hmmm, looking at my list, it's a lot of carbohydrates. I love carbs! But I do mix them with liberallly with protein and veggies and limit make sure I don't get carried away.

I'm watching overall calories, and watching portions (love my food scale!)
cecilyisworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 04:56 PM   #5  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Hmm... that's a toughie--I love so many things.

I'm not overly struck on any of the LC and FF dressings I've tried, so I was pleased to discover Salad Sensations. They really pep up boring lettuce leaves and naked coleslaw. I'm counting kcals (1500-1600 per day), and these all come in between 40 and 50 per tablespoon. I like them all, but my favourite has to be the tomato & basil sliced almonds. They also go great in a sandwich with chicken and provide a nice contrasting texture.

Whole wheat couscous is also a biggie for me. I call it The Ultimate Fast Food because it takes minutes to prepare and can be so easily customised to taste different every time.

And then there's Del Monte frozen fruit and yogurt bars. FF and LF respectively, they come in at 50 kcals a pop. Smashing on those occasions I feel like something sweet.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 10:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 299/ticker/150

Height: 5' 2"

Default foods....

I'm following the diabetic exchange diet. I'm eating 1500 calories daily (ok, give or usually take....).

I love all fruits, broccoli (steamed), rice with some fresh vegis and chix stock (it tastes rich, it's lowfat and filling), 1/2 turkey sandwiches, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal with a little brown sugar (tastes like oatmeal cookies), "I can't believe it's not butter" spray--0 CALORIES!!!! and butter taste, fresh tomatoes and cukes, pickles--dill and sweet, Olives when I'm needing a salty fix ( you have to limit though), jello pudding pops--90 calories and creamy, chocolatey, and smooth....yum.

Lynne
tchrnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:49 AM   #7  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

Onions, mushrooms, salsa, and Pam (or equivalent) spray.
Also, strangely enough, these days I'd feel lost without fat-free yogurt! I always hated it before; now I can't go a day without it. Yoplait light is smoother than other brands I've tried. I especially like the blackberry.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:34 PM   #8  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Here's my list:

salsa
pretzels
FF yogurt
heart to heart cereal
water!
laughing cow cheese

- the list goes on...
I look forward to hearing what others have to say.
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:23 PM   #9  
Live for the Moment!

Great Thread!

- York Peppermint Patties
- Fruit
- Pretzels or Crispy Mini's
- Rice
- Yogurt
- Skinny Cow Ice Cream
- Popcorn (Ultra Light of Course)

And, Subway...

I'm sure there are tons more too...
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:31 PM   #10  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Hmmm, I'll have to give this more thought, so I reserve the right to return here to add more.....but here are these to start:

* Tilapia (I freaking live on this stuff!)
* Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (Ok, I live on this too)
* Leafy greens (I eat truly enormous, extremely filling salads with absolutely no guilt)
* Nonfat plain yogurt
* Frozen blueberries
* Frozen asparagus
* Reduced fat feta
* Light 'n Lively lowfat cottage cheese (those single servings in the 4-packs)
* Lemon juice
* Balsamic vinegar
* Brown rice
* Albacore tuna in those pouches (love them!)
* My no carb/no sugar/no salt protein powder (22g/serving, @ only 100 calories!)

These are staples. As in I eat some quantity or other of most of them every day staples!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:35 PM   #11  
I climb mountains!

Oops!! Forgot some A.M. biggies:

* All Bran Extra Fiber cereal
* Kashi Go Lean cereal
* Skim milk

1/2 a cup of each with some skim milk, the protein powder in water and an additional 22 oz. water is my on-plan breakfast every weekday morning -- and usually one weekend morning too!
Old 06-27-2005, 11:36 PM   #12  
Live for the Moment!

Sarah - Whats tilapia?

Oh, and I just discovered another one.. Howie, I think it was you that mentioned celery with low-fat cream cheese before?! I'm munching on it right now for the first time and its really satisfying! Thanks for the great tip!
Old 06-27-2005, 11:41 PM   #13  
I climb mountains!

Tilapia is a wonderful firm white fish -- it has a mild, almost sweet flavor and easily adapts to the flavors that you cook it with. It's got virtually no fat, and it's very high in protein!

I'd like to say also that I usually eat salmon at least once a week (unless we've paid too many bills at once! ) It's awesome for healthy fish oils, Omega 3 and I just plain love it -- but it's not an every day "lifesaver."

You really should see if you can find the tilapia -- it's SO low calorie and high protein, it buys you a good bit of flexibility with the rest of your day, you know?
Old 06-27-2005, 11:51 PM   #14  
Live for the Moment!

Unfortunately, i'm allergic (severely) to all fish and seafood! Oh, the irony, especially since I'm from Newfoundland?!

It kind of limits variety of what I can eat...
Old 06-28-2005, 12:06 AM   #15  
I climb mountains!

Well, then I'm thinking is just about your best friend! Another quick option if you've got to just get in some protein easily is protein powder. I get very good quality powder from a bodybuilding site, and I'm very happy with it.

Sad about your allergy though!