Old 06-25-2005, 09:23 AM   #1  
Living the journey...

Smile Counting down from 100

Welcome! This is a support group for people who have over 100 pounds to lose. Let's share everything from our frustrations and triumphs to our weight loss plans and recipes. Think of this as your second home.

I think Felicia said it best when she opened this thread at our past location, "This is where we can talk, vent, laugh, cry, and just share what ever we want. Hopefully we will all be on the same page and any tears will be "tears of joy" because we are all doing so great!"

That said, let the games begin!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you'd like to join this thread, please fill out the following survey so we all can get to know each other better! One-on-one emails and PM's are fantastic, but I'd also love it if we each could share some of the same knowledge and information about each other. I thinking knowing where we come from and where we want to go is a great foundation to lay for this support group. Newbies are always welcome!

First name:

Geographical location:

Marital Status:

Children/Ages:

Pets:

Hobbies/Interests:

Height:

Eye/Hair Color:

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey:

Starting Weight:

Present Weight:

Goal Weight:

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss:

Following any specific plan:

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past:

Something you're passionate about (besides food):

Worst craving(s):

Favorite healthy thing to eat:

Favorite type of music:

Favorite movies:

Favorite TV shows:

Last book you read:

Last thing you ate:

Last time you exercised:

What are some of the things you can't wait to do after you reach your goal weight:

Anything else you would like to share with us:

An Inspirational Quote:
starcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 09:35 AM   #2  
Living the journey...

First name: Kristy

Geographical location: Near Kansas City, KS

Marital Status: Single

Children/Ages: None, but I have two adorable nieces ages 2 & 4.

Pets: A Golden Retriever and 2 adorable kittens

Hobbies/Interests: Photography, Art, Interior Decorating, My Family, Reading, Music and Movies!

Height: 5'8"

Eye/Hair Color: Blue eyes and light golden brown hair

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: (my whole life)... but truly June 20, 2005.

Starting Weight:340 lbs

Present Weight: 338 lbs

Goal Weight: 170 lbs

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: All my life food has been linked with every emotion. Food is a part of celebration, loss, happiness, stress and even social activity. I need to completely restructure the way I use food and lighten its prominence in my life.

Following any specific plan: I just signed up for Kathy Smith's Project You exercise program. It hasn't arrived in the mail yet, but I'm looking forward to it. This summer I'm committed to Tuesday and Thursday morning water aerobics. Otherwise I'm using a combination of plans and trying to tailor them to suit my needs.

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: It seems like I've always waited for the perfect day to address this problem, but there is no perfect day. This time my mindset is different because I know that in my current body I cannot live the life that I've always dreamed about. Just daily activity wears me down and I no longer find that acceptable. I'm ready to "go to the mattresses" and conquer my life-long struggle with weight for once and all!

Something you're passionate about (besides food): Seeing new places and trying new things. I love exploring other cultures and diving into different approaches people take in life. I'm passionate about being honest and finding truth and beauty within everything and everyone I come across.

Worst craving(s): Salty and sweet at the same time. I love potato chips followed by chocolate. But my true craving is for soda pop. Pepsi and I go way back.

Favorite healthy thing to eat: Apples are fantastic. They're sweet and crunchy. I also love carrots. As a kid my grandma used to tell me to eat my carrots because they are good for my eyes. Ever since then, whenever I eat a carrot I imagine that my eyes are getting bigger and more beautiful.

Favorite type of music: I'm an eclectic kind of gal. Tegan and Sara are Canadian twins that are my all-time favorite...but I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Harry Connick, Jr. I could spend hours talking about music. It's one of my passions!

Favorite movies: I'm a sucker for romantic comedies. The more cheese the better, but my taste in movies is just as diverse as my taste in music. A favorite is impossible for me to list.

Favorite TV shows: Do I have to admit? I'm a WB fan. I love 7th Heaven, Everwood, Gilmore Girls and One Tree Hill. I also got into Lost and Two and a Half Men last season. (During the winter I watch way too much tv! It's how I unwind)...

Last book you read: Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (sometimes it's good to go back and read those classic young adult books).

Last thing you ate: Last night I had an apple for desert (it was that or a bowl of ice cream -- and I took the healthy route. Woo hoo!)

Last time you exercised: Just about 12 hrs ago before going to bed.

What are some of the things you can't wait to do after you reach your goal weight: LIVE! BREATHE! PLAY! I can't wait to fit into an airplane seat or a tight space comfortably. Daily life will be ten times more better when I can move about without feeling exhausted all the time. To play with my nieces and really run with them will be fantastic. I could write one thousand things here that I can't wait to do, but they all come back to one thing -- I can't wait to feel alive and active and like I can finally participate in the world...

Anything else you would like to share with us: I am excited to have found a community here full of other people who are struggling with similair issues. I'm also completely dedicated to providing encouragement and support to anyone else on this path who needs help and motivation. I wish you all the best -- and good luck on your journey to the good life...

An Inspirational Quote:
Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow." ~ Anonymous
How long should you try? Until. ~ Jim Rohn

Let's have courage...and keep going UNTIL!!!!
Old 06-25-2005, 09:50 AM   #3  
Takin back the old me!

[B][COLOR=Indigo]First name: Felicia

Geographical location: Flordia

Marital Status:Married

Children/Ages: son (8)

Pets: 2 Turtles

Hobbies/Interests: Shopping, T.V, Losing weight

Height: 5'4?"

Eye/Hair Color: DK brown w/ red hair/ DK brown eyes

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Restarted on May 15, 2005

Starting Weight:267

Present Weight: 245

Goal Weight: 145

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: emotional eating....not giving up

Following any specific plan: my own

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I know what will happen f I give up and my health has become a problem.

Something you're passionate about (besides food): my family and shopping

Worst craving(s): at night (after 10pm) anything and everything

Favorite healthy thing to eat: salads....all veggies

Favorite type of music: R&B and hip hop....I like most music but not country

Favorite movies: Harry Potter, The best Man, Legally blonde 1 & 2.....

Favorite TV shows: Gilmore Girls, The OC, Nip/Tuck, House, Everwood, One tree hill, Kevin hill, Real world, How do I look..........I can go on and on!

Last book you read: "Spiderman" (kids book) I am not much of a book reader.....I read lots of magazine articles. My son and I are going to start the new Harry Potter book soon.

Last thing you ate: Sliced green apples (snack)

Last time you exercised: Tuesday. I know, I know....I need a kick

What are some of the things you can't wait to do after you reach your goal weight: Go shopping for clothes in a size under 14 and go to the beach and wear a swim suit

Anything else you would like to share with us: I have plans for a new tattoo when I reach the weight I was at 2 years ago!

An Inspirational Quote: "one moment on the lips, Forever on the hips.....you are strong so don't let food break you"
Naughtyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 12:39 PM   #4  
Looking for Thin

Okay, I'm just checking in. I don't have time at the moment to fill it all out. I just wanted to get on and tell you that this is a wonderful idea. I read all the posts from the subsequent thread. I'm looking forward to reading more and think this is going to be an awesome thing. I will email the profile thing the first chance I get. I've been on the computer way to long this morning. I"m sorry. I did weigh in this morning. I'm still at 254 and I did lose 1.5 inches. I didn't lose the weight probably due to the pop.
squiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 02:16 PM   #5  
Looking for Thin

Post my info

First name: Shelley

Geographical location: Peru, Indiana

Marital Status: Married for ten years to Jason

Children/Ages: Jakob; age 9

Pets: 2 cats-munchkin and zip

Hobbies/Interests: spending time with my family, playing on the computer, reading

Height: 5'4"

Eye/Hair Color: eyes-blue; hair-dark brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: actual Mar.12th; new start on June20th

Starting Weight:261

Present Weight: 254

Goal Weight: 125

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: pop addiction and portion control; i have the hardest time eating the right things.

Following any specific plan: moderation and exercise

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: motivation and determination; just today I got my family to agree to eat healthier

Something you're passionate about (besides food): taking care of my son; doing things to make his life at home memorable; i lost my mom at age 19 and all I have are my memories. I want him to have good memories when he no longer has me which won't happen for years. I want him to be able to tell his children that he had a good life growing up.

Worst craving(s): pop, pizza, and tacos

Favorite healthy thing to eat: chicken

Favorite type of music: old 80's rock; and country; best band in the world to me is Motley Crue

Favorite movies: Grease; I like all the sappy girl movies as well

Favorite TV shows: i'm a reality buff; i like American Idol; real world and the true life documentaries on MTV; i don't get involved in to many shows

Last book you read: I am in the middle of reading the new Cassie Edwards book. It's been a few days and can't think of the title. Awful huh?

Last thing you ate: 2 hot dogs without the bun with a tad bit of spanish sauce about an hour ago

Last time you exercised: 15 min on the elliptical 30 minutes ago

What are some of the things you can't wait to do after you reach your goal weight: be able to shop in the smaller size departments in store and to say goodbye to the plus sizes; take my son to Cedar Point and ride the rides without the worry of not fitting on a ride

Anything else you would like to share with us: I'm a good person and am very supportive. I consider myself reliable. I do need an occasional kick in the butt and can take constructive criticism. I'm ready to do this and need to do this.

An Inspirational QuoteOff hand I can't think of one. If I see one, then I will let you know. SOrry!
Old 06-25-2005, 02:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/154.4/135

Height: 5'6"

First name:April

Geographical location:San Jose Ca

Marital Status: Married

Children/Ages:Son 5yrs - Georgie

Pets:Mouse named Dora

Hobbies/Interests: Making Friends, reading, picnic with son at the park or living room, dancing. New hobbie is to get out more and get a new one.

Height:5'6"

Eye/Hair Color: Brown, brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey:06/21/05

Starting Weight:202

Present Weight:202

Goal Weight:140

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss:Not to stop once I get going - and not over exercise and get sick then stop.

Following any specific plan: No - Just eating healthy and exercising.

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I just don't want to be heavy anymore. Also weight more than my husband and he is tall at 6'8".

Something you're passionate about (besides food):My family

Worst craving(s): Ice cream

Favorite healthy thing to eat: All vegi and fruit - love them just lazy

Favorite type of music: 80's

Favorite movies:Lord of the rings (all), Goonies, Indiana jones, most scary movies also.

Favorite TV shows:House, sponge bob, Tolley spies, Hmm ok I watch too many kid shows.

Last book you read:Lord of Chaos from Robert Jordon - been a while

Last thing you ate: healthy choice - I did not want to cook last night - Woot!!

Last time you exercised:

What are some of the things you can't wait to do after you reach your goal weight:Wear a dress or a tank top and not feel heavy in them.

Anything else you would like to share with us: /hug

An Inspirational Quote: Hmm can't think of any right now
Sweetloml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 03:11 PM   #7  
Looking for Thin

Smile Miscellaneous

I just felt like sharing this with everyone. My husband and son have been supportive but this morning we had what I would call a breakthrough. My husband and I actually got into an argument. He's getting upset because I'm getting on the computer so much for support when he says that I should go to him and my son for support. It doesn't do any good to tell him that he doesn't understand the ups and downs of losing weight. He thinks he does. Well, I had put some stuff on the wall next to my elliptical for what I feel is a huge motivator for me. He thought it looked tacky and made me take it down. I got very upset because I didn't see that as support. WEll, it caused us to get into a huge conversation on what it would take for him and Jakob to support me. To make a long story short, we are going to start eating healthier. They are going to watch drinking pop in front of me. I had gotten a 44 oz mt dew this morning and after drinking half of it I gave the remainder to my son and grabbed a water. I was going to take a day off from my elliptical but my husband made me get on the elliptical for 15 minutes. He told me that if I take one day off then it'll be the start of a bad trend. He says this from previous experience. I agreed and went and did 15 minutes. I couldn't do 30 today because of the sleep deprivation from last night.
How would everyone think about making Saturday's weigh in days? I always weigh on Saturdays as my official weigh in. I'll be honest. I do weigh in on other days but don't count them as offical until Saturday and that is when I record my weight. I weighed in at 254 this morning. I'm also setting goals for this week.

My goals are:
1. drink 60 oz of water daily
2. Use my elliptical 30 minutes daily
3. Keep my calories between 1500-1700
4. Limit my pop to no more than 20 oz daily.

I'm more than determined to make this work. WE can do this everyone!!!!
Old 06-25-2005, 08:31 PM   #8  
Takin back the old me!

Hello everyone

I have been gone most of the day....doing the movies, mall and picking up a few things for the house. I did do what I said and I finally got the Harry Potter book........I guess that was really half the battle, let's just see if I actually read it. LOL

Okay I got on the scale this morning and I am down 2 pounds.
My husband has been gone all week....he is out to sea. He gets home on Monday so I am not sure if my eating will be better or worse. I am happy to say that i have managed since May 15th to make sure I don't make my dinner plate match his....LOL

Shelley- I am ik with weighing in on Sat. Sorry about you and your dh, you know I understand how they can be. It is a great idea about putting up motivational stuff around you. I actually bought a note book that is small enough to fit in my purse. I write quotes in it and I have taped some pics in it to remind me of how I look and what I want to look like when i am done. The good thing about this notebook is that I can take it where ever i go and it will always be there when I need it.
Oh and one more thing....we all need to try to help you with your pop addiction (but that's great that you put down the 44 oz before it was gone). I am very proud of you!

Kristy- How did you do this week?
It looks like you and I need to jump on the computer or go for a walk or something when times get tough. I think that emotional eating thing is the worst....I often wonder why I couldn't be the kind of person who can't eat when i get upset. That would make things easier on me for sure.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:31 AM   #9  
Living the journey...

Shelley and Felicia I'm so glad you both found your way here! And welcome to our thread April!

Shelley: I am so excited for you that your husband had a break through. Support from that end will triple your success! I think the official weighing in on Saturday is a great idea, right along with setting goals for the week. That way we can definitely hold each other accountable. Fabulous idea! And way to kick it up and get on that elliptical machine even though you were going to take it off! With that determination you'll be seeing thin sooner than you think.

Felicia: Congratulations on the 2 pounds lost! I'm sure your eating will be great even after your husband gets home because surely you'll want to impress him with how well you've been doing. I also can't wait for the new Harry Potter book to come out! And can I just say you have great taste in tv shows. Don't you just love the WB? Keep up all the great work!

April: I loved reading your survey. I also love all the LOTR movies -- I can't believe I didn't put that on mine. Feel free to jump in any time and tell us how you're doing!

As for me. Let's see. I have a dilemma ladies. I actually gained 7 pounds this week and am weighing in at 345 lbs today. This makes no sense to me what so ever! I used to be a very sedentary person and adding in the two days a week of pretty intense water aerobics has been a big step. (I've been doing this for three weeks now). This past week I did my water aerobics and even exercised two other times...yet I gained all this weight. I don't want to be a slave to the scale, but it truly baffles me.

About a month and a half ago I began to notice a swelling in my feet and ankles. I think my body has developed quite the case of water retention. Swimming is supposed to help alleviate this, but it hasn't gotten any better. I'm feeling more healthy and part of me believes that these seven pounds are just fluid... It's discouraging, because I've been doing the work, but I went in the opposite direction.

I'm going to keep on keeping on, though. I'm going to turn this "set back" into motivation. Consequently, here are my goals for this week:

1. To take my measurements and get a picture of myself at my current weight. (This seems so simple, but I've yet to do it. I want to record my current body so I can look back on it and smile widely at how far I've come once I reach my goal).
2. To drink 64 ounces of water daily.
3. To workout for one hour at least 4 times this week. (Two days of water aerobics, one day of land aerobics/cardio and one day of toning/flexibility). Extra bonus points for myself if I can bump it up to five times this week.
4. To begin a weight loss journal in which I record every single morsel of food or liquid I put in my mouth along with personal thoughts, progress, etc...
5. To only drink two 12 oz. cans of soda per day.

On that note, I'm off to bed. I look forward to this week. Putting down goals in black and white is really fantastic, because I can already see myself succeeding. This I can do. One week, one day, one hour, one minute at a time. May the force be with you (sorry, I watched Star Wars today)... Ciao for now...
Old 06-26-2005, 11:16 AM   #10  
Takin back the old me!

hello everyone

I hope this day goes by fast. Sundays are usually the most boring days for me. I am planing to get out and get some exercise in so hopefully I will be able to say that I did it.
As far as food goes....I had a cup of oatmeal with nuts and no cal butter sub/ and some fresh fruit. Now I am drinking some crystal light. I hope lunch will be this successful

Kristy- If you are feeling better and doing everything better than before......I am sure you are losing. You may be gaining muscle. I know how that water weight can be too, at one point I was 10 pounds heavier and the dr gave me something to get rid of the water retention and I was 10 pounds lighter the next day.....it's crazy, so don't let it get you down. Keep up the good work and I am sure you will see that scale move soon enough.

It looks like we may have lost a couple of people with our move. I hope they are just busy and will find their way here soon.
I took some before pics and my measurements last night so now I just need to list my goals for the week, right?

1.) Drink more water.....at least 40oz (I know I should drink more so I will increase this goal as the weeks go by)

2.) Exercise at least 3x a week

3.) No snacks after 8pm

4.) Go to sleep by 12am (this is going to be a hard one but I need to start getting up eariler)

Oh hey Kristy......have you checked out www.Fitday.com as far as food journals go? I think you can also track your exercise and goals on there. It's pretty cool, I registered but I have not used it yet.

Last edited by Naughtyangel; 06-26-2005 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:06 PM   #11  
Living the journey...

Good morning friends! Can I just say that it is noon and I haven't even had a sip of soda! It's normally the first thing I have when I wake up. I don't like coffee, so a can (or two) of pepsi has always been a part of my morning ritual. I also fufilled part of one of my goals for the week -- I finally took my measurements. The numbers suprised me -- they were even bigger than I could have imagined. It turns out I have an hour-glass figure, but you just can't tell because of all the fat in the way!

Felicia, thanks for the encouraging words and recommending www.FitDay.com -- it's awesome! It's the exact thing I was looking for and didn't even know it. So, thanks! Your breakfast also sounded really healthy. I had a cup of whole grain mini-wheats with banana slices in it. Breakfast is truly my hardest meal of the day. I hate eggs and normally breakfast is whatever I can eat in the car (such as muffins or bagels)... My mom recently read that if you eat whole grain cereal every morning for at least three months, your blood pressure will drop. I don't have high blood pressure, but I come from a family that does. So I'm really going to give this whole grain cereal approach a try. It sounds good to me and coupled with healthy fruit it sounds great to me!

Keep it up! Hope today is full of success for you!
Old 06-26-2005, 02:40 PM   #12  
Looking for Thin

Talking my weekend

Hello all!!!!

It sounds like everyone is doing good. I use fitday everyday to count my calories and I love it. I get on there everytime that I eat.

Felicia: Good job on losing the two pounds!!!! You are doing great. I'm glad that you are concentrating on you. It is better when you do things for you and not for someone else.

Kristy: Sometimes your body freaks out when you start something new. It'll take time to catch up. Mine did it last week when I started the elliptical. It freaked and added two pounds. Be patient. You'll start losing soon.

I've done well the last couple of days. I only had 20 oz of mt dew yesterday. I'm going to have no pop today. I have decided to go cold turkey. I can't continue to do what I'm doing and lose weight. It just isn't possible. I had only 1711 calories yesterday. Today I'm on target for only 747 calories. I know that it isn't enough but most of my cals come from pop so it will take me a while to get the calorie thing situated out. I'm hoping that in the process my body thanks me by dropping me below the 250 mark. I want to say goodbye to the 250's so badly. I'm tired of seeing those numbers.
WEll, I need to go. I promised hubby that i would limit my computer time.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 266/ticker/199

I found the new thread I was very busy all day yesterday with work and a birthday dinner afterwards. We went to Chilis for my brother-in-law's 30 birthday. I chose the lettuce wraps as my entree, which seemed a good choice to me.
Anyway, here is a little info about me.

First name: Karla

Geographical location: Rhode Island

Marital Status: Engaged

Children/Ages: Stephen/20 months

Pets: cat named Honey

Hobbies/Interests: reading, playing computer games, hanging out with my family

Height: 5' 6"

Eye/Hair Color: brown/brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: June 2005

Starting Weight: 244

Present Weight: 242

Goal Weight: 150

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: staying motivated after the first couple of weeks

Following any specific plan: just watching my portions and making healthier choices

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: i'm looking for support, rather than trying to do it on my own

Something you're passionate about (besides food): my baby

Worst craving(s): crunchy, salty foods

Favorite healthy thing to eat: any type of fruit, carrots, pickles

Favorite type of music: rock alternative

Favorite movies: Moulin Rouge

Favorite TV shows: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Last book you read: War of the Spider Queen, Insurrection by Thomas Reid

Last thing you ate: Chicken and Rice

Last time you exercised: So far back I can't even remember

What are some of the things you can't wait to do after you reach your goal weight: buy some cute clothes, surprise my family with how good I look, mainly be happy that I don't look like a big blimp

Anything else you would like to share with us: We can do this!

An Inspirational Quote: To accomplish great things, we must not only dream, but act.
quyana21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 07:48 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 266/ticker/199

Just a quickie

Kristy: Somebody once told me that when you start exercising you build muscle, which weighs more than fat, so you may gain a bit in the beginning...but the weight soon starts dropping after because muscle burns calories even when not actively used. Don't quote me word for word, that just how I understood it. LOL

Felicia: That's great losing 2 pounds! I weighed myself a little earlier to find my current weight and I lost 2 pounds too

Shelley: Good luck quitting the pop cold turkey. Have you thought of getting diet mt dew to help ease the transition of not drinking it anymore?

I hope everybody is meeting/exceeding their goals. I have to think a bit and see what my goals are.
quyana21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 10:29 PM   #15  
Takin back the old me!

Glad to see you made it Karla and congrats to you too on losing 2 pounds this week. Great job!

So my eating was fair today. I had some very low fat tacos for lunch (no cheese or sour cream)......the only fat was the meat (Carne asada) which was also protein so I am sure that was ok. I had soup and salad for dinner.

I did eat after 8pm but it was not on purpose. I was eating a rice cake at 7:45p and I got a phone call and I forgot about it and when I got off the phone I finished it and I looked at the clock and it was 8:20p. Oh well, you can't win them all.....LOL
I did however manage to get in some cardio. I went for a 20 min walk. I know thats not much and I know for a fact that I could walk for atleast an hour but I want to start slow. I will pick it up next week, I promise.
Oh and as far as the water goes......... lets just say I got in 32oz but the night is not over yet!

So.....I have a ???? what does everyones screen name mean or how did you come up w/ it. Mine is easy in a way. I lost my sister a few years ago and I feel like she is my guardian angel and she is now a big part of me but we were always so different. She was the goody goody with the grades and I was the one who could care less, always in trouble and liked to run away. So I thought a good way to describe me would be Naughtyangel.

I hope your day was a success.......BYW, does anyone here drink crystal light??? I love that stuff at 5 cals a glass.