Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-23-2005, 07:24 PM   #1  
WW online (pts plus)

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Default How do you sneak in extra exercise?

My main exercise is the 20-30 minute walks I take at night with my two year-old daughter around our neighborhood.... which, by the way, is a construction zone of new houses, so we also get some climbing in along with our walking.

Other than that, I find it hard to find the time to do an exercise video or even get myself (and DD) over to the YMCA. I have a membership, but rarely any time to get there and use it-- although finding more time for that as a family activity is something I'm working on. I work part-time, chase a two year-old the rest of the time, and run here, there and everywhere in between.

So, how do you sneak in exercise in your busy schedule? Any creative ideas?
AmyMCGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:41 PM   #2  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I park at the very back of the parking lots and make a point to always return the shopping cart. That gives me 4 trips across the entire lot. I try to walk while talking on the telephone, walk to the video store down the block, instead of drive to it. I march in place with some 3 lb weights while watching television. So if you sit down to cartoons with your daughter, don't. Stand up and march.

What about work? Is it a desk job? Even if not, rather than call or page a co-worker, take a walk to see them about whatever matter needs discussing.

Get up just 15 minutes before the kids and do a quick workout. Do another 15 of some relaxing stretching just before bed.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:58 PM   #3  

Everytime it commercials do some sit ups etc.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:51 PM   #4  
I'm lovin my scale

If i get bored while watching tv i'll do some push-ups or crunches, sometimes i'll do squats, that kind of thing. They're pretty easy to do in front of the tv, or when children aren't screaming your name.
Christine
imsexydamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:48 PM   #5  
Starting over once again

I only live a mile from work so I walk to work every morning. I haven't yet mastered the art of walking home though... it's usually just so hot when I get off work that dh picks me up. That's something that is going to change when I go back next week from vacation.

I, too, park as far away as I can when I go to the store.

I get an hour for lunch at work, so I plan to start walking then too. I just haven't yet. Actually, I have a lot of wasted time that I could be using.....
natenkayliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 11:05 PM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

Stephanie, I used to work just about 1.5 miles from work and I bought a bike to ride on good days. It's better to have the wind in your face on a bike on those hot days than walking and the bike will be a different exercise to shake things up a bit.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:40 PM   #7  
it's always something

I put my treadmill in front of my tv. It's easy to say I don't have time to exercise, but I always seem to have time to watch tv, lol.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 12:37 AM   #8  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I do a good session before work in the gym, but since I started really noticing my weight loss I've been going into town every lunchtime and going round the clothes shops trying stuff on. With the walk up there and back, getting dressed and undressed, walking from shop to shop, I get far more exercise than I used to sitting in front of my computer playing on the internet for an hour.

The only problem is trying not to actually buy too many clothes...
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 10:20 AM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by YP1
The only problem is trying not to actually buy too many clothes...
I don't find that to be a problem, but my hubby agrees with you and not me.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:18 PM   #10  

I'm really lucky and have a gym at work, so I go in my lunch hour some days. Other days I walk to our local designer outlet, and look at clothes, and usually buy something.........I am addicted to shopping, but it's better than my previous addiction to chocolate!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:01 PM   #11  

Two great articles on Stumptuous on this topic (all hail Mistress Krista!):

http://www.stumptuous.com/rantjune2005.html

and

http://www.stumptuous.com/rantdec2004.html
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 05:22 PM   #12  
WW Moderator

I schedule myself exercise time, and make it a number one priority. It's not always easy. I have a family, I work full time, just finished writing a book with my sisters, and I'm joined at the hip to this site, but I give up other things like television time and gardening. It's like having a baby - I didn't want to have one until I 'could afford it' until somebody told me if I kept waiting until I could afford it, I'd never have one. How true! Everything always works itself out.

Find time to make your exercise a priority and everything else will fall into place.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 06:08 PM   #13  

I agree with you Jennifer, I have to schedule it, or it all looks too hard. I work full time, have a three hour commute in total per day....so it isn't easy, it's not easy for anyone, we all have busy lives.

On a Sunday afternoon I have some me time at home, potter on 3FC and diary my exercise time. I aim for an hour in the morning (or evening if I am on an early shift) and do 3/4 of an hour at lunch time, whether it be a walk or a turn at the gym. I also use this time to plan my meals for the week, as I work shifts and live two doors away from an Indian and a Chinese take away, I have to be organised, or I will just succumb to eating junk!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 08:25 PM   #14  
Starting over once again

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostheaven
Stephanie, I used to work just about 1.5 miles from work and I bought a bike to ride on good days. It's better to have the wind in your face on a bike on those hot days than walking and the bike will be a different exercise to shake things up a bit.
I hadn't thought about that. That is something I could do during the summer. When school starts back, I'd have to go back to walking 'cause I walk the kids to school. There isn't like a bike rack or anything for the kids to park their bike at so that isn't an option. I'd just have to wear different clothes to work & then change once I got there. (I have to dress business every day except Friday so I wear a lot of skirts.)
natenkayliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote