General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2001, 11:36 AM   #1  

Smile Low Fat Diet

I have been following a low fat diet for the last (almost) 4 months and have lost 60 lbs. I am running out of ideas for fat free and low fat meals. If anyone is also following a low-fat diet, can you please give me tips or suggestions on what to eat. I also like to hear how much fat others take in daily. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 07-23-2001, 12:21 PM   #2  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Default Congrats on your loss!

Sounds like you're doing well! I am currently taking Xenical to "encourage" my weight loss and in order to avoid some unpleasant side effects it is recommended that only 30% of calories come from fat....so I currently eat under 50 grams of fat per day (how many do you eat? and how many calories?)

So I do try to stick to lower fat items....I love angel food cake with berries and low fat topping, low fat popcorn or pretzels (to satisfy that salt & crunch need)...sugar free low fat yogurt and occasional ice cream sandwich also yummy.

Have you ever tried cola chicken? Very weird sounding but supper yummy (trust me)....Place bonesless/skinless chicken breasts or thighs (about 1-1.5 lbs)....add one cup of ketchup and one can of diet cola (I know it sounds yucky but it's really great!)....simmer for about 45 mins on stovetop in teflon pan until done (I did add some cornstarch to thicken a bit)...and eat! Honestly try it and let me know what you think!

Good luck!

Froufie
Old 07-24-2001, 01:30 PM   #3  

Default lowfatdiet

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I eat 5-8 grams of fat a day. My calorie intake is around 1000. This was approved by my doctor along with vitimins. I know everyone can't do this diet, but for me it has worked great. Sometimes I am amazed at how I was so determined to do this. I have never felt so good in my life. Good luck, and I will try the chicken cola recipe. It sounds great.
Old 07-24-2001, 03:51 PM   #4  

Alzym: How much exercise do you do each day?
Saggy
Old 07-24-2001, 11:40 PM   #5  

I ride the bike for 30 minutes, and work with weights. I also attempt to use the stairmaster for 15-20 minutes. I generally ride the bike 7-8 miles a day, 5 days a week.
Old 07-28-2001, 01:30 AM   #6  

Wink Great web site

Hi all!

I found a great website with fantastic low fat, healthy menus. They are mostly vegetarian and vegan, which makes them better for you (and usually more taste!). The site is: www.fatfree.com

The web site has everything from soups, main dishes, drinks etc. I would be interested if anyone else knows of any other web sites that have similar menus.

I also recomend that you raid your nearest library for low fat cooking books (I go every weekend).

Good luck and stay healthy everyone!

Kadda Kadda
Old 07-28-2001, 12:03 PM   #7  

Thanks for the website. If I find any I will post them also
Old 08-02-2001, 01:13 PM   #8  

I am still looking for people who are on low fat diets. I seem to be hitting many plateaus now. I am working out 4-5 days a week. I generally ride the bike for 5-6 miles, and use a stairmaster. I also work on weights. I am losing alot in my legs, but I want to lose in my stomach more.. Any ideas on low fat or exercise?
Old 08-03-2001, 09:53 PM   #9  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Default Curious about your food plan....

It seems like you're doing ample exercise...but I know you mentioned only eating very few fat grams, and about 1000 cals.

Can you post a sample menu of what you eat in a day? I'm curious to see how what you eat in a day that only adds up to 5-8 fat grams!!

And of course you have heard that if you limit cals your body can go into starvation mode, and plateau as it is holding on to whatever it can due to minimum input. Have you tried varying the amount of cals you eat?

Thanks!

Frouf
Old 08-06-2001, 09:39 AM   #10  

an example of a day's menu for me is... I DO NOT eat the same things everyday.

Breakfast (not a big eater) - Fruit, fat-free yogurt

Lunch - Turkey Sandwhich (FF Turkey, Low Fat Bread (.5), lettuce and mustard) Veggies (variety) sugar free Jello (add fruit sometimes), and on occasions FF pringles.

Dinner - 2 pieces of fish. I buy it frozen/raw (contains approx. 2 grams of fat and 160 calories for 2 1/2 pieces), steamed veggies, and rice.

Sometimes I get hungry later in the night, and I have found for myself that cold greeen pepper quenches my hunger pain which I seldome get.

I measure everything I eat, and always eat veggies and fruit. I eat FF veggie burgers, EXTRA lean chicken breast (1 G F) FF hot dogs, FF Baked Beans, FF Pudding, Alot of steamed Veggies, Stir Frys (without oil), I make Rhubarb Sauce with splenda in the microwave and eat it over angel food cake, FF yogurt, Healthy Choice Spahgetti Sauce (FF, 45 Calories per 1/2 Cup), Brown Rice with FF Spray Butter. does this give you a good idea? I eat alot of other things too, if you need to know more let me know.
Old 08-08-2001, 05:19 PM   #11  

I'm doing the same thing too! I started on 4/23/01 and have lost 62.7 lbs. I only eat anywhere from 3.5 grams of fat to 6 grams of fat. My calories are usually 540 a day. Sometimes it goes up to 810. I keep a detailed journal and weigh in at weight watchers. my weight watcher points are around 9 a day. I started off having 10 grams of fat and 1000 calories but after a week i just was not hungry at all. This is my first time being overweight and wanted to get it off. My husband and I just had 3 baby boys last year and figured this was the way for me to do it. I need this kind of serious control.
Old 08-09-2001, 07:18 AM   #12  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Any side effects from low fat?

I have lost about 100 pounds from eating a lowfat diet. Took me about a year. But, I started having some hair loss, dry skin, and sores on the corners of my mouth. I went to the doctor and he said that I was not getting enough fat in my diet. So many of our vitamins are fat soluable and have to be transported by fat and I was probably under 10 grams of fat a day. Hopefully, you guys won't be having any of these problems, but just a word to the wise.

Nancy
Old 08-09-2001, 07:53 AM   #13  

Congrats Pixie. It's a great feeling to lose all of that weight. I have gotton so used to eating this way. I do not get REALLY hungry that often. I have no trouble finding low fat and fat free foods. My splurging is FF pudding, and FF (surgar free too) carbolite ice cream. I have also found some great FF rescipes online. One I like is to buy Sugar free, FF pudding mix and prepare it with water. It has only 35 calories per serving and 4 sevings per box. It take a little getting used to, but dipping strawberries in it makes it even better.

Nancy, I have not encountered any side effects to this point, but I know it is possible. I have heard people talk of it before. The only "side effect" I have noticed is I have been hitting plataues left and right the last month. I starting eating about 200 more calories more a day and I lost 2 lbs within 2 days.
Old 08-10-2001, 09:47 AM   #14  

Default Bonza low fat recipe site!

Dear Kadda Kadda,
thanks do much for posting the website....it's fantastic and what a collection of recipes so much choice - I can plan my cooking for the rest of the week - I can't wait to try some of these dishes!!!

MyGirl

Last edited by MyGirl; 08-10-2001 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-10-2001, 02:51 PM   #15  

RE: dry skin and hairloss

My diet plan is low in fat too, so I have to take fish oil pills (3-6 a day). I'm only supposed to have white fish, but I sneak in some salmon once in awhile for the Omega-6. Once a week I sautee in olive or canola oil for Omega-3 fatty acids. You NEED these essential fatty acids not only for your skin and hair but your heart (it cleans the bad cholesterol right out of you).

My hair is very thick and shiny as long as I take my EFAs. I think CLA is good too (conjugated linoleic acid which is found in red meats) for people losing weight. It helps you maintain muscle mass. You can take the pills without getting all the saturated fat from red meat.

Unless you have a fat metabolizing disorder, you need more of these kinds of fats. The enemy my friends, is saturated fat and processed food.
Closed Thread