South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 12:17 AM   #1  
krazy binging insomiac

Unhappy 3rd time a charm?

ok so here i go on attempt number 3 for south beach. I have to admit that the previously two times i've failed because money became a HUGE issue. but now I have a really good reason to lose the weight.... i'm the maid of honour at my little sister's wedding at the end of May 2006. Gives me about a year to lose 100 lbs.

so i guess i'm saying i'm really going to need everyone's support here. and i'm wondering if any one has any ideas for those of us who are financially challenged. I'm really worried because i'm losing my job in 3 weeks and i don't want to fall into the trap of eating past, rice, kd and mr. noodles all the time cause they're cheap and i spend too much money when i have it on food.
any thoughts would be great.

that's about all.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:12 AM   #2  

Beans are very cheap. I buy canned but the kind in a bag is even cheaper and I've heard that they are easy to fix. Watch for sales and buy extras of staples if you can. Things I like to keep around are canned tomatoes, beans, pasta. I buy my Uncle Sam's Converted Rice at Sam's Club. It's a huge bag that lasts a long time and is allowed on South Beach. I buy my yogurt at Kroger because their store brand is the same as Blue Bunny Lite in terms of ingredients but is almost always only $0.39.

When I was single, I used to go to the farmer's market with another single friend. Produce was cheaper but it was too much for me so we would buy things and then split them so we could use them before they went bad.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I thought we've talked about this before, but couldn't find it when I searched. Maybe others have a better idea where to look and will post the links to the other discussions.

I understand working within a tight budget. I'll give you what worked for my parents who are retired and living on a very limited budget. First thing is don't try to follow the suggested menus in the book. Look at them to get an idea, but create your own.

Print out the foods to enjoy list. Grab the local store sales ads. Find out what's on sale that's on the foods to enjoy list and make your weekly menus from that list. It doesn't have to be a detailed menu, just a rough idea.

The first 2 weeks were the most expensive time for me, I was getting used to the idea, wound up buying way too much fresh produce. After I got the hang of it, the costs went down. Don't go crazy buying all the foods to enjoy at the same time.

The whole idea is to adapt South Beach to your way of eating. I would never buy shrimp just because my diet said so. I only buy shrimp and scallops when it is a price I like, same for fish. I only buy fish at $2.99-$3.99 a pound. I live close to an Asian market so there are usually several types of fish at that price. Try to follow the basics of the book, stay as natural as possible-yes I know that fat free half and half is not found in nature, keep away from the processed foods-white bread and white sugar.

Beans are great! Beans are your friend! They are filling, cheap, high in fiber, taste good and are great on a budget. After dried beans are cooked, they freeze really well so you don't have to spend all your time waiting for them to get done.

When pork loin and skinless, boneless chicken breast is on sale, I buy several pounds, slice it/separate it into 1 pound packages, wrap it well and place it in freezer bags and throw them in the freezer.

Same with cheeses-Kraft slices fat free or 2%-I only buy when they are $2.50 or less a pack, then stock up. They last a long time. When the shredded cheeses go on sale, I stock up on those also, just throw them in the freezer and remove them the night before I need them. Just make sure to allow it time to thaw in the fridge. Don't thaw it on the counter top to thaw, it clumps into a mess.

Shop around different markets in your area, if you live in a large city you may be able to find an asian market that has great prices on produce and tofu. If it's a large city. Some areas have food co-ops where you can get good prices on bulk foods. If you live in an area that has a Trader Joe's. TJ has good prices on the more "fancy" items. http://www.traderjoes.com/locations/index.asp
If you live in an area that has an Aldi's-they have good prices on basic items. http://www.aldifoods.com/

Laughing cow cheese is very expensive. It's convenient, but not crucial to this way of eating. Pre-packaged mozzerella cheese sticks are nice, but you can buy a block of part skim milk mozzerella and slice it into sticks yourself and place them in baggies for snacks. Same goes for yogurt, buy the larger container because most of the time it's a better value, then divide it into 1 cup containers. This way you can also experiment with different flavors.

The sugar free syrups are nice but expensive. If you can swing it, it might be nice to have a bottle of one but again it's not critical. You can kind of get the same effect with extracts from the spice section in the grocery store and packets of sweetener.

Prepared Jello cups are convenient, but you can buy the 1/2 cup containers and make your own jello cups for a whole lot less money.

Those popular riccotta cream desserts-well, riccotta cheese can get really expensive. Wait until it goes on sale. I've read that some people have frozen them, I never got around to it and it always went bad before I finished a carton.

I may be flogged and run out of the forum for saying this but:
When you are on a severely restricted budget, go ahead and buy the cheaper cuts of chicken. I can buy a 10 pound bag of chicken leg quarters for $2.50 on sale I know it's not SBD friendly, but when you are on a tight budget it's still healthy food. Just remove the skin and fat before cooking and maybe don't eat as much as you would a chicken breast and eat more veggies.

My parents, on the fixed income, nearly had a stroke when I told them to buy chicken breasts and pork loin. Mom refused to spend that type of money of food. And they still lost weight on SBD. (Until the cry of the ice cream in the freezer became too much and they fell off the SBD wagon never to return because the cookies and leftover chocolate easter bunnies-parents freeze everything- also attacked them and they decided that at 80, the cookies and ice cream were going to win and set back to enjoy themselves.)
Old 06-17-2005, 08:57 AM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Good grief! Sarah, what a fantastic post! I'm not even going to TRY to add to that!

Thanks for the suggestions for nefarious, girls. You're great.
I LOVE how supportive everyone is here... you're all such wonderful people... thank you.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:04 PM   #5  
I painted my avatar. :-)

Are there any beans (canned or bagged) that are not allowed on SB???
Old 06-18-2005, 10:57 AM   #6  

I believe they are all allowed but if you buy canned you need to make sure that there is nothing added that is not allowed such as sugar, brown sugar or corn syrup.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I've noticed that the canned kidney beans have added sugar. But the other types don't have the added sugar. At least not that I've found. They do have a lot of sodium. I always rinse them really well before I do anything with them.

Oh, wait are you talking about baked beans or pork and beans? Those are the ones that have a lot of brown sugar and other sweetenes. I've pretty much given up of both of those because of the added ingredients.

They are also starting to market beans in sauces that you'll have to keep an eye on ingredients. They seem to have a lot of oil, salt and sugar. Really ups the calories...yes, I know we don't worry about calories but I still keep an eye on them in a general way.

Sarah
Closed Thread