Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 07:19 AM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 year olds #54

Thought I'd do this . And give Maria a break.

Maria I can't believe it's been 7 months already. And I agree it doesn't take long to get more stuff! Hope You enjoyed your holiday.

Slavika the rain is the pits. During breaks in the rain yesterday I worked in the flower beds. But it was so hot. With so much rain my flowers were getting leggy. So I cut them back. Hope I didn't kill them.

We are getting ready to make our trip north. We have our old computer to take to The grand kids. So it will take up a lot of room. Then we have all the stuff for little Sprout. I have a bag that is earmarked for him. Toys ,Food,bowls ,cage and stuff. We plan to be gone for a month at least. So am going to packing quite a bit of stuff. Plus some warm clothes that are too warm for Florida's winter. You need warm stuff for about 1 month all together,but not as warm as what we have from the Minnesota winters. Any way where I was going with that thought is we'll take them north for the times we plan to go up for Christmas . So our car is going to full. Remember we kept my (small) car the Focus. But with the rear seat down we should beable to fit it all in. Sprout likes to ride in the front seat between us. We lose the arm rest that way but he is happier there than in the back. Beside I'm not sure there will be room in the back!

Peggy, I'm just like you I don't like all the prep stuff either just want to get to the fun stuff. I worked all week end on the hat racks for my 2 GS. they turned out really cute. Now I need to put the varnish on them. But Have 2 kinds and not sure which I should use. Will find out this morning at crafts. I also finished another jewlery box (needs varnish) and have one more that I started yesterday to finish before we leave. Am toying with the idea of taking my paints with me north.Depends on how much room we have.

Ann the day is starting pretty but I fear it will be like yesterday before the day is out. I'm tired of rain.
Well I need to head out for a walk so see you all later.
Karen
Old 06-13-2005, 06:00 PM   #2  
Fun Blonde

Guys, I haven't been here in a long while. I had my second step of the permanent makeup last Wednesday. I am going to be much happier this time. The lips, as I understand it, are usually a 2-step process. Anyway, hubby did not want to take off that day, and I could not drive because of the valium. Anyway, had an hour to kill before so I did that quite easily at Braum's. It was just a block to the place. She worked on me from 9-1:30. DH took off at 2:30, so what to do for an hour? I walked back to Braum's, but this time with very swollen (inside out) red lips and I couldn't speak well because of the block she gave me, like after being at dentist. The 3 counter ladies stood there looking at me with their mouths open so far I don't think they could have walked without tripping over THEIR lips. I could barely talk but did get out the words, "Large Diet Coke." Tried to explain, but they just looked stunned. Then I went to the corner of the store and sat and, believe me, that corner of the store had more activity in that hour than it had had in a week. They cleaned, they swept, etc, just to get a look at the deformed customer. You know, those people need sensitivity training for customers who are stupid enough to submit their bodies to this junk. Anyway, it was funny--in retrospect. NOT AT THE TIME!

You all are so busy. Karen, glad your hubby came through, but sorry it wasn't everything he wanted it to be. How in the world are you going to put arrange everything? Enjoy, enjoy. It must be nice to be two again. That halo of yours just blinds me sometimes. Sorry about your BIL.

Maria, I don't even bite my lips anymore. As long as the kids take care of their kids and they are all happy, they can do it anyway they wish. You just have to "go with the flow." But the training part does seem to be a bit over the top for your DIL.

Let's see. I read everything so quickly, and cannot remember anything. Just stories about the rain.

BJ3, glad to see you. You have been MIA for awhile.

Got to go. It is 5. My lips are looking good now. Ladies, this is a salute to all you who have good eyesight, can put on your makeup, and have not scared any minimum wage women into early senility with their protruding lips.
Glenda
Old 06-13-2005, 08:07 PM   #3  

G'day all,

Thanks Karen for starting the new thread When you said 'trip up North' where are you going, are you going back to Minesota?
Hope you have a safe trip and Sprout behaves!

Glenda sounds like your lip procedure has been worth it and they are looking good now. I cannot wait to get home and start laser treatment for the removal of facial hair. I have now decided that is the best way to go, my poor skin just cannot cope with the waxing. D-i-l had her under arm hair removed with laser treatment and she said it was painless, brilliant and.....expensive
I figure if I do it now whilst we are still working that would be good.

Our dd is in Adelaide this weekend to meet little Matilda. I spoke to her this morning and I do feel somewhat relieved. DD said that I just over reacted to the way they look after Matilda...she said it is certainly not the convential way but Matilda is thriving, very happy and contented.
She also cannot quite understand why their sport is so important to them but she doesn't think it is to the detriment of Matilda.
Spoke to ds last night, cannot wait for us to get home and to do our share of looking after Matilda when d-i-l is away for her netball.
All in all everything is fine and I feel very relieved.
This is more or less our last week in Sydney....I don't count Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of next week

See ya tomorrow,

Cheers
Maria
Old 06-13-2005, 11:08 PM   #4  
Super Surfer

Smile Hi everyone

I put Norton Anti-virus back on the old . I hope it won't crash anymore. If it does, my SIL said he would put a different one on that he found on the web. I cannot remember what it is called. So far I am liking Mozilla. With the Firefox does anyone know how to put all of your addresses into 1 spot so I would just click on 3fc for instance and your addresses would go into the send automatically? I sent out some funny jokes today, and might have missed one of you. So much to learn and so little brain to work with.
We did some shopping today, we had to pick up a gift for our DD's 8th anniversary this month. They will be away for 9 or 10 days and we will be getting the Grand-dog. That dog will keep us hopping, no doubt. I bought some really lovely place mats for ourselves. They are Martha Stewart in a vinyl, and they look like they were embroidered. They are white and very delicate looking. The problem is, Sears put these huge 2 x 3 inch stickers on the underside, when I removed the stickers it left a sticky spot that I cannot remove. Slavika told me there is a glue remover called GOOP which I will buy. Doesn't that tick you off when the sticker leaves a mess behind. Why do they use it??? That always makes me
Maria There is no danger of drought here this year. We are getting so much rain. Our river is going to peak for the 3rd time this spring. Everything is so green.
I hope it gets nicer before you come north Karen. We usually have the same weather patterns. Sorry your DH had to go through so much.
Maria You will have to let us know how that laser goes. Plucking can get to be a real pain.
Glenda Glad to hear this 2nd procedure worked for you. The swelling sounded painful, but worth it. I am sure you look great.
Lily Nice to see you again. We removed some old shrubs this year too. Unfortunately, there are about 4 or 5 more I will like to see go too. My DH said "next year"... groan. Thanks for the tip on Firefox.
Gloria My aunt had glaucoma laser surgery and uses a lot of different eye drops, it keeps her eyesight. There are things that can be done. Once your cataracts are removed it will make a huge difference.

I had so much to read, I tried to remember everything you all said, hope I didn't get anything wrong. Hi to Peggy and Ann...did I miss anyone?

Bye for now
Old 06-14-2005, 09:15 AM   #5  
Web Nana

They say three tries and your out. I have posted 3 days in a row and lost two so I am typing with my fingers crossed.

It has been very hot here 90's but we have both AC's in and running and last night it was very comfortable for sleeping. The large window AC is in the dining room and takes care of the first floor quite well and the small one we put in the hall window upstairs as we can't sleep with it running in our room. With all the other bedroom doors shut the air reaches our room with ease. Of course we are getting back door cold front this PM but our efforts in putting in the AC's will be worth it for the next heat wave.

We are getting set for our 4th of July visit to my dear friend who lives on Cape Cod. We met 17 yrs ago when we job shared...she worked 2 day and I worked 3. They have a very old &I large home right across the street from the beach in Falmouth. The town has a fireworks barge that they anchor about 200 yards out directly in front of the front porch. She has invited us down every year for a long weekend over the Fourth. We look forward to it each year.....most of the time the fireworks are spectacular but on occassion there has been RAIN,or FOG, or the barge has burned.....someone made a mistake when lighting the first fireworks and the whole thing burned....WOW! The 83 year young lady has, in the past, used her home for a bed and breakfast and now only has friends in when she is up to it. She has survived (5yr) Breast Cancer and a fall down the stairs 3 yrs ago. (didn't break anything) lucky.

We still have the Granddog and expect to have her for at least another week while DD's lawn grows in. By that time we will need a new lawn

Marie: Home is just a heartbeat away...only another week. That lasar treatment sounds interesting, I hope it goes smoothly for you.

Trudy: I have Mozilla as a second internet source but I don't have Foxfire. Is that a Mozilla type of Norton?
I guess I didn't make myself clear...I have the beginnings of Glaucoma and they have just discovered at tear in my Retina. Thank God I don't have Cataracts. Enough is Enough.

Karen: I know what you mean about packing. I am always vowing to do better next time but it never happens. We are going to Disneyworld by car next November to meet DS and family and will be returning via their NC home where we will have Thanksgiving with them. Of course, that means that I will have to bring their Christmas gifts and a couple of birthday gifts so I won't have to mail them. We are also thinking of getting an AERO bed to use at DS. He has a pull out sofa that is not comfortable so we will bring our own. This means another thing to pack in the car. I just hope we have room for ourselves in the car.

Glenda: So glad your second go around with the makeup worked better. Wow, will that save you time everyday.

Hope this post works. Gloria
Old 06-14-2005, 09:16 AM   #6  

Trudy, Goop will work. We always have a bottle handy. Yes i hate it when stores ruin things with the stickies. I hope the weather north changes or we may not stay as long like we plan.

Went out early and was working in the flower beds. I put in the ground a plant of SIl's i was afraid it would die while we are gone. This way it will get water from the rain. I also moved her geraniums from pots to ground for the same reason. My neighbors will water for me but i wanted to make it as easy as possible for them. The i also stared putting in new mulch. But had to quit because it got to hot to work. I don't know about any of you ladies but i sweat like a pig when I get to warm . Unlike some people who perspire. I'm thinking of putting in rocks next year.

Now i'm waiting for my hair to dry out so I can put new color on it. I really hate to do it myself but i do have the tiime now.

Chatted with my DD last night with Yahoo 's IM. I heard the knock ,knock when she signed on. It was good to talk for a minute. she told me about Grand Son who is 9. He loves to work and the harder the labor the better. He goes out to his Auntie's farm and works like a beaver. He can drive a tractor and hook and unhook things even grown men don't know how to. He loves working out there I hope it carries over in to his adult life My DD says he is Awsome and I have to agree.

Well this hair is almost dry I'll go finish it off with hair dryer.

Check in later.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:03 PM   #7  
BJ3

I wish we had some of the rain some of you keep talking about! It is in the 90's and very little rain for the past two weeks. I have to get out before 9 to stand the heat to work in my yard. (And I'm definitely not a morning person.) My Crepe Myrtles are not blooming for some reason this year. I got out and dug little holes all around the drip line and put in fertilizer specifically for Crepe Myrtles this morning. My yellow lab thought I was digging to play with him which was fun. I made the mistake of fertilizing my portulaca and the flowers started growing straight up instead of spreading as they usually do like ground cover - weird looking!
The story about the nosy people finding a reason to stare at your tatooed makeup was so funny.
My son veered off from Florida and went up to Troy, where he GAed for his Masters degree to visit with old friends and then came back down to Florida for the golf when the weather cleared up. He has always wanted to go to Scotland to play - and because that is part of our heritage.
I am trying to get back on program, with some success. I shoud realize this is a life long process for me, and not use birthdays, etc. as an excuse to go off. This was a big one though. I am now officially a senior citizen!
I must go and gather up everything for my quilting bee tomorrow. It's almost like moving every two weeks!
Old 06-15-2005, 09:19 AM   #8  

Morning,

Trudy I love Undu for removing stickers and things like that. You can use it on paper with no harm. It is usually in the scrapbooking section or in office supply stores.

Glenda you gave me the laugh of the morning. Not laughing at you but at the reaction of the clerks. I am glad it all turned out okay. Were they like big fish lips?

Karen have fun packing that car. Speaking of Sprout I know he is little and cute. I just ran across a free painting pattern on Ladybugs site this morning of the cutest little dog on a roller skate. It made me think of Sprout. www.ladybugcreations.com - go to free pattern. She usually has her patterns up for a short time so if you want it print it out.

BJ3 it is dangerous to mention that you quilt. We will all be expecting quilts for Christmas. LOL Although we are still waiting for our tree skirts from Slavika a few years back. I think they got lost in the mail.

Gloria have fun at Cape Cod. Always wanted to visit there. Sounds like you have a fun trip planned in the fall.

I have had the flu for the past few days. Not fun but I have lost 3 lbs which I hope to never find again.

Last edited by painter5; 06-15-2005 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:32 PM   #9  

G'day all,

Peggy Glad you are feeling a bit better, nice to have lost 3 lbs though

Trudy How is your computer going, hope the crashes are now a thing of the past. It is very annoying the remainder of the glue used for stickers, we also have similar products as mentioned by the others and they work extremely well.

Gloria hope you are keeping cool, those sort of temperatures are too hot for me! Your trip to Cape Cod sounds good. I checked it out on the net, looks great!

Karen hope all your plants will survuve the heat etc. I 'persire' quite lady like but....my head is like a beetroot when I work in the garden and it is very hot. Not a good look.
I very seldom get my hair coloured at the hairdressers, guess I am just a bit miserable when it comes to spending money on hair colour and have been doing it since I was 14. I do believe, and don't mind paying, for a good haircut.

BJ3 I am very much a morning person, I love to go for very early morning walks along the beach in summer, best time of the day!
Luckily dh is also a morning person. I had to laugh at your lab thinking you were playing
My dd mother-in-law trains lab puppies to become guide dogs for the blind. Over the years she has had 12 puppies. She has a beautiful black lab puppy at the moment, called Nero. He has been a bit naughty and may not be suitable as a guide dog.

This week is going so incredibly slow but around this time next week we will be well on our way to Melbourne where we will overnight (and visit dd) and then on to Adelaide where we will expect to arrive late on Friday.
DH will be flying back to Sydney on Monday and then I will have to start getting my house into order again.

Have a great day all...for some of you 'stay cool' and for others 'stay dry'

Cheers
Maria
Old 06-16-2005, 02:25 PM   #10  
Fun Blonde

I am back to looking like me again, whether that is good or bad. In answer to your question, yes, I looked like a fish. I was kidding around with my DH and said that I had found Nemo and he is me.

Gloria, your friend sounds like the kind of old lady everyone should want to be. Never letting "too old" become your operative word. I know you will enjoy your holiday, right on the beach.

Karen, I have a grandson who is like that. He is 14 and works like a man. He can do anything, but he has to have the best tools and be in charge. He will surely be a leader. Then I have two who like to watch TV. Oh well. When are you heading up north?

Trudy, I remember when your granddoggie was the only "grand" you had. And soon it will be two.

My sister and all her family just got back from Destin, Florida. They stayed in a $1,000,000 house that they rented for one week. She had 3 of her children and families with her and just had so much fun, but kind of cut it short because of Arlene.

Maria, just a few more days! I am excited for you.
Glenda
Old 06-16-2005, 10:45 PM   #11  

I've been cut off from the world for the last 2 days. Tuesday morning my Dh was digging around in tha back yard and cut the DSL cable. he was getting the ground ready to put in some white rock aroung the A/C so the grass doesn't grow so close. So was without internet for a day and a half. You never know how much you use something untill you don't have it any more. I was a lost pup.

Peggy thanks for the ladybug site. I printed out the puppy on the skate. I'm going to try and paint him in Sprout colors. The ears look verymuch like Sprout's . My DH thought it was a good idea to try. He has been very supportive to me and this paint thing. Have decided to take a few projectswith me when we go north. Just in case I need something to do.

We have decided to leave early Sunday morning.

Finally got the yard prepared to be left for a month with no one to pull a weed. Not a job I like. I think I'm goiung to put in some kind of shrubs instead of flowers. We have armadillo who are forever digging up the flowers. The are after the bugs below ground but they sure make a mess above ground. I will be putting down lots if mothballs to help keep them at bay.

Went back to the beauty shoppe to have the lady finish cutting my hair. It was still too long and took too long to fix in the morning. She was very good about it didn't even charge me.

Well it has been a busy evening was talking to DS and DD on the computer . that can get confusing. DD types as a profession. DS like a 2 year old and me maybe a 5 year old. DD is always about 3 lines ahead of everyone. She types like she talks. nonstop!

See you all tomorrow
Old 06-17-2005, 03:05 PM   #12  

wohoo where are you! Just stopped by to see where everyone is. Gotta go see you later .
Karen
Old 06-17-2005, 04:55 PM   #13  

G'day all,

Our last weekend in Sydney, a wonderful place for a holiday but not to live for 7 months!

Glenda if you really had been Nemo, we could have met, you know he resides in Sydney Harbour Glad your lips have settled a bit....now for a photograph with the end results, I would love to see it...go on and show off, it is just amongst us!

Karen you will be amazed how much everything will have grown in your garden (and the weeds ) in a month. That is about the only thing I like about being away (ok a few other things as well ) when I return everything has grown lots, it is a real joy.
Have a wonderful and safe trip.

Had my last 'little' shopping spree yesterday and bought some lovely, very fine wool jumpers for dh and a toy for Matilda, not that she is lacking in toys but this was too cute to leave in the shop. They are little socks with a colourful musical soft toy attached, it is supposed to stimulate hand/eye coordination. There is just so much out there, difficult to make a choice.

I have also been prowling around Ebay looking for a portable cot. As we will be looking after Matilda a bit, I thought it would be nice to have a cot.

I also received an email this morning from someone who wants to know if I would be interested in going into a sort of partnership....
He has many contacts in the country, is an unbelievable sales person and his proposition would be to do websites, he gets all the info and I put the website together. I am waiting for dh to wake up (it is very early here) to see what he thinks.

All the practicing and experimenting I have been doing with websites will come in very handy if I decide to agree to his proposition.

Now for some REAL packing this weekend!!!

Cheers
Maria
Old 06-17-2005, 08:00 PM   #14  
Super Surfer

Smile Hi everyone

Maria You sound so excited to be going home. I would be too after all that time. Hope you are home for a long time and get to enjoy your beautiful city.
I agree that it is hard to pick one, from all interesting things for babies. I always like to have a little something for my when I see her.
Our family is going way for 10 days and I am sure going to miss them. My DD said she will phone periodically, hope she doesn't forget. We are picking up the Granddog tomorrow morning. This time we are taking her bed and favorite blanket along with a lot of her toys. Last time here, she tried to creep into our bed every night.
Karen We sure do get lost without our 'puters. When I was without mine I felt like I was out of the loop. Sometimes I wonder why I ever got myself involved with it because of the headache it can be, but I would miss it if I didn't have it anymore.
Slavika Can you believe the beautiful weather these last few days? It is like summer finally arrived. I don't know what the long range forecast is, but I hope it is more of the same.

I had my Gastroscopy and Esophagoscopy this morning. The doctor told me nothing "abnormal" going on, but will get back to me with the results later. I was so worried because I have been really sick. Of course you all know what I was thinking.... we all do the same thing. I am to continue taking the Nexium until I am completely healed. It will be great to feel good again. They said I would be really tired for about 24 hours from the sedation, and they weren't kidding. I have had trouble keeping my eyes open this afternoon.

Glenda What did it cost to rent a million dollar house? Having permanent makeup must make it a lot easier getting ready to go out. And, you always look good, even when the day is over. Sounds like a good idea to me.

HI Ann, Peggy, Lily, Gloria and BJ, everyone have a great weekend.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:57 PM   #15  
Member Florida Chick

Hi Everyone:
I guess you are all having busy weekends packing for travel and just enjoying the nice weather.

This was WW weigh-in day and my numbers were not good today. Up instead of down. I keep telling myself that it was because I had something very salty to eat last night. And we even went more than the week to weigh in. Next week will be a short week, so am not expecting any miracles. Just have to keep plugging along.

Finally got DH to go swimming, or at least exercising in the pool. The water is now warm enough: for him. And I can see that he is walking better and seems to have more energy. Yesterday we were in the water and a big cloud went over and dropped a good bit of rain on us, but there was no thunder or anything dangerous, so we all just stayed in. Good for a laugh or two.

I am happy to report that our Crape Myrtle tree is now full of lovely pink blooms. It is going to be a real addition to our front yard, and i think it will provide some shade for our porch.

Karen: I know you will find lots of ugly weeds and stuff in your gardens when you get back, but they don't take long to get rid of. Hope you have a great time with your family.

Maria: you must be right in the midst of packing up now,and anxiously waiting to get home. Is this now going to be your last lime living away from home?

Trudy: Glad to hear that all your tests show nothing abnormal going on. That is a relief. I have a friend down here who is taking Nexium, but she is suffering from the side effects of abdominal pain and diaharrea. He Dr. has given her some sort of pill to counteract the side effects. She is hoping that will work.

Glenda: We'll be waiting for your glamour photo. I hope that you are very satisfied now with the results, since the swelling is gone.

Peggy: Loved the designs available on that site you sent. The little dog on the skate board is cute. I can imagine Trudy making a Sprout board.

Gloria: Your 4th of July trip sounds like a lot of fun. Especiall since you can see all the fireworks from the front porch. The way the days are flying by you will be there soon.

Lily: Did you have any difficulties with the earthquakes that came to California? Hope not.

Slavika: Hope you are having a great weekend, and that your DH is doing well. Getting some rest before the next treatment.

Bj3: Hi to you. And after my weigh-in today which wasn't good, I reminded once again that it is a life long process, with some downs and some ups. And just don't get bent out of shape. It is hard not be disappointed with oneself but that is the way things go now and again.

'See' you all later. Ann
Closed Thread