Old 01-10-2005, 12:48 PM   #1  
kpw

Default Fondue!

Every year we host a dinner party for New Years Eve and this year's theme was all fondue (classic cheese, this broth based and a chocolate-raspberry to DIE for). It was really fun. If you have a fondue pot (or chafing dish, or even an electric skillet) dust it off :-). If you don't have access to an asian store where you can buy 'instant' dashi in the 'tea' bags, just use a 3:2 ratio of water to beef broth. For those of you who don't know what dashi is, it's a broth base of seaweed and bonito flakes used in hot pots, pho and other asian soups (at least that's what I've seen it used in, I'm sure there are other uses). I served beef, shrimp, scallops, assorted veggies and 3-4 sauces (go crazy!)

Dashi/Beef scallion hot pot:
2 'tea' bags of dashi
6 cups water
4 cups good quality beef broth
6 garlic cloves finely chopped
2 TB fresh ginger finely chopped
3 scallions chopped (white and green)
2 scallions cut on a diagonal (for presentation)

To serve with the fondue:
Ultra-thin slices of filet mignon or top sirloin (~3 oz p/p)
Large Shrimp (~3 oz p/p)
Scallops (~3 oz p/p)
Mushrooms (I used buttons - they stay on the fork the best, but you could also grill up some portabellos and cut them bite-sized chunks)
Red Peppers (raw - cut in bite-sized chunks)
Broccoli (I blanched my florets)
Zucchini (I left it raw)

To make the broth:
Bring 6 cups of water to a boil then add the dashi tea bags to steep. Remove the bags and add garlic, ginger, scallions, beef broth and S&P to taste - simmer on very low for about 30 minutes to get the flavors to meld. Add to your fondue pot and throw in the diagonally-cut scallions for presentation. Serve the meats, veggies on platters along with the sauces and let everyone go at it.

(If you don't have the dashi - I suggest just adding all the ingredients at once and let simmer - check for taste and add some soy if it's too bland, or up the beef broth to water ratio)

It was really fun - try it! The broth picks up the flavors of all the meats and veggies, so after, we all ladeled the broth into cups and sipped it after the fondue was done - yummy!
kpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 194/190/145

Height: 5'3

Great idea!

I love fondue, and I completely forgot that it doesn't need to be a cheese fondue!

What is "dashi?"

Thanks
tkt117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:27 PM   #3  
kpw

Dashi is a broth base of seaweed and bonito flakes used in hot pots, pho and other asian soups (at least that's what I've seen it used in, I'm sure there are other uses). If you have access to an asian market, or if there's an asian section in your grocery store, you may be able to find it there. I've made it without dashi, and it work just as well. I usually up the garlic, ginger and scallions.

Hope you try it - it was a helluva lot of fun. It's probably OK for phase 1 - I just wasn't sure, so I listed it in 2-

SW:149
CW:140
GW:135
Lowest Weight while on the diet: 135 - darn holidays ;-)
Old 06-15-2005, 09:49 AM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

kpw, this sounds fun! Can you tell us what sauces you used?
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:10 AM   #5  
kpw

I made three sauces to go with. these are divided amongst 4-6 servings:

vietnamese type sauce:

Dipping Sauce
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup sweetner (I used splenda)
3 tablespoons fermented fish sauce (nam pla)*
1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon minced jalapeņo chili with seeds
t teaspoon fresh grated ginger
mix all together

and my favorite peanut sauce:

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 scallions, chopped fine
1 garlic clove, chopped fine
1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh gingerroot
1 cup water
1/2 cup creamy or chunky peanut butter
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
3 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar ( I subst Sugar Twin brown sugar subst, but Splenda works well too)
1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
In a saucepan heat oil over moderate heat until hot but not smoking and cook scallions, garlic and ginger, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer, stirring. Simmer sauce, stirring, until smooth and cool to room temperature. Sauce may be made up to 3 days ahead and chilled, covered. If sauce is too thick after chilling, stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons hot water until sauce reaches desired consistency.

-- this is the *best* peanut sauce - I get raves when I serve it. I like to serve it with b/s chicken breast that's been dry-rubbed with sate seasoning from Penzeys - YUMMY! We hosted our picnic at the Cal Shakes festival with this dish and received RAVES-

And, the easiest of all - salsa mayo:

1/3 c l/f mayo of your choice
1/2 c salsa - I used Trader Joes roated salsa - Pace had one too, but I love the trader joes. Any fresh salsa will do.
mix together-

This was a big hit with the beef fans. It's soooo easy too! I now use it as an accompaniment for anything beef or chicken related. Sooo good and soo easy...

I can't tell you how many successful fondue parties I've had - people love the kitsch - and it's a definite ice -breaker. And *very* romantic. Trust me :-D