South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 11:24 PM   #1  
Started SBD 1/26/04

Question Are these foods OK?

I have two items that I just love and I would like your opions on if they are SB freindly foods.

First is Jack Daniel's Horseradish Mustard (spicy and good)
Ingredients:
Distilled Vinegar
Water
Mustard Seed
Horseradish
Salt
Spices
Tumeric
Natural Flavor

Nutrition Facts:
Serving Size 1 Tsp
Calories - 5
Fat - 0
Sodium - 75
Carb - 0
Sugar - 0
Protein - 0

Second is Classico brand Tomato & Basil sauce
Ingredients:
Diced Tomatoes (tomatoes, tomato juice, citric acid, calcium chloride)
Tomato Puree (water, tomato paste)
Onion
Olive Oil
Salt
Basil
Garlic
Garlic Powder
Spices
Soybean Oil

Nurtition Facts:
Serving Size 1/2 cup - 1 Jar =6 servings
Calories - 60
Fat - 1 (no sat no tran)
Cholesteral - 0
Sodium - 310
Carbs - 11
Fiber - 2
Sugar - 6
Protein - 2

When I use the classico sauce I add 90-94% lean beef (depending on what I can get when we get hamburger. Still can't handle ground turkey or chicken yet.) a large bell pepper or two small ones, 2-3 small zuchinni and 2 jars of sliced mushrooms to the jar of sauce. We usually end up with about 10-12 servings (haven't measured them to know what size they actually are). No noodles of course. I usually serve it with asparagrass or a salad.

Classico Tomato & Basil is the only premade sacue I have found that doesn't have lots of preservities and added sugar and corn syrup.

Some nights I come home late and when I make this we can eat in 30-45 minutes because the only thing I have to cut up is the zuchinni (I always have frozen peppers on hand from the garden that are already cut up). I know it has 6g of sugar in the jar but when I break it down into 12 servings instead of 6 that would change the sugar to 3g per serving right? I hope it is P1 & P2 friendly because it is so quick, easy and yummy.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:21 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

All OK.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:44 AM   #3  

I would also like to know, is spinach dip okay on p1? I have my daughter's bday party coming up & think that I could have the sourdough for the non-sbd folks & english cucumber, baby carrots, celery sticks for the sbd at the party.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:08 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

What are the ingredients in the dip? There is a recipe for an artichoke and spinach dip in the recipe section.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:22 AM   #5  

Hmmm...I was going to get a package one, but that probably wouldnt have been for the best, thanks for the recipe...IT'S PERFECT. I'm also going to take a peek there for more ideas
Old 06-14-2005, 08:34 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

Take a long peek - there is lots of good stuff there. Homemade is always best because you have absolute control over the ingredients.
DOWN WITH FRANKENFOODS!
Old 06-14-2005, 09:20 AM   #7  

Sheba's Mom - I just want to comment that we don't worry about the 6 grams of sugar in the pasta sauce because that is sugar that is coming naturally from the tomatoes. You have done well to find one that has no added sugar. In fact, I think I'll give it a try when I get to the store next.

The horseradish sounds good too. All approved ingredients.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:19 AM   #8  
Started SBD 1/26/04

Thanks for all of your help chicks. I thought I was on the right track with these two but wanted a second opinion.

Ruth - I agree with you about all of the junk they put into our prepackaged foods these days. YUCK!!! Pretty scare when you start reading labels.

Barb - I think I have looked at every spaghetti sauce on the shelf and this one is the only one (even in the rest of the classico ones) that doesn't add all of that extra junk. I try to cook with fresh ingredients but sometime our jobs and lifestyle demand a little help. Nice to find something somewhat healthy and prepackaged
Closed Thread