View Poll Results: Do you fake a tan?
Yes I do it all the time 12 13.19%
I have tried it once or twice 25 27.47%
I have thought about it but never done it 17 18.68%
Nope, quite happy the way I am thanks very much 37 40.66%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2005, 04:41 AM   #1  

Talking Faking it!

I am white, whiter than white, but I have never tried anything to rectify the situation. I used to tan quite naturally in Australia, but now I live in England, my tanning naturally in the sun days are well and truly over. I certainly won't be trying sunbeds, as I have a strong family history of malignant melanoma and basal cell carcinoma, and I am smothered in moles!!!

So, your help is required. Do you fake tan? Do you self tan or go to a salon? Does it come off when you exercise? Do you look like a ginormous tangerine? Does it look funny over cellulite or does it make it look better?

Help me please!!!!!!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:09 AM   #2  

When I was younger and stupider I used to go to a tanning bed. Would never do it again personally so I deal with my whiter than white skin. Sorry not much help but I really would prefer to not have skin cancer
Inca's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:36 AM   #3  
Crazy Canuck

How disappointing - when I saw the title of this thread and thought about the direction this board's been going lately I figured I was going to be reading confessions from the boudoir!

As for tanning – I stay out of the sun as much as possible. I hate the heat, burn rather than tan and have no interest in tempting skin cancer. I don’t go to tanning salons or do overall fake tanning (I once tried a fairly expensive tanning lotion and turned a bright pumpkin shade), but I do use Bonne Bell “Gel Bronze”, which is an oil free sheer translucent tint that not only moisturizes, but acts as a sunblock and provides a nice glow.
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:53 AM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I hear ya, honey, I'm so white people squint to look at me if I'm standing in the sun. My legs are freakishly white, so I no longer wear shorts (thank you superficial world). My lower arms occasionally tan slightly (and by that I mean I sometimes get a watch line--but being a waitress, I suppose it could actually just be dirt and grime rather than a tan). The rest of me fries faster than an egg in the sun; my skin color options are: Fire Engine Red, Pepto Pink, and Casper. There's not stopping at "tan" anywhere in between. I have even been burned to the point of purple blistered skin more than once, so I'm sure melanoma worries are in my future (though my gyn commented that I am "remarkably mole-less"). I tried some lotion tanning stuff once and ended up with extremely orange hands. If you choose this route, I suggest gloves
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:59 AM   #5  
Losing 1/2 of Myself

S/C/G: 324/195/170

Height: 5'9"

I have used self tanners in the past, usually Neutrogena. I go to the tanning beds and I love getting golden with the good old sunshine. I feel better about myself when I have a good golded bronze goin' on!!!
treefrogtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I'm with Sara. I will usually go ahead and use the tanning beds in the Spring and the summer sun the rest of the time. I too have quite a few moles and I just keep my eye on them to make sure they don't turn into anything more. I used to not put on sunblock even and now if I'm only going to be out for a couple of hours I will put on 15. If I'm going to be out for longer than that I use the kids 45. Lilly tans super easy too even with the 45 on. Luckily so far she has no freckles or moles. (I get freckles from my mom's side and the moles from dad)

I too have tried the nutragena brand in the past and had good results with it. My mom does use the self tanners and I'll have to ask her what she's used. They've come a long way in the past few years so you don't have to look all orange and fake anymore.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:55 PM   #7  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

My face and arms usually tan very nicely during the summer but my legs are always freakishly white and horrible looking. I've read lots about self tanners and no it shouldn't run off with sweating or bathing. You just have to be really careful about applying it especially around your knees and elbows and of course the palms of your hands. Apparently you should wipe your hands off immediately and wash them because the palms of your hands are not supposed to be tanned. I've heard good things about the Neutrogena products and apparently Jergens also has a new one out that you apply every day and it builds up over time to look more natural. It is more like a mosturizer but the colour stays. Also you should apply it the day after you've had a bath, shaved and exfoliated. I'm going to give it a try when I get some nerve up!
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 03:15 PM   #8  
Always drink your water..

S/C/G: 215/198.5/119

Height: 5'1"

I'm fish-belly white all over and have never sunbathed, used a tanning bed or fake tan. I've never felt the need, given that I wrap myself up in the summer almost as much as I do in the winter.

Ask me again in a year's time when I'm 50lbs lighter and I may be telling you I'm a fake-tan convert so that I can show off my toned muscles!

Janey
Dippy Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 03:22 PM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

I tried the sunless tanning lotion years ago and ended up a lovely shade of orange. I have very, very fair skin so the sun only turns me pink or red, no tan. I was thinking of trying the Jergens lotion since it's subtle.
hautbois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 05:48 PM   #10  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

How long does the effect of the self-tanning creams last? I think those new spray-on tan booths are intriguing. While I really like getting a tan, I hate the thought of encouraging cancer. Aaaaaargh.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:31 PM   #11  
...toward a better me!

When I get to a point where I'm less self-concious (and less roll-y), I think I'll try the spray-on booth Gardenwife mentioned. Although I have this fear that they have secret cameras in those places just waiting to catch a glimpse of me prancing around trying to make sure I get sprayed in all the nooks and crannies. A sight to behold, I'm sure!

I used to tan really easily, but I think I've reached such an advanced stage of pastiness that I reflect any and all tanning rays back out into the atmosphere. I'd make a great vampire or Snow White...
cecilyisworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 12:27 AM   #12  
Live for the Moment!

Jill - That's funny - I thought the same thing when I saw the title of the post! Us great canucks must think alike!

As for me, I've done the tanning bed thing a few times and loved the results, not to mention I found the 10 minutes in the bed SOOO relaxing! Loved it.. I would go just for the relaxation and heat on those cold winter days.

I've been wanting to try the self-tanner creams but am very scared of "streaks"... Anyone have any recommendation on whats worked well for you and whats looked the most natural?
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 12:47 AM   #13  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Jillegal -- Forgot to mention, I thought the same thing when I saw the subject line. Tanning beds was not my first thought!
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:20 AM   #14  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Donna - I think the lotions have improved a lot in the past few years so that you shouldn't turn orange! I'm going to try the Jergens too, just have to find someplace that sells it.

GW - I think the colour should stay on for several weeks, it's not something that disappears overnight because essentially you are staining the top layers of your skin so it's not going to go away until your body has shed those skin cells. This is my understanding anyway.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:00 PM   #15  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Ok, since we all thought the thread meant the same thing...let's chat. You know I have NEVER faked it in my whole life. I don't know that I could. I think I'd pretty much say..."ewwww, get off me!".

BTW - white and pasty here too!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote