Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-13-2005, 07:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/170/130

Height: 5'3

Default First thing vs. noon

Does anyone else find they weigh more first thing in the morning as opposed to a little later in the day? I am wondering if I'm weird. Well, I know I am weird but what gives with the weight?
Nikki128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:27 AM   #2  

You're not weird, I've noticed the same thing. The difference between morning and afternoon can range from .5 to 2 lbs. I figure it's fluctuations in water weight.
holicanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:29 AM   #3  

All this fluctuation can drive you nuts
Old 06-13-2005, 07:50 AM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Which is why you should only weigh-in once a week (less if you can stand it) and at the SAME TIME and under the SAME CIRCUMSTANCES. I always weigh-in first thing in the morning when I wake up right after I pee If you wait until later in the day, then the different things you eat and drink throughout the day can affect your weight.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:52 AM   #5  

I am bad can't wait a full week. However, I do weigh in at 10 am on Tuesdays. I don't know which is my real weight or not but I figure both are going down so thats good and they are usually in 1 pound of eachother.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:55 AM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Being pregnant right now, I'm trying to not gain too much too fast, and have been kinda hopping on the scales sometimes on a daily basis. Even from day-to-day, weighing at the same time, weight can vary quite a bit. I weigh sans clothing first thing when I wake up and after going to the bathroom, and had a 3 pound increase one morning that was gone the next morning.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:00 AM   #7  
Eating for two!

Yes, weight varies day-to-day--which is why you're not supposed to weigh every day! Things like hormones, sodium (causing water retention), and SO many other things can cause your weight to fluctuate by up to 5 pounds from just one hour to the next, let alone one day to the next! I sometimes weigh in between my weekly weigh-ins, but I know that my weekly one is the only one that counts, so I never let the in-between scale hops bother me, even if it says I am up 4 pounds overnight! It's barely even humanly possible to gain 4 pounds of fat in a day--you would have to consume about 14,000 calories MORE than normal in one day to do so-- so you know the scale is just messing with your mind.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:13 AM   #8  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Jill, the fluctuations day-to-day are exactly why I weigh daily instead of once a week! I have this incredible fear that if I weighed once a week, I would just happen to weigh on the day that my weight fluctuates up a couple pounds, and I would think I had gained even if I really didn't. I think as long as you understand the fluctuations, there is nothing wrong with weighing daily. I usually don't count a weight as "official" until the scale has reliably read it for three days in a row.

I do make sure I weigh at the same time every day though -- first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom, putting in my contact lenses, and brushing my teeth!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:37 PM   #9  
Eating for two!

That is true, too, paperclippy. I actually read once (lord knows where) that another good way to do it (if you must weigh every day) is to write it down every day and then take the average for the week.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:54 PM   #10  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I weigh every day at the same time, just after I get up, as soon as I get to the gym. I don't tend to fluctuate too much at that time of the day but I do have a rule regarding low weights. I record them all, but if I don't hit that weight again within the next 7 days I have to strike it out. Even though I do sometimes go up after recording a low weight, I've never yet recorded a weight on the scales that hasn't been repeated or bettered within 7 days, so that method works for me. It keeps the motivation going because I recognise a loss as soon as I see it.

I find that daily weighing keeps me on track because even though I know that I shouldn't really be losing every day (although sometimes I do, mainly straight after TOM when it's water), it keeps me focussed that I could be down 1/4lb or something like that, and it sets the day off on the right footing - exercising and focussing on my goals.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:50 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 265/262.2/190

Height: 5'10"

I'm guilty of weighing every day too and I've noticed the same thing. I'm happy that at this point most of my fluctations have had a downward trend but it can be frustrating and confusing. On the other hand, an upward fluctuation is sometimes the push I need to stick to the program for the day. I need to stop weighing every day.
gray eyed girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 03:37 PM   #12  
Haley

Put the scale away! I keep mine under the bathroom sink so I don't have to constantly look at it and ONLY take it out on Sunday when I weigh myself and back under the sink it goes. Sometimes I will check my weight mid-week to see how I'm doing, but no more than that. If you have realized weighing yoruself every day only gets you down then realize you need to stop doing that!
haleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:28 PM   #13  

Hi! I weigh myself everyday but only count the Monday weight. When I don't weigh myself. i travel to the land of milk and cookies and the next thing you know I gain. Denial is a beautiful place.
sharonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:29 PM   #14  

Sharon:

I am the same way. Which is the reason I weigh everyday. I am not upset about the fluctuation just wondering the "why".
Thank you all for your replies