Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-11-2005, 10:54 AM   #1  

Question What Motivated You to Start Over?

Dear All: I used to be a regular poster here at the 3FC forums--years ago before my three-year-old son was born. I have since gained back a lot of weight. I'm currently at 255. ANYway, I'm trying to motivate myself to get healthy--eat right, and exercise, but I need a major BOOST. Every time I started in the past (and it's been time and time again) I always sort of WOKE UP and realized it was all up to me to do this.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to post thier "straw that broke the camel's back" stories that made them realize it's time to begin again. This will help to motivate me and probably scores of others.

THANKS A MILLION!

Nanner-head
Nanner-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 366/359/175

Height: 5'8"

Stepping on the scale and realizing that I was a mere 7lbs away from weighing 400lbs. I started that day and ahven't looked back.
Solus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:48 AM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I don't think it's as simple as realizing it's "time to begin again". It's more like the realization that it's time to finally lose the weight and keep it off permanently this time. I think most people who have managed to lose weight AND keep it off are those who realized that they had to completely change their lives. They had to eat differently and exercise regularly. And they realized they were going to HAVE to stick it out, work with it to keep motivated. Because once you go back to eating and thinking like you did before a "diet", we generally always gain it all back. I used to gain it back PLUS more. So I had to realize that I wasn't dieting this time but changing my habits, changing my life.

And the point that brings us all there can be totally different. For me, it was a change that was already taking place in my life that undoubtedly led to the realization that this time I wanted to lose the weight and keep it off. It was a simple act of bending over to tie my shoes and getting out of breath that triggered that realization.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 02:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 194/175.2/140

Height: 5'2"

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56851
josie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:12 PM   #5  
i luv my dog!

Turning 40, and knowing that the older you get, the more of a struggle losing it becomes.
a broad abroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

Just something last Sunday just clicked inside me, and I was tired of the way I looked and felt. I am tired of not having any clothes to wear, or the clothes that I do wear, being so tight that I'm uncomfortable. And that I don't want to go anywhere because I don't like the way I look. Realizing that I am closer to weighing 300 lbs than I am to 200.

~Liz
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:28 PM   #7  

I agree with Almostheaven. It IS all about changing the way you eat, exercise, and LIVE.

My sister has been thin and fit all of her life. But, as an adult she has been plauged by every health problem that runs in our family. She battles high blood pressure (reaching stroke level even on medication), high cholesterol with triglycerides all out of whack, etc. None of which she is able to control through diet or exercise.

And then there is me. I managed to dodge those genetic bullets and yet ate and lived in a way that put me at risk of each and every one of them. Diabetes is common in my family too and I knew that I would likely face that at some point as well. But, there was always tomorrow to worry about all of that.

Then my thin, fit, and 38 year old sister had a heart attack. She had a stint put in and recovered just fine. But, after such a scare, I could not imagine taking for granted the good health I had been blessed to have. It was the wake up call that made me realize that I could DIE. I haven't always been overweight and most of my previous attempts at losing weight were driving by vanity. I failed each and every time. Now, it is all about being healthy and living well. The closer I get to my goal weight the more I am motivated by my physical appearance but what will KEEP this weight off is the fact that I want to live a long and happy life with my family and friends.

If you haven't had a physical or blood work done recently, see your doctor. Seeing the impact your weight is having on your health may very well be the push you need to change your lifestyle and lose weight for good.

Once you get going you'll notice changes that will amaze you. At my heaviest I sort of knew that I didn't have as much energy as I wanted. But I never admitted it was because of my weight - my kids wore me out, housework wore me out, errands wore me out - but never my weight. It wasn't until I lost weight and realized how bad I used to feel in comparison to the new me that I realized what a burden I had been carrying around with me. And the aches and pains? Gone. With the exception of aggressive weight workouts, I don't remember the last time I complained that something hurt. And, oh my goodness, the pleasure of shopping for clothes now. I can't even count the number of social outings that I REALLY wanted to attend but didn't because I could never find an outfit that I looked okay in. Now, I look forward to getting invitations - and initiate as many as I can. I used to avoid old friends while I was out and about because I didn't want them to see how I looked. I'd think, "I don't have time to talk" or "I don't feeling like chatting", but the bottom line was that I was embarrassed to be seen. Now, I love bumping into old friends - and make an effort to get in touch with them. I don't worry that I'll be an embarrassment to my kids as they get older. At one point, this was a real concern of mine.

I could go on and on. There are just soooo many reasons to do the work and lose the weight and no GOOD reasons to keep it on. I can honestly say that when I finally made the decision that I HAD to lose weight it wasn't even hard. Sure, there were days when I might have been uncomfortable due to a little hunger - but how many times did I suffer through discomfort from being too full? Plenty. There are still days that my alarm goes off and I don't feel like going to exercise. But, all I have to do is ask myself whether or not I want to reach my goal and I know that I don't have a choice but to get up and get going. And I haven't given up anything. I eat whatever I want - I just don't eat AS MUCH as I want. What has been interesting, though, is that the further along I get, the healthier I feel, and the less appealing those old favorite foods seem. If someone had told me a year ago that I would one day WILLINGLY choose oatmeal and veggie sausage over biscuits, gravy, and bacon for breakfast I would have died laughing. Not only do I willingly choose healthier meals now I choose them because I LIKE them better not because they are BETTER for me.

You CAN lose weight and you SHOULD lose weight. You are worth it, your family is worth it, your LIFE is worth it.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 05:12 PM   #8  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Thumbs up Woohoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawsmom
You CAN lose weight and you SHOULD lose weight. You are worth it, your family is worth it, your LIFE is worth it.
Thank you, jawsmom, for an great post!

The part about the doctor reminds me, I need a checkup. Haven't been to the doc in a couple years, probably should get that cholesterol tested! Among other stuff!
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:05 PM   #9  

Thanks to all for the replies. Today when I woke up I went for a brisk walk and that set the tone for a great day. I'm ready.
Nanner-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:00 PM   #10  

I've been absent from this board for over a year - just popped back on tonight to try and encourage myself to lose the weight again. You've all said some things that really "clicked" with me.
This is the one life we are given - we have to do our part to make it an enjoyable journey. I'm not enjoying it when I feel bloated, fat, ugly, out of shape. I need to focus on the things that really make me feel alive - exercise, good food, lots of water, being involved in life....not watching it from the sidelines afraid of what others might think of me.

Thanks for your words - you've given me alot to think about.
Juldiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:08 AM   #11  

Height: 5' 8"

Smile reasons

I have been struggling with this too, I have so many reasons I want to lose weight and I have had such a hard time just getting started.
I am trying to apply the same principle to unhealthy foods that I did when I quit smoking several years ago. I remember I was smoking one day I thought about how I consume things that are so unhealthy... food, alcohol, cigarettes. I thought alot about cigarettes and what was in them- basically poison. I thought "I'm putting poison into my body. This IS poison! I'm slowly killing myself with poison! Why am I doing this?!?" I quit pretty easily. The thought of poison and how much I love my life and wanted to live it, that motivated me to virtually quit cold turkey. Soon it was three months since I'd smoked and realized I was no longer addicted and never was going to be a smoker again!

Now I'm at a point where I'm contemplating the unhealthy food I consume and how much weight I've gained. I really have a problem with french fries. I eat McDonald's alot, and order french fries at any restaurant I eat at if they serve them. Today I was talking to my mom about that and she was like "How are we going to stick to this? How do we keep each other motivated?" And I said we need to realize what we eat and put into our bodies is supposed to be nourishing, energizing, and life-giving. When I'm thinking about the food I'm going to eat or my daily meals, I try to think is this "poison" or is it nutritious? Am I harming my body, am I destroying my health, or am I being kind and helping my body support itself. I'm not going to totally deny myself, because every once in awhile a small bowl of ice cream, or popcorn will be nice. But in terms of my overall nutrition I am trying to think of the bigger picture. It's only been a week since I really started and I lost 2lbs so far, I am just taking this one day at a time and hopefully soon I can look back and say wow! I've eaten healthy for three months and look how far I've come.
Sun_Flower2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:47 AM   #12  

For me, it was both my parents being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. My mum is overweight but never has been obese, unlike me, who until recently was morbidly obese but now I am just plain obese LOL. My dad is tiny, he has never carried any extra weight.

I'm not motivated by my appearance, because if I really cared about that, I never would have gotten into this state to begin with. I have always had quite a positive body image, I'm not sure why. Being fat hasn't stopped me having a good love life, moving countries, having lots of adventures, getting promotions...... but it will stop me having a decent retirement if I don't do something now. I have a lot of living to do, and my body won't accommodate that if I don't change.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:24 AM   #13  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Personally, I know I feel older than I am. I am 22 years old (23 next month), and I look and feel old! I get tired going up a flight of stairs, and I can't buy cute clothes for my age (for less than like 50 bucks a piece, anyway!). I want to look and feel physically like I feel mentally--young and fun and vibrant! There wasn't necessarily a "straw that broke the camel's back," but the reasons for losing weight just kept piling up, ya know? Once you've got a laundry list of reasons, a list of things that can be fixed just by doing this one thing (losing weight), then the weight loss seems more like a process to attain MANY goals, not just one...kinda like killing multiple birds with one stone. My list includes:
- being able to fit comfortably in all restaurant booths
- being able to ride a roller coaster again
- being able to have kids without higher risk of gestational diabetes and other health concerns
- being able to buy younger clothing styles
- having more "intimate" fun (I have heard from multiple people that sex is so much better when you're thinner!)
- climbing stairs without being short of breath
- wearing a really great wedding dress (when the time arrives )
- never having people give me "that look" when I walk into a store that doesn't carry plus sizes, when I order a full meal instead of a salad at a restaurant, when I go through a fast-food drive-thru, etc...

So many reasons (even more than I listed) plus, of course, to be healthy. I'm lucky enough to be healthy so far (just had blood work done about a month ago and EVERYTHING is normal), but that luck won't hold out forever! You've just got to get that state of mind that SO many things in your life can be improved just by losing weight! Then it doesn't seem quite as daunting, ya know?
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:52 AM   #14  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Default Mrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
Personally, I know I feel older than I am. I am 22 years old (23 next month), and I look and feel old! I get tired going up a flight of stairs
That's such a great plus of getting healthy, it takes years off our lives. I'm always telling people that when I was in my 20's I felt like I was 40. Now that I am 40, I feel more like I'm in my 20's. That's how we should all feel. Life's too short as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
- having more "intimate" fun (I have heard from multiple people that sex is so much better when you're thinner!)
Don't believe everything you hear. My boney husband's favorite saying is "skinny girls bruise me up". Thank goodness he loves me for me, cause he'd just as soon have the 240+ pound woman he married. LOL
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:57 AM   #15  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

hehe, I said "thinner" not skeleton skinny! Jeff definitely loves me just fine the way I am--he has never once made a comment about my body, and we definitely have an active enough sex life. I just want to be thinner so I can have fewer worries about "being on top," those icky noises that sometimes happen as a result of extra skin moving in ways it shouldn't , and just overall be less self-conscious of myself (not just my appearance, but fear of hurting him!). So, how's all of that for TMI?
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote