Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-08-2005, 05:20 PM   #1  

Default Does it seem like every fat man on tv weighs less than you?

Well it does to me. I can see a guy who is ten inches taller than me, with the biggest gut, huge face and the whole kaboodle, and his weight will always come up... and its always 20 pounds or more less than me.

I don't get it.

I have been wearing a size 18/20 for a long while.. just recently pushed into a 22. My weight is all in my chest and my gut. I feel like I am in denial .. but I don't see how someone a foot taller than me and huge can weigh so much less.

Of course they just knock off bread, beer and ding dongs and they look swell.

This makes me very depressed and extreemly frustrated.
~lookin for lean~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:44 PM   #2  

It's really important to remember this crucial fact about weight and size: The more muscle and bone you have, the heavier you will be relative to size. A man of the same height and size as you will ALWAYS weigh more unless you are a body builder and he is a couch potato.

There is even a wide variation between women because we all have different body compositions. The best strategy is to stop comparing your stats to that of other people -- it will only drive you crazy and serves no purpose.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:21 PM   #3  

That went over my head. Does that explain how a man who is a foot taller than me, looks as large or larger weighs much less than me? It seems to me it would explain why they would weigh more, not less.

If it didn't come up so often... tv and real life.. it wouldn't bother me as much.

Not to worried about going crazy... been there done that.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Well...you have to realize that on a tv sitcom or a movie-they may not be using their actual weight. I remember the movie Batman with Kim Bassinger, and the weight 108 was mentioned. Yeah right...she's thin, but a very tall and amazonly built woman. She was very thin, and very sexy...but she was no 108...118 maybe.

My husband is 5'11" and weighs about 180 pounds. I am 5'7" and 164...and we have totally different shapes. I am an hourglass figure type-so my butt/thighs/legs are bigger than his...BUT my waist is smaller than his. My shoulders are narrower, and the circumference of my chest is smaller than his.

Men and women have different body types. Most men are built larger framed through the shoulders and chest-with tinier butts and thinner hips and legs. When they get overweight they generally carry it from their head to their middle...and they cans tay generally smaller in the hips and legs than women do.
Women tend to gain more all over-upper and lower body, so when we are fat we look different. Women also naturally carry a higher body fat percentage than men do, because we store extra fat for pregnancy and breastfeeding. In case of a famine we have these "fat stores" to keep populating the world.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 08:22 PM   #5  
SuperFreak

S/C/G: 330/319/150

Height: 5"5

I dont think its just men ,, Women as well always come up with these numbers and its like no way. And what I noticed was alot about myself. me I never wanted to admit to myself that I could out weigh a man. I mean me and my husband are close in weight and that upsets me some times also.
But yes it will always pop up but just got to try and see past all that stuff and just keep on working at your health thats all you can do because 98 % of those people are not ever telling the truth.
MorticiaAddams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 10:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

I think it is how we cary out weight. Guys carry it right in the front big beer belly ussually where as I cary it in my hips, legs, and butt(other women, chest and stomach or other parts). so I weigh more than a lot fo guys that see and I know I am big but I carry it differently. guys are so straight up and down so when they gain weight, it is way easier to see it. IMO
jennie934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 01:22 AM   #7  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Honestly, I'd say: "It's TV, people can say whatever they want about their weight". So many things are made up! After all, as long as the person isn't standing on a scale in front of you, what means do you have to know if she's telling the truth or not?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil
Women also naturally carry a higher body fat percentage than men do, because we store extra fat for pregnancy and breastfeeding. In case of a famine we have these "fat stores" to keep populating the world.
Drats, where can I exchange the "extra fat for pregnancy and breastfeeding" against muscle (or against nothing)? I don't need it, I prefer muscle instead
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 09:50 PM   #8  
This time I'll do it!!

I agree that a lot of folks on TV are not giving their accurate weight. Example, I read somewhere that Kirstie Ally's weight was over 300 lbs. That I believed. Then a few wks ago, I saw her in a tabloid, they said her weight was 200 lbs. She had a butt the size of Texas. I'm 190 & look nothing like that picture. I get kind of bothered when men say they weigh 185 lbs & look so much bigger than I.
India On The Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 05:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by India On The Beach
I agree that a lot of folks on TV are not giving their accurate weight. Example, I read somewhere that Kirstie Ally's weight was over 300 lbs. That I believed. Then a few wks ago, I saw her in a tabloid, they said her weight was 200 lbs. She had a butt the size of Texas. I'm 190 & look nothing like that picture.
Yes...but I am built very similar to Kirstie Ally...I carry most of my weight in my butt and thighs. When I was 200-211 pounds...my butt WAS the size of Texas as well. I do believe that she is indeed around 200 pounds right now. It all depends on how you carry your weight.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:27 PM   #10  

Especially when you look at Kristies waist and chin.. they look much slimmer.

I know for true real men who are taller and fatter (in my eye) and yet weigh less than you would think.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:48 PM   #11  
Alis Volat Propriis

OMG, yes, yes, yes! I saw Evander Holyfield on TV last week, and when they told his weight, I cried. I weigh more than Evander freakin' Holyfield, four-time heavyweight champ of the world. How can this be? And it really gets me when you see a linebacker running down the field at a football game -- and I'm talking linbacker, not the tightly packaged quarterback or the skinny kicker -- these guys look like tanks and then they show the stats on TV and they still weigh less than I do. Disturbing, to say the least.
Quite-a-Handful is offline   Reply With Quote