Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-06-2005, 05:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 261

Default Water Aerobics and walking in water

Any water aerobics fans out there? I started 2 months ago and have been losing about 2-4 pounds a week. I really love it any good books you have read or great water exercises? I keep reading that water exercises are not as good as the land but it really is working for me. Has anyone lost a lot of weight with water aerobics? I am still new to this group and trying to figure out exactly where to jump in I hope to find some place to get encouragement and give it too as I still have a looong way to get to my gaol!

Julie
Tokyo-gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 07:54 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Julie welcome to 3FC and Congrats on your weightloss so far !

I did water aerobics last summer but I don't do it year round. For me it was only an extra exercise to add to my other workouts but I sure did enjoy it a lot!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/170/130

Height: 5'3

Hello:

I am wondering is walking in water better then doing laps?
Nikki128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:01 PM   #4  

It doesn't give you an upper body workout.
Sequined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 03:28 AM   #5  

I had read that you burn more calories by walking then by swimming. I try and do both but I find that if you have a lot of weight to lose or even a little as your body is lighter you can walk longer. The pool really works for me I also swim a bit but since I added the walking walking the weight is really dropping off ! Give it a try & good luck! I think everyones body is diffrent find something you like
Old 06-10-2005, 06:01 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 21st/21st/12st

Height: 6ft 0 inch

i was just about to start a post about this myself! i went to my first aqua class this morning. i didnt seem to be oding much but was finding it hard especially jogging backwards in the water. and then i got out! man did my legs ache though they're not bad now. i guess i'm prety fit cos i do normal aerobics already but i really enjoyed it. i'll let yo know in a few weeks if it works.

how many times a week do you go?
msbeeverhausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 01:27 AM   #7  

Hello,
I go to pool aerobics about 5 times a week for about 50 minutes and also walk an hour I really like it. It is always good to do different things though when I lose a bit more weights then I will add on boxing or other things. Good luck I hope you enjoy it!
Old 06-14-2005, 12:49 PM   #8  
Rabid Claymate

What exactly is water aerobics made up of? I know walking on the pool bottom and such...but what else?
OperationSWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:00 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

OperationSWC -- Water aerobics is similar to an aerobic class but in water. In the classes that I have done we have music and we float with noodles and/or belts. The instructor is on the side of the pool, on land so to speak, and gives out instructions to the different movements... It's a lot of fun...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 21st/21st/12st

Height: 6ft 0 inch

basically what ilene said but what i found was that it's really hard running backwards in water. and you dont notice that you've done anything til you get out of the pool which is good. the water keeps you cool. i have a habit of fainting at aerobics classes so it suits me! you get to wear resistance gloves too which makes it harder
msbeeverhausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:40 PM   #11  
Rabid Claymate

I've got a pool in the backyard, maybe I should try some of this stuff... Thanks for the explaination.
OperationSWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:53 AM   #12  

Operationswc
Good Luck! If you have your own pool then that is great lucky you ! Just start with 10 minutes or so a few times a day or get it all done at once crank up the music and shake your booty out there in the pool

Make a circle or go back and forth walk, walk backwards, jog, jog backwards, jumping jacks, leg squats, Frog jumps (great for inner theighs), jump like your jumping rope, do kicks, punchs I guess you get the point just move! Give your neighbors something to talk about Ha ha

Good Luck it is fun and does not seem like you are working out but you are!!