South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 02:24 AM   #1  
i luv my dog!

Default Wednesday Beach Chat 6/8

Mornin' everyone, Happy Hump Day!

I have a quick question for the rabbit ladies out there. Three times this past week I have run into a wild hare lounging in our yard (actually four, but this morning he was in the neighbors yard). He's HUGE, about half as big as my dog, who comes up to my knees. I bet this bugs bunny weighs about 20 pounds or more! Of course he runs off as soon as I open the door and the dog takes off after him, but I'm worried about my plants.

I have some chives in the ground next to some flowers, and some tomato, spring onion, and basil in planters. One plant, the cherry tomato, already has little fruit on it and the others will be soon. Do you think this big rabbit will get into my goodies? We're considering moving them to the other side of the house, but its not as convenient to take care of there. Any tips? Thanks

Last edited by a broad abroad; 06-08-2005 at 02:34 AM.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:25 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning, A Broad, and thanks for starting us up. I love it when I get in here and the daily is already there!

If that Wascally Wabbit hasn't snacked on your plants, he may not. There is a repellant (harmless) that you could spray or dust on your green babies. It's called "Scat". Check out this website.

The knee? After all the gloom and doom preached to me, I seem to have missed the “unbearable agony” part! This morning it feels pretty darn good and I was able to go upstairs the proper way last night. Yippee! I expect it to be perfect soon but won’t push it.

This morning The Girls go for their booster shots at 9:30. I hope to get a couple of planters done else right after that. I’d like to get a bit more of my own planting done too. The car goes to the dealer for routine maintenance at 1:30. If I’m done there early enough, I’ll go visit Harry. If not, it’ll be tonight at 6 and then home here for dinner.

It's going to be hot today and for the rest of the week so I must get The Girls' wading pool set up for them. They looked very hopeful when I got out the hose yesterday.
So come a set for a bit - the back deck is just lovely this morning.

Happy Hump Day!
Old 06-08-2005, 08:05 AM   #3  
I vant to draw your blood

Good morning, Chicks~~

Ruth, how's Harry doing? Sorry, I haven't been able to stop in the past few days to find out.

Abroad...apparently, rabbits, at least our US bunnies, don't care for the smell of garlic and rotten eggs. Somewhere online you can find a recipe for your own homemade rabbit repel that you whiz up in the blender. Wish it worked as well for deer! LOL!!

Not a whole lot going on here...just busy as usual...trying to figure out a way to teach Rockhead (dd's dog) that "we do not gnaw on our kitty"! Looked out the back window this morning to see her flinging poor Toby around by the head!! Guess I'm going to have to get out a spray bottle and fill it with vinegar and spritz her every time she even looks crosseyed at the cat. Toby is such a passive cat(ie: dumbutt), he'll put up with anything.

Okay, gotta fly on outta here. Hope everyone has a great day on the Beach!

Mamacita
Old 06-08-2005, 08:13 AM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Mamacita, your poor cat! (do you think he secretly likes it? Some sort of masochist?)

Ruth, I KNEW you'd do those planters! Anyone else would have told the village to screw it.
I'm so glad your knee is feeling good! One less thing...
Love and hugs for you and Harry...

A broad, it sounds as though that bunny is eating something bigger and better than your garden!!
I don't have any suggestions. Our biggest problem is squirrels and cats, and I keep them out by putting bits of chicken wire around the plants.

Going to get coffee... back in a bit...
Old 06-08-2005, 09:00 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

A Broad, I just came up from the basement where I found a jar of "Scoot" which is a rabbit repellant. Here ya go!
"There goes Peter Cottontail, Hopping down the bunny trail....."

Hey, Mama, maybe Scoot would work on Rockhead if you sprayed the cat. Does she just carry him by the head or does she hurt him? It sounds to me as if she is mothering him. Dog shrink needed!

Harry? Well, my journal is full of the details but basically he has six broken ribs, one of which punctured his lung (it's healing)' I dealt with a snotty SW type yesterday about the furture. It looks like he'll be in hospital for at elast a week and then will probably go to a convalescent home. After that, depending on his recovery, he may be going to a nursing home. If he can't walk, it would be impossible to have him here. This is a time of transition for us both. I am dealing with a lot but am also feeling much less stress than I have for the past nearly two years! It's nice to be just me and the Girls at the moment. I'll keep you posted but I do my whining in my Journal, rather than here.

The Girls just guilted me into giving them each one of my breakfast grapes and reminded me we are off to the vet shortly. Gotta prinp them a tiny bit. I remembered not to give them fish for breakfast - Leslie hates fishy breath!

Gotta jet and will plant after the vet trip.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:01 AM   #6  

Morning. I'm not sure what happened to yesterday but I never got on the computer. DD's play set got here okay. The stupid dispatcher can't count. The truck was one of those small trailers (for when the are tandom) so it was fine on our road. I'm up 1/2 a pound but I've been slack on my water and veggies.

Ellis, I hope you saved me some coffee. How are you doing op?

abroad, you could alway turn him into stew. Just kidding?

Off to get my coffee.
Lydia
Old 06-08-2005, 09:07 AM   #7  
We are all Beautiful!!!

Morning chicks,

Grease was GREAT last night. I think the moms that brought their little daughters were surprised at how racey it was. I wanted to take DS who is 7 but DM said "do you want to get into that whole pregnancy thing with him?" and I'm glad that I didn't. And I didn't do too bad at the restaurant. I had 3 winos, steak and cesear salad and 1/2 piece of bread. The steak was 10 oz and I only had half. The cesear dressing probably killed me though.

I weighed in this am and I'm exactly the same. I'm going to reweigh on Saturday because I forgot to take my meds yesterday am and ended up taking them at 11pm last night. My hormones will be screwed for a couple of days. I'm probably going to do a couple days of phase I next week just to get back to basics. I'm not exercising cause of my back and that always slows things down. I said yesterday that I'm not getting enough veggies so I'm going to get them back into the diet today. I'm not going to fret over this cause I feel like my weight is down and my size 16 shorts that are misses not womens are fitting good.

Mama - What is the deal with that dog? Poor cat.

Ruth - Glad the knee is feeling better.

A broad - HOW ARE YOU???? Someone is feeding that bunny. If he's eating that good he won't eat your greenies. They usually only eat my lettuce, cauliflower and broccoli heads.

Ellis - Morning - I needed my coffee this morning too!

Have a good day chicks.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:28 AM   #8  

Ruth - I just noticed your birthday is the day before mine! How cool!

All - my doggie is soo annoying right now. He jumps on everyone, and he is soo hyper!!! He is a little over a year old, and he's still doing this. We have only had him for a few months, though. Will he do this forever if he's still doing it after a year? He likes to put his little paws up on the counter too and sniff around. I am scared to have any food on the counter when I'm not right there! Does anyone have any doggie training tips? He's pretty good about not pottying in the house though, so that's a major plus. He likes to tear up his toys though...lol.
I am getting excited about our float trip this weekend. I went to walmart last night and bought a battery operated lantern and some bag chairs and stuff. I also went tanning. I feel sooo much better about my fat when it's brown! I found out last night that we won't have to sleep in a tent!!! YEA!!! There's room in the cabin for us to put our blowup mattress down. I'm very happy about that!
Hope you all have a great Wednesday!
Old 06-08-2005, 09:35 AM   #9  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Morning all --

Cats and dogs, oh my! And I thought I was having a problem with JoJo using the baby as her kitty swatting bag...

Ruth - hugs!

As for me it's a loverly day. Sure it's hot and gross out BUT (and it's a big but[t] ), the birds are chirping and the sun is out and I go some this morning after our first big fight last night...

I am also wearing the dress I graduated from college in (in 1999), without Lycra, and it's a big BIG on me!!!

And, got on the scale, and it read 194.6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Hump Day all !!!
Old 06-08-2005, 10:02 AM   #10  

Good morning!

A Broad: I don't know anything about rabbits, but is your dog a Rat Terrier? He looks a lot like my little Rat from the picture. Aren't they fun?

Well, I made it out of bed for a run this morning. I changed running shoes because my knee was hurting half way through my run, but it didn't help. I actually got the pain earlier. And, I was actually fitted for these shoes by a dedicated running store. I was hoping it was just the shoes, but I guess not. I should get my MRI results some time this week. I sure hope it's today. I hate wanting to exercise, but not being able to do the kind that really motivates me. Grrr...

After my no loss weigh in yesterday, I decided not to step on the scale today. I'm pouting at it. I'll teach it to not move down!

Hope you all have a great day!
Old 06-08-2005, 10:37 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 251/251/150

Height: 5'5"

Good Morning Gals! I guess you all thought I'd fled the country!
I'm enjoying my job, I was dead tired tho when I got off Sunday night!
I've been off since then, and don't go back until Friday evening. I've been trying to rest up good since then.
This morning was my weekly meeting with my trainer, and I weighed in 2 lbs down! woo hoo But even better than the weight loss, yesterday, my dd and I went hunting for me a new swim suit, and I found one, and it wasn't in the plus size section!!!! I actually had fun trying on clothes! I bought some shorts that were several sizes smaller than anything I've worn in ages! My DH grinned really big when I tried them on for him! And commented on them again this morning!
I went looking for some new scrubs the other day, and my usual 2XL were way too baggy, but the XL were just a little tight..So I'm not gonna get any new ones until the XL ones fit better! The one's I'm wearing right now are very loose.
On another good note, my blood pressure has gone down even more...it was pretty high the first time he took it, and now it's down quite a bit.
I know I'm feeling so much better!
My oldest DD came home from Mexico safe and sound Tuesday night! I was never happier to see her....I hadn't heard from her since she flew out of Atlanta on the Wednesday before...and with this girl missing in Aruba. I was just glad the Megs was with her best friend and a very trustworthy chaperone! I knew they wouldn't get into any trouble! But I was still nervous!
well, I'm outa here for now, hope you all have a great day!
Old 06-08-2005, 11:00 AM   #12  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Great news Phins!!! CONGRATS!
Old 06-08-2005, 11:02 AM   #13  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Wow, A Broad, that hare sounds magnificent! I know how you feel, though...the squirrels and rabbits get into our plants now, so I'm concerned about what will happen when we plant our first garden. From what I've read, the best way to keep them out is a fence with a good barrier under the ground, as they will dig under the fence. I'm sure people here will have other ideas, though.

Ruth, I'm so very glad that your knee is doing so well! You enjoy your mobility! I hope you have a good day in spite of all the busyness. I'm so sorry for what you are going through with Harry, but glad that you are finally getting a break. You've been going nonstop for so long... I'd love pics of the pups splashing in their pool... (hint, hint...) It sounds darling! Thanks for the website...I'll bookmark it for the future, in case. Do you think the products, like Scat, would be harmful to eat if you put it on veggies? Or could you just wash it off when you pick them?

Mamacita, poor Toby! Was Rockhead just playing with him? My friends had a cat that was like that...you could do anything and he didn't care.

Ellis, do you think A Broad might have found the rabbit from Monty Python? Maybe he eats bad neighbors?

Lydia, glad your play set got there okay. Waiting for deliveries can be so frustrating!!! Hey, no joking about eating my furkids, okay?

Anchor, glad Grease was fun! It's a very racy show...especially compared to the one that was on tv. Definitely not kid material! Glad you had fun, though! Great idea about getting more veggies in.

Jen, have fun preparing for your trip! Have you tried obedience classes? They are not only good for helping you work with your dog but also give your dog "work" to do so they are not as bored. It's a great bonding time, too. Check into it!

Jenn, you happy girl! I'm thrilled to hear about the dress and the weight. You skinny thing! Were you guys fighting about the wedding? DH and I had our biggest fights up to that point about our wedding, and often about the weirdest things, too. Glad you made up. Making up can be very fun!

Love, take care of that knee, okay? They can really make your life heck if they hurt (as Bamie and Ruth know). Good for you on exercising!

Me:
Oy, my time after school was supposed to be super calm, but it's not working out that way. I stayed up until 12 last night with the housecleaning, then didn't go workout this morning. I figured I needed the extra sleep, though I felt miserable for not going to the gym. Next week I'm getting back into my routine or I'll be a mess!

Weight went up to 213.5 yesterday but I ate late...today was down to 212.5. Not sure what's going on, but I'm actually eating less lately because I've been so busy.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 06-08-2005, 11:05 AM   #14  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Phins, we posted at the same time...congrats on all the wonderful changes going on in your life. You're doing great!
Old 06-08-2005, 01:25 PM   #15  
A Lily from my yard!

Whew you get in here late and it is a chat a thon! lol Had to take DD to the eye doc this morning for new contacts. She only had 2 pair left and her Aussie trip will be here before we know it! Now we all have to get our laundry and stuff done because we are headin to TN tomorrow. My sister won 4 passes to the CMA Music Fest (Fan Fair) and DD is in 7th heaven cause she gets to go! DS is tryin to get me to go with them but I am just not that interested that I would want to do all that walking in all that heat! When I was a country music fan I would have loved it but now...no thanks! lol

Ruth...Glad to hear everything is ok as it can be with Harry. I can so imagine your relief right now. I know it must be a happy sad time for you.

I gotta get goin. I have actually been busy working on my HI stuff today and need to get my house stuff done! lol Have a great day all!
Closed Thread