South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 10:27 PM   #1  

Default Rice question-I'm confused.

I'll start by saying that I know SBD is not the same as a low glycemic diet but it does stress lower GI foods.

I have a rice question-can you tell I am gearing up for Phase 2? LOL

I know the SBD guidelines say to eat brown rice, however I was perusing a GI list the other night and Uncle Ben's converted rice has the lowest GI of all the types listed. Can anyone help explain that to me? If that is the case, wouldn't that be the better choice?
Old 06-08-2005, 08:29 AM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Pickle, good question! I'm not entirely sure of the reason behind the extra promotion of brown rice unless it happens to have more nutrients than converted. The GFGCG says that brown, wild, and converted rice are all good choices. Feel free to eat any from that list as often as your body can handle in Phase 2.

Unlike low carb diets, SBD does stress eating whole foods for health. I figure that converted might have less nutrients than brown or wild, which may be why it isn't promoted as much. I know that Barb uses converted often and enjoys it. I've never tried it. What makes it 'converted'?

Pickle, on another front, you might consider changing your name to something more positive. I'm sure that there are many wonderful aspects of you whether your body may be 'chunky' or not. And when your body is skinny, you'll want a name that reflects that. What about "Pickle Chick"? If you decide to change your name, just send a PM to RuthXXX...she can make the change for you.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:47 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I thonk the conversion process involves removing some of the starch but could be wrong.

Just PM me if you want a name change. Yours isn't too,too bad but is a bit negative! The worst one I ever suggested changing was LardArse! And then there was FlabbyThighs! Oy vey!
Old 06-08-2005, 10:12 AM   #4  

Uncle Ben's Converted is what I use. Just make sure it is the Converted and not one of the flavored or instant varieties.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:43 PM   #5  

Thanks for the rice info. I don't know what makes it converted either???? Maybe it has seen the light and been converted from bad to good carbs. LOL

I'll take your advice and change my name. I wasn't even thinking when I took that one. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:01 PM   #6  

Default I found this info online if you're interested...

Converted rice is definited as a white rice prepared from brown rice that has been soaked, steamed under pressure to force water-soluble nutrients into the starchy endosperm, and then dried and milled. HTHS!
Old 06-09-2005, 10:02 PM   #7  

Default Ooops, typo!

Sorry, that's "defined", not "definited".
Old 06-09-2005, 10:12 PM   #8  
Cat Lover

So I am not too into boiling rice for about 45 minutes. I have to plan for something like that...so

I have always bought Succes Rice boil in the bag BROWN RICE. Please help me...it says itis brown rice. Is it okay?????????

SANDI
Old 06-09-2005, 10:44 PM   #9  
Hottie on the Beach!

Red face

Rice sounds so yummy!!! How much can I have? Can you tell I loaned my book to someone?
Closed Thread