South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 07:40 PM   #1  

Talking Just Starting

Hello,

I am northernmom. I am a 40 year old, married, two teenage daughters(if that isn't a test in itself) and about 100lbs overweight. I live in Northern Canada which has its challenges also.

I am just finishing the SB book and have found it very interesting. To be quite honest I am a little nervous about starting it as I did not have a very good reaction to the Curves diet and am a little afraid that SB is like the Curves. I like the fact that right after the phase one you are introducing the carbs back in.

I really would like to give this a go. Do you lose weight to fast on SB. What I mean by this is does your skin follow you or is the weight loss so fast that it just hangs. I know this seems like a stupid question but one I have none the less.

I hope I will fit into this family of SB. I play fair and I do not kick sand.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:44 PM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Northernmom, welcome to the Beach! We don't get many Canadians in here.
Some people lose quite quickly on South Beach... particularly those who have a goodly amount to lose.
As for the skin... I'm not sure... anyone else?
Old 06-07-2005, 08:09 AM   #3  

I have had some problem with loose skin as I have been losing weight. Partly I think it is because we aren't teenagers anymore (I'm 42) and the skin just isn't as elastic. What I have done is toning exercise to build and tone the muscles. I haven't had much problem with loose skin on my legs but I did have the "hanging wings" under my arms. I take a Powerflex class at the gym where we work out with weight (you can use as light as you want or as heavy). We work all parts of the body including the arms and it has really helped. My wings are almost gone now.

I do have a little hanging skin on my stomach but then I had a c-section 8 years ago and my stomach has never been the same. I would still prefer an almost flat stomach with some loose skin to what I had before. I used to be a size 20 and now wear an 8.

I started South Beach for my health which has gotten much better. But it has greatly improved my appearance. I suggest waiting until phase 2 to start exercising if you have not done it already. I started slow and then added intensity and variety as I got more fit. You can see from my signature how quickly I lost. I would have lost more in phase 1 but I had started a diuretic shortly before I started South Beach so I had already lost the water.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:49 AM   #4  

Thanks for the infor girls. It sounds like you are both pros. It is very exciting to see your stats. Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am hoping to start phase 1 next week when I am totally done the book. How did you guys find phase 1? Do you have any advise for a greenhorn?
Old 06-07-2005, 08:55 AM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

Well, I certainly am an expert at losing and gaining!

Phase I can be difficult the first few days. Some people get headaches from detoxing (they do pass), but after a few days, you'll find a decrease in appetite, fewer cravings, and less weight!!
Make sure you drink lots of water! And really eat up the veggies. That's one area that a lot of people neglect.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:15 AM   #6  
A Lily from my yard!

Hey Northernmom welcome aboard! Glad to have ya on the sand!
Old 06-07-2005, 09:44 AM   #7  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Welcome!
Old 06-07-2005, 01:41 PM   #8  

Height: 5' 2"

Welcome to the beach!! You'll love it here!
Closed Thread