Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-06-2005, 07:42 AM   #1  
Ilene the Bean

Cool Cool Runners #9 June 6 - 12

New week and looking to be a hot one here!!

No running for me today I'm working legs and biking...

NEXT !!

Anine -- How was your marathon??
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:09 AM   #2  

Hot one here, too. I got out early to do my 35 minutes (closer to an hour by the time I walked to my starting point and walked back home) and it was already over 80 by the time I got home.

I need to ask you all a question. Has anyone had any bladder issues when they first started running? I feel like I am going constantly (just about every hour to hour and a half) and not fully emptying. I have been to the doctor 2x and there is no bladder infection. I have an appointment with a urologist in July. It started about 2-3 weeks ago when I hit 5 miles. Thanks

The other thing I need to work on is setting my pace. I keep starting out too fast and getting tired along the way. I am much better on my long runs with a group. Our section coach uses a Garmin Forerunner to keep us on pace. Does anyone else use one of these? I have been looking at the 201.
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Day off running for me while I recover from yesterday's race. Climbing up and downstairs is a bit uncomfortable today, but not too bad.

Ellen, I use a forerunner 201 most of the time while running. It does help me keep myself slower at the start of a run and stop me from slowing down too much later on. At least, it helps when I pay attention to it. I'd probably get a 301 rather than 201 if I was going to buy one today because I've been reading a lot about heart rate training and have concluded that long runs, at least, should be run at a lower heart rate than I probably do.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:47 AM   #4  

I had a decent weekend. Yesterday I just did my 30 m. walk with 30 min strength training. Today I did my scheduled 10 w/20r/10w. I am noticing that I am starting to build up indurance, I started out running 3 walking 2 during the 20 minutes but am now up to 5 and 2. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will be able to run the entire time.

Ilene: congrats on running in TWFL (I think that is the acronym).

ellen: I have a Garmin Forerunner and I really like it. I too have the problem of pacing myself and it helped me last year while I was training. I also used it to sync with my computer and keep a log of runs. I just wished it had a heart rate monitor built into it. I tend to look like I am wired for life support when I wear my Forerunner, heart rate monitor and iPod.
NillaWafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:50 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Only Me -- I forgot about your marathon.... Congrats
Old 06-06-2005, 10:50 AM   #6  
Made my Goal weight!

Hey Runners

I havent run in a few days, as I could feel my knees and hips aching too much...but after a few days break I feel 200% better. I enjoy running so much that I am always cautious of a possible injury...better to take a few days and re-group than push too hard and be unable to run for who knows how long...
Anyone have any serious problems from running?? I sometimes have problems with my left hip getting sore, mostly because I am lactose intolerant and do not get enough calcium, plus being prego three times in less than for years didnt help either...lol... Just wondering what daily "obstacles" others have to overcome to be able to run....just when I start to feel sorry for myself that my hip is annoying me, it is a great relaity check to know it really could be so much worse....well, I am glad it isnt!...lol

Happy Monday runners! I will be running today....I am not too sure if I am #1 trying to do 10km in under 60 minutes or training for a 1/2 marathon....I am sooooo confused!

Leanne
LeanneM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 10:59 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Hello Cool runners. Back from vacation. Managed to hit the gym a few times at the hotel but it was just too hot and humid for me outside so I was stuck on the treadmill. Weather here is comfortable now because I am used to HOT. Looking forward to settling back into things. My 1/2 marathon training starts in just over a month so I am going to concentrate on getting my times down until then since I am already at my start mileage.

Only Me- Congrats on your marathon! and Leanne-congrats on meeting your goal time!
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 11:42 AM   #8  

Lol, thanks all, no marathon for me yet. It was "just" a 10k race, but I ran it in 52:51, so I'm incredibly happy about that!

Leanne, training for a 1/2 will almost certainly reduce your 10k time as well. Long runs, tempo, fartlek, hills, more kms running--all with help you run a 1/2 as well as run a 10k faster. My knees are what lets me know if I've been running too much or too fast or need new shoes. But I've been having less problems lately; I guess I've adjusted to the amount of running I'm currently doing, and I'm being careful about not increasing too much at once. Supposedly you're more prone to injury right after a race too, so good for you for taking it easy the last few days.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:52 AM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Leanne -- For me it's knees too but not as bad anymore because I am cautious and I also take Glucosamine and weight train... I always make sure that I work my quads, glutes and hams in the gym to make my ligaments and muscles strong. Plus weight training is good for the bones. Do you weight train? My foot doctor was really surprised that I had no hip, knee or joint problems ''at my age'' ... when I told him I'd been weight training for the last 20 years he said ''That's great, the joints are only as strong as the surrounding ligaments and muscles'' I was happy to hear that...

OnlyMe -- 10K in 52 minutes that's awesome ... There is no such thing as ''only'' 10K ....

SkinnyJeans -- Welcome back to the swing of things...
Old 06-06-2005, 09:11 PM   #10  

Way to go, Only Me on the 10K!!

I finished my first 5K this weekend. Finished in 32:49.73 (gun time). My Forerunner caught me going a little bit slower, but either time would be the fastest I've run the distance so far. I really liked the race - it was easier to run when my mind was off the actual running part, if that makes sense. And I didn't walk even one step, which was my personal goal for my first race, so I'm exstatic.

I love my Forerunner 201. I got a good deal on eBay (less than $100 for a new one). I wasn't interested in the heart monitor and didn't think it was worth the big difference in price. Being aware of my pace during the race meant that I didn't start out too fast and I was passing people toward the end.
DebbieJRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 06:37 AM   #11  

Great job to both Only Me and DebbieJRT!! Racing is a rush all its own, isn;t it? I have a 10K on Sat and am looking forward to it. I have no real time goal in mind - I just want to go and experience the fun.

Keep up the comments on the Forerunner - I am so on the fence. I have a Nike Heart Rate Monitor, so was thinking on the 201. Any thoughts on the 201 vs the 301 would be helpful - guess I can always put my HRM up on ebay if that is the way I go. It is just hard to justify the additional $100 ...
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:18 AM   #12  

Debbie, congratulations on a new record for the 5k!

Ellen, good luck this weekend! 10k is a great distance for racing.

I'm still sore this morning, actually worse than yesterday I think, as I found out while trying to run. I managed about 7k but I was having trouble keeping up a steady pace and my legs didn't enjoy it much, although they were starting to loosen up by the end.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:31 AM   #13  

Height: 5'7"

Debbie, great job on the 5K! Only Me, congrats on your 10K! Ellen, good luck with your 10K this weekend.

I actually think the 10K distance is the most brutal of the distances I've run so far. A marathon hurts of course, but my muscles have never been so sore for so long as after a 10K--its short enough to need/want to push hard the whole way, and long enough to feel it! You gals have my respect.

I've had a rough couple weeks fighting off what the docs now think are probably kidney stones--I had a kidney sonogam yesterday, and will hear about it tomorrow. Unbelievably painful, but at least not dangerous to either me or the baby. I think there is a good chance the #$%& thing has passed now though, so it's back to normal, whatever that is when you're 5-6 months pregnant.

I got out this morning and walked my 2.5 mile running loop. It takes so long to walk it, but I think my running days are officially over until I deliver!

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:39 AM   #14  
Made my Goal weight!

Hey Everyone

Wow, it sure does get me pumped and ready to run when I hear about you guys running and making new goals and doing races...very motivational...
Only Me- Congrats on your race, 10km in your time is AWESOME!! Great Job!!

I will weight train starting now a little more than I have been doing...But, with my kiddlets and hubby gone away on and off it is hard to make a schedule and be able to stick to it...

Yesterday I ran 5km OUTSIDE...it was SOOOOOO hot and humid I must have been NUTS...the good thing is, even though it was UNBEARABLE HOT and EXTREMELY windy, I managed to do my 5km in 31 minutes...SO, I am trying to incorporate fartlek and all those hill training AND ALL... BUT, I am finding most programs I have found on the NET HARD to understand....Just wondering if someone can send me their program just so I have a better idea what you do to train for a 1/2 marathon or 10km....

Thanks bunches...Alright, I am off

Leanne
LeanneM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:54 PM   #15  

Still hanging in there with the same routine. I did 10w and 10 run (ran the whole time..yeah!!!) and 10 walk. I wanted to put a little something extra in today so I went to a water aerobics class and had a lot of fun. I would like to work it into my regular exercise schedule.

Debbie: great job on the 5k!
NillaWafer is offline   Reply With Quote