Old 06-02-2005, 11:31 PM   #1  
Black Belt In Training

S/C/G: 289/243/160

Height: 5' 7"

Question Hi! I'm new...

Hello all, I'm new to the message board. My name is Laura, I'm 28. My boyfriend of 8 years, Charles and I have three children, Morgana-6, Ariana-4 and Ewan-2.
I have been overweight since around the age of 8 or 9. I hovered at about 200 lbs until my first pregnancy when I gained about 60-70 lbs. I didn't gain much with the next two pregnancies but after the babies were born I managed to pack on some more weight.
This past March after seeing all the health problems my dad had suffered the last few years of his life (diabetes, high blood pressure, and some other problems ultimately leading to his death) I decided I should take control and get healthier by losing weight and incorporating better eating habits into my life.
I first began getting healthier by starting Tae Kwon Do, which I love. Classes on Monday and Wednesday and Saturday's open gym are highlights of my week! My oldest daughter takes it too so its a family thing. In addition to my classes and open gym (each class is one hour, open gym is from 10 am until noon each Saturday) I exercise at home to a video at least 30 minutes each day. I have also started drinking water throughout the day, avoiding soda, and drinking skim milk or 100% juice with meals or snacks.
My biggest down fall are my eating habits. I tend to skip breakfast, rarely eat lunch and then by dinner I am starving to I'll eat a huge dinner and snack until bed time. I am working to correct my eating habits and my goal for June is to eat breakfast everyday. I'm doing ok so far. Future goals are to eat breakfast and lunch everyday and then incorporate snacks into my day.
I have been improving the food choices in my house, eliminating foods I can eat alot of-like ice cream, cookies, muffins, etc. and buying more fruits and veggies that are easy to grab and eat. Some days I do really well eating my fruits and veggies other days...well...those are another story. I also buy most whole wheat breads, pastas, etc. and my family hasn't really noticed. I have just started switching from full fat products to low fat/no fat ones and happily haven't noticed any loss in taste.

All in all I would love to lose about 115 lbs more. I have dropped 15 since March. On one hand 15 is a dismally small number-I'm averaging 1.25 lbs per week, I had been hoping to lose 2 lbs per week. But on the other hand it doesn't seem too bad, (I mean, hey I actually lost weight on my own-YEAH!), and it came off fairly easily. I am hoping however, once I begin eating more frequently during the day I will start to lose a little bit more quickly now that I have increased the amount of exercise I get each week.

I am hoping to make some new friends here and look forward to getting to know all of you.
taekwondomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:40 AM   #2  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Hi Laura good to see you here. 15 lbs since march is great. Don't be hard on yourself. 1.25 a week is 65 in a year that's more than half your goal. Keep up t he good work.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:43 AM   #3  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Congrats on getting active & losing 15#! Welcome to the board.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 03:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Hi and welcome WTG on the losses thus far. It sounds like you are doing well and I know for me finding an exercise I enjoy really helps out in that dept.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:41 PM   #5  
...toward a better me!

Hi Laura!

15 pounds is a GREAT start! There's power in doing it all yourself, isn't there?

I identified with your nighttime eating. My pattern is the same as yours. I have a new policy that once I've had a normal dinner, the kitchen lights go out and it's closed for the night. I refuse to cross the threshold. But I don't have 3 kidlets and a boyfriend to contend with so it probably wouldn't work for you!

P.S.- Love your line about fighting out of your fat suit. I'm "walking" out of mine!!
cecilyisworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Now here's a person who really can kick our butts! Welcome! Your weight loss rate is perfect for health. I know we all want to make it happen fast, but I believe that slow and steady prepares your body for maintenance (which is the most difficult part of weight loss) and helps with saggy skin.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 01:54 AM   #7  
Black Belt In Training

Smile Thanks!

Thanks for all your friendly welcomes!
I know I'm not doing badly, I'm just impatient! :::sigh!::: I guess I'm learning to take care of my body and developing my patience. LOL

Last edited by taekwondomom; 06-04-2005 at 01:55 AM. Reason: mispelled words! OOPS
Old 06-05-2005, 08:02 PM   #8  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

WELCOME!!!!

It really sounds like you are on your way to some permanent lifestyle changes. And after all, that's what this is really all about. Congratulations on your first 15 lbs and we hope to see more of you!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 09:05 PM   #9  
Crazy Canuck

Hi Laura and welcome! You've made a great start and it looks like you have the motivation to carry it through! Keep it up (for your sake AND ours - we love inspiration around here!)
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 10:52 PM   #10  
missaprylj

What Jill said.

For real: Welcome, and good luck. We can't wait to hear you "weigh-in"! ( I kill myself sometimes, really...)
Old 06-06-2005, 11:33 AM   #11  

Welcome, I identified with so many of the things you so eloquently wrote. You are very well on your way to a permanent lifestyle change and it is wonderful to have you here! This is a supportive group and keep coming back whether you are succeeding or struggling with success, this is the place where support is given and received. Wonderful to have you here!!
Jenaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 12:16 AM   #12  
Black Belt In Training

Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone! It was always overwelming to me to think of losing 100+ pounds but I have been relieved to find out the small lifestyle changes aren't so bad!
More good news! I am down 2 lbs more as of my weigh in yesterday.