Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-03-2005, 10:45 PM   #1  
--{ JEN EDEN }--

Unhappy WorkOut Ideas & Are There Any Good Tapes

Hey!
I am starting a good eating plan with eating like 6 small meals a day, healthy ones of course. I use to be active like real active, 10 years of dance, karate and swimming. Even though I have a pool I dont want to hate myself more by getting in with a swim suit on. I am 21, and since gradation from high school I have gain 30 pounds and I will like to lose about 40 pounds. Ok I dont have the money for a gym membership and I dont live in a good area where I can go out and walk. I am also a full-time student getting up at 4:30am. So I need a good solid workout that I can do in about 30-45 minutes a day between school and work. Ok so it will be great if I can get some assistants here!!! I was wondering if any of you have gotten any good results from any workout tapes. And if anyone knew of any good workouts that can get my stomach in shape and legs and arms in shape. I am sorry about asking all of this but any help would be really nice!!!

Thanks A Lot!!
Creature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 08:01 AM   #2  

Hi Jen,
There are tons and tons of good tapes. It really depends on what you want to do. There are step videos, kick boxing, and lots of interval training. You can go to www.collagevideo.com and get about a 60 second preview of there selection. Also you can go to http://www.videofitness.com/reviews/ for video reviews, these girls are over the top with tapes and working out.

Personally I use a really old step tape of Susan Powter for my cardio, she's a good instructor and the moves are basic, nothing crazy. I also dabble in Joyce Vedral for my weight training, her books are fantastic. Now her video's leave a bit to be desired, her form is really bad and she skips reps. If you know what your doing and don't mind pausing the tape now and again she has a great concept. But there are sooo many more, shop around and see what you like.

Hope this helps, pm me if you have any other questions! BTW, I have lost about 30 lbs and only have about 10 more to go. Staying active and eating smart will get you there, it's just takes a long time.
lmatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 08:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi there,

I get a newsletter from Collage Video. They really do have an excellent selection, good reviews, etc. My personal favorite is Billy Blanks and the Tae-Bo advanced tapes - the ones that last an hour. The first time I did them like I had good sense, I lost about 30 pounds. Too bad I didn't keep it up. However, I am back doing them along with running some, weight lifting and cheerleading so the weight is coming back off. Lori was right that what you want to do is achievable. Just find a few tapes - rent from blockbuster if you want to try them first and then go from there. Oh yeah, and eat right. All the tapes in the world won't help if you don't get the right foods in.

Good luck.

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 08:55 PM   #4  
The Supreme Potato

I've heard a lot of people say that jumping rope is a real effective cardio workout, as well as kinda fun. I suppose this is something that's best done in a house where you don't have downstairs neighbors. You can't beat the price of admission though.

spud
spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:31 PM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Default Mrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud
I've heard a lot of people say that jumping rope is a real effective cardio workout, as well as kinda fun. I suppose this is something that's best done in a house...
I'm bettin' you have some mighty tall ceilings.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:37 PM   #6  

I skip rope right on the sidewalk in front of my house with my daughter. I don't care WHO is looking, I'm reliving my elementary school years singing "Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear" and "Cinderella, Dressed in Yellow, Went downtown to see her Fellow!!!"

Tiki.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:19 AM   #7  
--{ JEN EDEN }--

Thank You So Much You Guys For All Of YOur Replys!!!

Thanks!!!

I have just found 3 wrokout DVDS in my house one is for a weight loss balance ball that I have, one for palaties (sp?) and one with different workouts for different areas--- I guess using those and switching them up will help--- I also got rid of anything that might temp me to eat wrong in this house!!! Its a start!!
Creature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 12:44 PM   #8  

Jen,

From what you described you seem to have 3 tapes that focus on strength training, core muscles, etc. You probably should still try to find at least one good tape for cardio. Whether its dance aerobics, kickboxing or walking away the pounds, you need to have something that gets your heart rate up for at least 20-30 minutes in order to burn the fat.

Tiki.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:24 PM   #9  

I really like The Firm workouts. They combine cardio with strength training. I have several of their tapes, but mostly use a 45-minute workout called Total Body Sculpting. Since you're a dancer, you will be more coordinated doing them than I am!
byugrad is offline   Reply With Quote