South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 11:15 PM   #1  
I painted my avatar. :-)

Question Daily Dairy on P1

Would someone give me some example of how to get 3 servings of dairy? Like type, serving size, and when it should be consumed?
And what and how much of other things can be added to the ff plain yogurt to make it taste better? Thanks alot. Really enjoying this site.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:38 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'll move this to the main forum so you'll get more ideas.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:16 AM   #3  

Wendy, I don't think you get 3 serving of dairy on P1. As for the yogurt, I add peanut or almond butter to it. You could add nuts or cinimmon and sweetner. Or just not eat it.

Lydia
Old 06-03-2005, 09:29 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

From the Phase I Food List
Quote:
MILK/DAIRY
(2-3 cups allowed daily, including yogurt)
Low-fat milk (fat-free and 1%)
Fat-free 1/2 & 1/2 (less than 2 tablespoons)
Low-fat plain, vanilla, or sucralose-containing soy milk (4 grams of fat or less per 8 ounce serving). Be sure the product does not contain high fructose corn syrup
1% or fat-free buttermilk
Fat-free plain yogurt
I sometimes add sugar free syrup to my yoghurt or add herbs and use it as a dip. Protein shakes from teh Recipe section are also a good way to get milk.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:38 AM   #5  

Thanks Ruth. I guess that means I can have more yogurt. I guess you didn't get any sleep.

Lydia
Old 06-03-2005, 09:42 PM   #6  
I painted my avatar. :-)

I bought some fatfree plain yogurt today by Dannon. It has 16 gr of sugar. Is that normal for that kind of yogurt???
Old 06-03-2005, 11:06 PM   #7  

Do you mean carbs? If carbs, then yes, it's normal. Sugar however shouldn't be included.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:00 AM   #8  

Dannon Fat Free Plain yogurt is fine. The sugar comes from the lactose that is in the milk that the yogurt is made from. When you try yogurt you should check the ingredient list for added sugar. Many carb control yogurts have nasty stuff we don't want to be eating. Blue Bunny Lite is the one I eat on phase 2 but the Dannon plain is my phase 1 yogurt.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:43 AM   #9  

I take ff yogurt to work for my snacks ... I sprinkle some sf jello mix in and it tastes pretty good. But lately, I've been drinking a 'shake' I got from the P1 breakfast recipes ...

Chocolate Milkshake
All Phases. One serving. Recipe by Kathy Sill.

1/2 cup part-skim or low fat ricotta cheese
1/2 to 2/3 cup skim milk
2 teaspoons cocoa powder
3 packets Splenda
1/2 teaspoon caffeine-free instant coffee
Splash of vanilla (1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon, to taste)
Ice (as much as it takes to make a nice thick icy shake)

Put all ingredients in a blender, and blend until thoroughly mixed.

From Tracy:
This was today's breakfast, absolutely satisfying.. thick and smooth YUM!

I used Dutch Processed Cocoa powder for this..
I also added 1 scoop of protien powder for extra nutritional benefit.
I ended up using the 2/3 Cup Skim Milk

Only I used LF cottage cheese instead of ricotta and no vanilla or coffee - oh, and 1% milk because I can't drink skim(ick) ... it's great and very filling.

You get your dairy this way - which is good for the calcium benefits!
Old 06-04-2005, 11:47 AM   #10  
Come on Spring!

Nummy! I have lots of ricotta on hand and this looks like a good quick and nutritious meal for busy days.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:45 PM   #11  

The milk sugar in plain FF yogurt is not a problem, but if you shop around you can find brands that have even less natural sugar, and taste much better, than supermarket brands like Dannon or Columbo. The best plain FF yogurt in the world, IMO, is Fage brand Total 0%. They sell it at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. It only has 6g sugar (naturally occurring, not added) per 80-cal, 5oz serving, along with 13g protein. It also tastes woooooonderful, incredibly thick and rich. Dannon plain FF tastes sour and thin to me compared to it. (If you're up for a treat, you can try the Total 2%, which tastes like heavy cream, at 130 cals.) Another great yogurt is Liberte brand, also sold at Whole Foods, which is a thinner consistency than Total but still very mild and sweet-tasting. I eat Total and Liberte with ground flaxseeds or chopped walnuts, but they don't need any Splenda to taste great.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:52 PM   #12  

Oh PS--while on favorite brands--I also love Friendship brand cottage cheese, which has less natural sugar than other brands of cottage cheese (like Breakstone's, etc), and tastes richer and sweeter to me. Friendship you can get at the regular supermarket. Calabro brand fat-free ricotta, only at Whole Foods, somehow has half the calories in a 1/4-cup serving than fat-free Dragone or Sargento (Calabro has 30, others have 60) and manages to taste much better than either fat-free or part-skim versions of other brands.

I am a dairy FIEND, and I'm always looking for ways to NOT add artifical sweetener to my food, so I've spent a lot of energy searching out the brands that taste best plain.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:37 PM   #13  

I like adding the SF Davinci or Torani syrups to my plain yogurt, w/ a dash of spenda for extra sweetness.
Closed Thread