General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2001, 06:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Smile Doin' it the old fashioned way!

Hello everyone!
I am pretty new to this sight, but not to diet and nutrition. I have always had to watch my weight, even as an active high school student, I was always a few pounds heavier than the most popular girls. I have tried low carb, no carb, chitosol/zenical, metabolife, chromium picolinate, liquid fast diets, juice fasts, anything promising a quick fix-LADIES,THEY DON'T WORK!!!!!!!
The most important thing we need to remember is that the fat did not just appear on our bodies in a few weeks, so it is insane to beleive that we can get it off that quickly!
Like most fatties, I have to keep excersizing to keep my metabolism stimulated, for dieting alone and staying sedentary causes my body to conserve energy and hang on to the fat! Even if you can lose weight with diet alone, you will eventually just be a "skinny fat", or someone who is small in size, but with jiggly behind and arms, and lack of muscle tone! I cannot stress the importance of exercise! Starting out with 30 min. of aerobic exercise everyday is a great start!
Also, totally cutting out certain foods is asking for failure! I eat a moderate diet of about 1500 calories a day-I try to eat a variety with lots of veggies and fruit, but every week I include a couple treats like a few Hershey kisses or 2 slices of veggie pizza on Friday nights! I f you totally cut out something you love you will become obsessed with things you cannot have!
Living this way has kept me at a decent weight all the time, as well as helping me lose 50 lbs. of baby weight from my first child, Jasmine, and is now helping me lose the weight I gained from my new baby boy, Raiden! ( I have lost 5 so far!)
Also, last but not least, like yourself thin or fat! Do not deny yourself pretty things or a new blouse because you are not at your goal. I use a reward system to motivate myself: for each 3 lbs. I lose, I give myself a small reward like a new nail polish, a couple tanning bed visits, a haircut, ect. This really helps you to feel good about yourself while you are going down!
I hope what I have had to say motivates someone out there!
Love,
Aphil
Old 07-21-2001, 07:27 PM   #2  

Dear Aphil,

What a great post! I related to so many things you said and I, too, just have taken the same approach as you - good old calorie counting and exercise. Don't get me wrong, I think different plans work, like low-carbing, etc. but I think in order for a plan to be successful for you, you have to be able to stay on it for a considerable length of time and I just couldn't do that with low-carbing.

Please post here often and tell how you're doing! \

Jennifer
228/226/150
Old 07-23-2001, 11:16 AM   #3  

Hi Aphil!

I agree with you 100% The only time I have ever lost a decent amount of weight has been with counting calories and exercising. Actually, even making some changes like not drinking anything with calories and buying the lower calorie/fat version of whatever groceries I'm getting coupled with exercise even works for me, though slower than actually counting.

I've tried low carb, slimfast, metabolife (ack, never again!), the cabbage soup thing..you name it. Low carb makes SO much sense to me, I wish I could do it. Bottom line is though, I can't. I am just like you. Tell me I can't have it, and it's all I think about. Heck, I couldn't do a high CARB diet. I'd obsess over steak! I have a lot more success eating whatever I want but knowing I have a 1400 calorie limit. It's been two weeks since I've had fast food because I just haven't wanted it enough to waste an entire day's calories on it.

Last summer I dropped around 25 lbs using dietwatch and tae bo. Of course, I started living "the good life" again and gained it all back. I've been back on the wagon for three weeks now and have lost 7 lbs. The first two weeks had a bunch of special occassions and I used those for excuses to eat crappy. Even so, I managed a 1 and a 1.5 lb loss because of exercise and water. This last week though, I pulled it all together and dropped 4.5 lbs! I even had a couple of not so good days there and my calorie average was around 1700 (taking an average from all 7 days).

As my biology teacher said last semester: There is only one scientifically proven way to lose weight. take in less than you burn up. Period. He's planning his one page award winning, millionaire making diet book any day now <g> Problem is, it won't sell well because there's no gimmick and you won't loose 10 lbs in a week.

Deana
29 years old/5'7 tall
189/182/139 Started 6-30-01
Old 07-23-2001, 12:28 PM   #4  

Hello everyone!
DeanaM-great job! 7 lbs. in 3 weeks! It is so good to hear from you! You said you haven't had fast food in a while, but if you like it, here are a few suggestions that are lower in calories:KFC Honey BBQ sandwich at 310 calories,6 fat grams, and 2 fiber grams;1 slice Pizza Hut hand tossed veggie lover's pizza at 220 calories,8 fat grams, and 2 fiber grams;Burger King chicken tender sandwich w/o mayo at 290 calories,10 fat grams, and1 fiber grams; and my favorite, Taco Bell's chicken Soft Taco at 190 calories,7 fat grams, and 2 fiber grams!Enjoy!
If you like to cook, I have also started a thread in the food category of some lightened up recipes, hope you like them!
Keep in touch and post often, I love to hear how everyone is doing! And if you have any topics you would like to discuss, type away!
Good Luck to all!
Aphil
195/190/140
Old 07-23-2001, 02:19 PM   #5  

Hey, we have pretty close to exactly the same goal weight! Someone on another thread mentioned she changed her goal weight to 139 because it just sounded better than 140, and I thought that was pretty nifty and I did the same

I didn't realize some of those chicken sandwiches were so doable calorie wise! I might end up trying that. Problem is, when I want fast food, I want a bacon cheeseburger with mayonaise!

At least I can eat tuna sandwiches again since I discovered how much I like kraft fat free mayo

I bartend at night, and we have a happy hour buffet. Ack. That's my worst downfall. I've found that if I modify just a little (one piece of bread instead of two, bring my own mayo, bring a sandwich if there's just no way) I do a lot better. My first week of this, I pretty much blew it every night but I am now getting a grip on it.

My saving grace items: frozen juice bars and fudgesicles (35 and 70 calories respectively) and the vegetable only soup I make in huge batches and freeze in individual portions. The soup is easy. Put together all the vegies you like (except potatoes..I do use a little bit of corn, but not much) in some water and add beef bullion. Presto..works out to around 45 calories for a cup and is packed with vitamins.

Gotta run, but just wanted to pop in and say hello!

Deana
Old 07-23-2001, 02:38 PM   #6  

Hello everyone,

Aphil, you are exactly right on! This is the only way to lose the weight and keep it off. All of those other quickie diets work for about as long as anyone can stand them and then the weight comes right back on. Most of them are not realistic at all. I still don't understand why knowing this, people continue to try and do it the "easy" way. In the long run, it never works.

Over the last year and a half, I've lost 60 pounds eating sensibly, counting calories, and exercising. It's been a long, hard, haul, but I'll tell you right now... It's NEVER coming back! I've worked too hard!

I have also discussed the no-carb diet with my doctor and he gave me the bottom line. He said that the complex carbohydrates, and the veggies and fruits are what will protect us from disease... cancer, heart disease, etc. So, all of these no-carbers may be losing weight, but they're not doing themselves any favors in the long run!

I follow a diet high in fiber and low in fat. I keep my calories under 1200 (because I'm only 5' 1") and I exercise everyday! And I'm 60 pounds lighter because of it!

Good luck to all of you!
Lisa
Old 07-23-2001, 03:49 PM   #7  

Hi Chickies!
Devoted/Lisa-way to go on the 60 lb. loss! I bet you just feel wonderful! It was so good to hear from you! Your doctor is absolutely right! It is important to have carbohydrates-I see no reason at all to limit any fruits or vegatables, even higher carb ones like bananas! All fruits and veggies have natural disease preventers, and help the skin look nice! Also grains are important for fiber! When people have carb addictions and go on a low carb diet to lose their cravings and get thinner, part of the problem is not the carb grams, but the kind of carbs they are eating! Extremely overprocessed ones like kiddy cereals and donuts are going to give you a sugar rush and make you hungrier an hour later! If they ate cereals like bran flakes, Grape-Nuts, and whole wheat breads they wouldn't have that problem as much! Refined sugar does the same thing! So by cutting out most carbs, they are pulling out all of their teeth because of one cavity! Your post was wonderful, but the only thing I was concerned with was your calorie intake. You said you stay under 1200 calories-how much under? If you are active and exercising, you should be eating at least that much. Try keeping them between 1200-1300 for a while and see how that feels to you, and be sure to be taking a multi-vitamin daily that has calcium and iron.
Deana, it was great to hear you again,too! I , too am a lover of the diet fudgsicles! Try the Dairy Queen sugar free fat free bars if you have one near you. THey have fudge, orange creamsicle, and rasberry creamsicle-only 60 calories! And I also have 2 threads in the food section -one of recipes, and the other of my taste testing of diet products, which I am adding to regularly!
Well, I will post again soon!
Aphil (Amy)
ps-I have attached a pic of my new son-well worth the weight gained!
Old 07-23-2001, 03:52 PM   #8  

It wouldn't let me attach the picture-too big! I'll find a smaller one later!
Aphil
Old 07-23-2001, 04:02 PM   #9  

Aphil---i was just wondering how much exercise you do each day?

Saggy
Old 07-23-2001, 04:27 PM   #10  

Wellllll..I have to disagree a bit on the low carb thing. Many doctors believe it's the food pyramid or nothing, but there are more and more all the time that are seeing that the low carb way of doing things can actually be quite helpful. I've read Atkins and Eades cover to cover, and Eades especially has some very valid medical info to back up their claims. I also personally know people who CAN follow that way of eating, and have had amazing changes for the better in their health, validated by their bloodwork and physical syptoms.

Thing is, a lot of people think low carb is NO carb, and that's not entirely true either. Further along in the plan, some complex carbs are allowed, and the Eades plan allows you to deduct fiber grams from total carbs.

I *have* noticed though that many low carbers I know are ALSO watching their portions and calories. Back again to intake vs output. I just think there are some really valid health things going on with low carb.

Of course, the bottom line is what works for you. Low carb does not work for me because I simply cannot stick with it for any amount of time. For me, it's gotta be calorie counting. WW points are really exactly the same thing, just a different way of keeping track.

Aphil, I just buy the regular store brand fudgesicles. $1.75 a dozen at Walmart and they're 70 calories. Most of the frozen juice pop things are only 35!

I agree with you about cutting calories too low. Going to low can slow your metabolism, then heaven help you if you fall off the wagon. The weight will come back with company. 1500 calories is my high end, and I try to not go below 1300. I'm fairly active, exercising at least 30 minutes to an hour a day as well. I generally find that if I only eat 1300 I am *starving*.

The heavier you are, the more calories you need as well.

Heck, last week my average calories over 7 days was 1700 (thanks to falling prey to the Chinese buffet) and I still lost 4.5 this week. Exercise will make ya or break ya

Deana
Old 07-23-2001, 04:58 PM   #11  

Hey Aphil,

No, let me clarify... I eat between 1100-1200 calories everyday. As I said, I'm short and I eat little meals all day long so I'm never hungry. Now that I'm down near my goal weight (I weigh 124), I find that I only lose 1 pound a MONTH. I started out losing 2 pounds a week faithfully... never any more than that. So, I'm doing what's right for my body. I know what you mean though... there is this girl at work who is on this new crash diet and I'd say barely eats 500 calories a day! She's also working out like a fiend. I told her that it won't last, but she's determined, so what can you do...

I agree with you on the sugar stuff. I eat a bowl of Kashi cereal or Raisin Bran with a slice of Bran toast in the mornings. I usually have a mid-morning snack like pretzel's or something and then for lunch I have whole wheat pasta and veggies or something similar. I have some type of fruit in the afternoon or yogurt and then usually a salad for dinner. Portion control is the key for me. Of course, some days I want more... some less. I just follow my body's signs. I also take a multi-vitamin everyday and keep up with my calcium. The main thing I did was cut out the fast food. I used to eat way too much of it!

One thing I do allow myself is a cheat day on Saturdays. Whatever I want... in moderation ofcourse! It keeps me on track the rest of the week and gives me something to look forward to.

Keep trying with the picture of your new baby. I'd love to see him!

Talk to ya later!
Lisa
Old 07-23-2001, 07:19 PM   #12  

Hi everyone!
Lisa, I am glad to hear from you again! I am not glad to hear about your friend's diet, however. Does she have a computer? I f she does, have her check out the sight.
You said you were starting to lose very slowly now,it's good that your goal weight is close to this, because your body is trying to let you know it can't get much smaller.Congrats on choosing a goal weight that your body doesn't feel is unrealistic!
Deana, thanks for the info on the fudge bars!mmmmmm
Saggy, my exercise plan is 6 days a week-Sundays off. On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I do a full body toning plan. I do shoulders,chest,back,bicep,and tricep weighted routines put together by my stepfather-ex-bodybuilder-and a lower body toning workout that includes calf raises and lots of squats for the booty! On Tues.,Wed.,and Thurs. I do 30 min. of aerobic activity, usually walking or stationary bike, and abdominals. If you are unfamiliar with toning exercise, it is important to leave a rest day inbetween workouts for the muscles to heal. Abdominals are the only part that can be worked every day withoutmuscle damage. Aerobic activity can be done everyday.
Well, my son is fussing-talk at ya later!
Aphil
Old 07-23-2001, 10:29 PM   #13  

aphill;I lost 30lbs. using the method in this post. I eat a balanced diet of about 1600 calories a day. I excercise and drink plenty of water. As mentioned here those FAD diets do not work. Great post!!!
Old 07-24-2001, 05:30 PM   #14  

has anyone heard of the false fat diet? Can notf ind the entire book. The diet sounds pretty normal, but I can not find out if you can have diet caf free soda Anyone know?
Old 07-26-2001, 04:04 PM   #15  

Talking I Found People Just Like ME!! WOW!!!

Hi all!

I have been lurking and have done some posting on Low carb support. I know I need to lose weight but just can't commit to anything yet. I have tryed every diet in the book and some more then once. I did the Atkins for about a day and 1/2 and thought I would go out of my ever loving mind!! It was making me crazy!!
But.... lately here I am lurking again at that sight. I know I can't stick to that!!

Then.......my dear sister told me to forget all those diets!! She challenged me to a real easy plan. For one month, just start drinking lots of water and walk once a day. THAT'S IT. She bet that I would see some change it just that. So tomorrow it has been one week. I walked 5 of the 6 days so far.

I think I will start soon to try to add to this plan. (something little) I eat fast food everyday at noon. Maybe I can cut this down to 2 times a week and brown bag it the rest of the week. I don't know but my wheels just keep on turning.

It seems the more I drewl on food and what I can or can not have the more I eat!! The tighter my cloths get, the more I think about dieting and then the more I eat. Am I nuts or what?

So (before I put you all to sleep), I will stick to my sister's advice, take baby steps and do the water and walking for now.

207/207/145

Thanks for listening,

Jill
Closed Thread