Old 05-30-2005, 07:32 PM   #1  
Trying or Dying

S/C/G: 327/258/180

Default Battle of the Bulge- New Beginnings

Hi everyone!!
I thought I would make an attempt to get a board back together.
So if you were on Battle of the Bulge before- would love to have you back.
If you are looking for a group to join- join me and we can try to lend support to one another.

I am interested in getting a group together to lend support, give tips and tricks, talk about life, and generally cheer each other on.
I have had my problems in the past but I am ready to get off the floor, dust myself off, and change the way I live. I want to be healthy again and I want to be able to do all the things I can't do at my current weight.
I have recently graduated and moved to a brand new town and I am ready to start a new chapter of my life and I am so relieved I will have more time now to dedicate to it.

Anyway-
Hope to see some action on the board- I miss talking to everyone and getting different perspectives on life.

Until later-
Crime girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 12:59 PM   #2  
Trying or Dying

Default Day 2...

Hi again everyone-
I am currently working on day two and things are going pretty well..
My plan is NO:
potato
pasta
rice
refined sugar
and I am trying to exercise 4 times a week..
Hoping to stay on track and try to lose 2 pounds a week
More later
Old 05-31-2005, 03:42 PM   #3  
shannon

Hi, Crime Girl. Glad you are back. The thread died while you were away. Red, myself, and a few others tried to keep it going, but for some reason we were unsuccessful. Maybe with you back it will pick back up and keep going.

Glad to see you graduated. Did you find a new job? Are you still with your bf?

Hope to hear from ya soon.

Toots
shanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 366/359/175

Height: 5'8"

Hi...I've been sorta reluctant to join other ongoing threads because it feels like coming in on a party that's already started which you weren't invited to. However, since this one is starting new I'll join in.

Today I am on track with water. 92oz so far. Food has been ok, although with less fruits and veggies than I would like. May see about making some sort of light veggie dinner. Don't have many veggies available. Spinach, Sweet potatos, onions, tomatos (which need to get eating tonight or spoil) squash, and cauliflower. Any suggestions on a meal I can make with that?
Solus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 04:18 PM   #5  
Trying or Dying

Hi shanberg!!! Glad to see a familiar face.
Welcome solus!! Also glad to have a new one..

Sorry about the board Shan.. thanks for trying to keep it alive.
I have graduated and moved to Nashville but I am unemployed - living with my brother and his fiance and the boyfriend. Little rocky right now and originally I was going to wait to start getting my life together for after I got a job but that is frankly just another excuse not to do it,right?
How are you doing?? How is the bf?? How is work?

Solus- Welcome! Glad you decided to join us- I am hoping we pick up a couple more but for better or worse I am going to make a commitment to stay on here no matter what happens. I missed the support!
As for the eating dilemma tonight- I like veggie stir fry..a little soy sauce and stir fried over rice. If not- maybe try grilling the veggies on your grill (if you have one)..you would just need to brush them with olive oil and put them on and they are yummy!
Great job with the water!! What are you doing for exercise?
I just started walking and it is going pretty well so far. Any exercise is hard for me because I am so far our of shape but I guess we all start with baby steps, right??

Anyway- need to ger back to the job search...
More later..
Old 05-31-2005, 08:29 PM   #6  

I was walking, but it's raining today so no walk for me. I wouldn't mind walking in the rain but my dog would, and I hate walking alone. I could do a video, but I really don't have the energy for that. I work a full day, come home and take care of the pets, cook dinner for myself, cook dinner for my fiancee if my dinner is something he won't eat, pack it in the fridge properly so he can find it when he gets home, pack us both a lunch for the next day, then clean up the kitchen. After all that the most I feel like doing is a nice walk. It gets my heart rate up and gets me out of the house for a while...but alas, today there is rain.

I ended up making a veggie soup that was rather nice. I just threw all the available veggies in the blender with some fresh herbs from the garden and some LF cottage cheese and LF yogert and made me a soup. However, since I know my fiancee won't eat it I'm stuck trying to figure out what to make HIM.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:45 PM   #7  
Trying or Dying

Solus-
Great idea with the soup! I bet that was really good for you. Sorry the rain spoiled your walk but there is always tomorrow- even if it is just a short stroll- try to go if you can. I need to heed my own advice so I know how it is though.
You have made some great progress so far. What plan are you following? how much exercise? etc? You should really proud of the 16 pounds you have taken off so far! You can do it! You have a really great start!

Okay- well wanted to respond to your posting. Keep up the great work! I am cheering for you!

I will talk to you tomorrow-
Old 06-01-2005, 02:03 PM   #8  
Trying or Dying

Hi everyone!
Just bumping the board up and letting you all know-
I FINALLY have an interview this afternoon.
HOORAY!

Today has gone pretty well with eating and I plan to walk tonight when I get home so I should still be on track.
How are you all doing?
Old 06-01-2005, 02:26 PM   #9  

I am not really following a plan. I woke up one day, got on the scale, realized that I was 7lbs away from weighing 400lbs and said "I have to change my life, NOW"

I gave up soda cold turkey that day. Went from drinking a 12pack or more a day to nothing. I haven't started counting calories. I try to keep my (main) meals at 8-10g of fat or less. I traded 95% of my refined carb foods for whole wheat, multi-grain versions. Long grain wild rice instead of white, whole grain bread instead of white, that sort of thing. I went from eating zero fruits and veggies (except potatos) to making them equal 40-60% of my daily food intake. I also try to eat at least one fruit and veggie whole and uncooked a day for maximum nutrient advantage, although I usually eat more. I also try to get dairy and protein in at least 2 of my meals daily although I try to limit the fat on those...

Basically my plan is, I want to be healthy. My primary goal isn't losing weight. I want to be healthy, and I have to lose weight for that to be possible.

Anyway, this whole "journey" started Friday of last week so it's only been 12 days. However I feel satisfied with my foods and I don't feel deprived. This is the longest I've gone EVER without spiraling out of control and binging on a huge fat-laden meal. I feel better and I am sleeping better so I think that I will be able to stick with it. Also, I've already faced THREE major challenges which would have normally sent me running for food to "fix" my sorrows and not broken down. (I've had some slips, but not complete bust-ups)

I've only seriously tried to lose weight once before in my life, and that was a year ago. I ate nothing but frozen diet meals and pre-packaged diet snacks. I was hungry all the time and miserable. It only lasted 30 days, and even then I couldn't go 5 days without at least ONE day of fat-bonanza. Now I eat as much as I need to feel full and that's good.

Anyway, I know that my quick weight loss here at the first is due to water-weight loss and that it will slow down and I will probably have to be more careful with calories. I keep a diary of what I eat and how much I weigh each day so I can know when that happens and can modify my diet accordingly.

Can a person really wake up one day, decide to completely change their life and succeed? I'm not sure, but I suppose time will tell.

Last year when I tried to lose I got within 2 pounds of reaching 340. I knew if I ever got that low I could do the rest. That's my mini-goal now. If I can get to 340 I know I can beat the weight.

Anyway, sorry for the long ramble...

wish me luck!
Old 06-01-2005, 03:25 PM   #10  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Smile Great to see you!!!!!

Crime girl, shanberg, great to see you again. I really missed the old thread. solus, HI!!!! I just saw you had started a new thread, CG. I didn't know if you had, forgot about it and luckily, was just looking at the support group board and saw the new thread! Hope it keeps going. Gotta run now but will try to post later. Good luck!

Last edited by redballoon; 06-01-2005 at 03:35 PM.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:12 PM   #11  
shannon

Hi, all. Sorry I haven't been back or posting a lot. I am training for a new part of my job and it takes a little time, since it is new and all. My eating and exercising has hit the bottom and I gained back 5 lbs. I am back on it, though.

CG - Good Luck with the interview!

Solus - Glad to see you have such a great mind-set. I am going with the "not on a diet, just eating healthy" thoughts, too. If I tell myself I am on a diet, I tend to sabotage myself!

Red - Glad you found us again. I was just lurking and saw where CG had started a new thread and decided to start back with the posting. How are the cats???

Gotta go. Having phone line problems and the Bell South person is here!

Toots!!
Old 06-01-2005, 05:36 PM   #12  
Trying or Dying

Default So Happy...

I am thrilled that we are starting to get postings...

Anywho- Just back from my interview and I am praying they do not try to hire me. The woman who interviewed me would have been my boss and she talks to her employees like they are lower than scum. EEK!

Solus- your plan sounds really great! I think you can wake up one morning and decide enough is enough. I think it is brave of you to face it head on and it looks like you are having some wonderful success. Good for you!!
I think I may try the same thing because everytime I say I am going to diet my body goes into this OH no we are being deglected! period and I start medicating with food. I am definitely an emotional eater- think maybe just try to substitute healthy food for reward rather than bad foods. Hmmm..

Shanberg- glad to see you! Post when you can- glad to have you back. Did you take on more responsibility at work??

Red- Hooray! Was wondering if I could get you to come back. Glad to see you are still fighting the good fight..how is life treating you?

Well- need to go- will get on tonight and check for posts and maybe post some more just to drive everyone insane.
For now-
Old 06-02-2005, 10:54 AM   #13  
shannon

Hi, CG.

Yes, one of the ladies that has been here for many years is retiring. She really doesn't do all that much, so they just spread out what little she does between several of us. I now do invoicing and accounts payable. It isn't hard, it is just very, very time-consuming. I have very little free time now a days. I think it will get easier when I finally learn all the ins and outs, but right now I am sorta just winging it. Plus, she is training two other people besides me in other areas, so we are all vying for her time. It is just kinda hectic and stressful...hence my weight gain. My plan is to make it through this week without driving myself crazy over what i eat. I am trying to eat well, but i am not pushing myself.

Anyway, that is my update. Sorry the interview did not go well. If they offer, tell them you are mulling over several and will let them know. Then, in a day or so, call them back and tell them you are going with someone else. Maybe by then you will have more interviews and a better choice.

Gotta go...end of the month and it is twice as bad now!!!!

Toots!
Old 06-02-2005, 12:30 PM   #14  
Trying or Dying

Shanberg,

Hang in there! More work is definitely not a plus, right? I think you are right though- in time you will learn it as well as the other things you do and it will get easier. I think you have a sound plan- just try to do no harm until you can adjust then you can back on track. Everything in its time.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:36 PM   #15  
Bye bye baby weight!!

S/C/G: 242/233/150

Height: 5'5"

Just thought I would post here and say hi since this thread is new (well...new again). I started my "new lifestyle" on April 27th and so far I am doing really well . I exercise 7 days a week and am eating ALOT of healthy food. It is awesome that I am not on a diet because I can't stand restricting what I can and can't eat. I eat whatever I want...just in moderation. Last night my husband came home with a big bag of Doritos ( I LOVE them) and I only ate one!!! The weird thing was, all I needed was a taste and I was fine I am surprising myself llike this all of the time. It only gets easier and easier as the days go by. I also love to exercise more and more everyday. What is happening to me? Anyway, nice to meet you all and I hope I can join you all in the battle against our bulges
leannealise is offline   Reply With Quote