Old 06-01-2005, 12:55 PM   #1  
Short and Round

Default Bowling?

I was just wondering if bowling is considered exercise? I just started working out in a gym.. (so far 3 nights a week) It will be bumped to 4 nights a week in 2 weeks. But I bowl 2 nights a week.. is that considered any time of exercise? (league bowling)

Amanda
ajwings2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:01 PM   #2  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

mmmm not sure really i wouldn't have thought so because you are up for a bit have your shot then you are kinda stationary again for a bit so you never really get the heart rate up. although if you are sipping water and not snacking while playing then its better than watching tv on the couch
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:10 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 8.5"

Check out this activity calculator on web md. http://my.webmd.com/hw/weight_contro...ealthTools.asp

According to it, bowling is a form of exercise. I've checked out alot of these calculators but this is the one I tend to trust the most. I also use fitday but the calculator in it uses an average weight for a person of 150 pounds. When you weigh more, you burn more since it takes more energy to move more weight. I like this one much better since it takes your weight into account. Hope that link works! When you get to the page, click on the "activity calorie calculator".
djstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:24 PM   #4  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

u learn something new everyday! unfortunatly bowling is so damn expensvie here its not an option for me lol its cheaper to have 9 holes at the golf course
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:47 PM   #5  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Any movement is better than none so I guess it would qualify under that. I have to agree with Si though. I don't think I would count it as a cardio workout.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 02:09 PM   #6  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I would count bowling as "lifestyle exercise" -- in the same category as parking far out, walking an extra block or two from your bus/train stop, taking the stairs one flight instead of the elevator/escalator, gardening, and housecleaning. It may not be aerobic because you're not keeping your heartrate up for a prolonged period of time. But you are moving your body through space, and that's the point. Anything that gets you moving more is better for you. And anything that you enjoy doing is something that will keep you moving.

Small lifestyle changes, applied consistently to become habit, are the secret to long-term weight loss and maintenance.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:28 PM   #7  
Short and Round

I wasn't saying it was my only activity.. lol I was just wondering if that is enough activity for the "break" days.. I am at the gym m/t/th/f and play hockey on saturday.. and bowl wed/sun.. I dont have enough hours in the day to do anything else on wednesday.

Thanks for the info.. that calculator.. told me bowling would be 800 calories.. which cracks me up.. I would hate to see what it would say for 2 hours of ice hockey.

Thanks everyone!

Amanda
ajwings2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:14 PM   #8  
missaprylj

Well, in THAT case! I'd say it's enough for those light days... maybe you could do stretching on those days as well or something? Good luck.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:41 PM   #9  

Height: 5' 8.5"

800 does sound like alot but it's probably calculating 2 continuous hours of bowling. I know when we go bowling, if we have a big group, I don't feel like I get much exercise at all. However, when it's just one or two people I definitely feel the workout since I don't have to sit around for long to wait for my turn. As far aerobic exercise, it's probably not much help there but you know you used those muscles when you've bowled a couple of games. That's a good feeling!
djstorey is offline   Reply With Quote