Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-31-2005, 01:02 PM   #1  

Default Trying to jog - helllllllp

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone here can give me some advice, guidance, support - anything that's going really to help me with my jogging!

I started 4 weeks ago, and don't feel I've progressed at all. Before I started, I did very little exercise, apart from a reasonable amount of walking and so it's been really tough from day 1. I'm doing a combination of jogging and walking (out of necessity) for 10 mins first thing in the morning (not on a treadmill) and whilst I've noticed I'm not getting as out of breath as much as I was, it's still really hard work, and I have to walk for bits of it as my body just won't let me carry on.

This morning I felt like throwing in the towel, it really got me down, that I just don't seem to be progressing. Am I expecting too much or is there something I could be doing to help?

Would love to hear any advice going, I'm determined to carry on, it's got to get a bit easier - sometime soon would be good

thanks
MadamDotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 01:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

First, good for you for taking up running! You've only been at it 4 weeks for 10 minutes at a time, so it will take time to see improvements. I started running last summer using the couch to 5k program from coolrunning.com. Why don't you try looking at that to get some ideas on how to progres. Maybe an easier idea is to start with running 1 minute, walking one minute, repeat until you've been moving the length of time you want to. Then, each week, increase the running component by one minute, until you're running 10 minutes straight. You probably wouldn't need to start with 1:1, so you could start where you think your able. Oh, and join us in the cool runners thread!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 04:56 PM   #3  

Thanks Only Me, just had a look at the website, and it's given me something to think about. I think I'll still carry on with the 10 mins in the morning as that works for me to fit it in with my day, I just don't think I'd get around to it any later in the day! But I'll try the timing, probably 1:1 to start off, at least that way I can see how I'm doing and if and when at I improve, at the moment it's so hard to see an improvement, my hubby says we're going at a faster pace, but when you can't see the improvement it's de-motivating, the timing should help with that.

thanks again, let you know how I get on - the forum looked good too

Take care
x
Old 05-31-2005, 05:37 PM   #4  
~ Natalie ~

Hi Dotty ~

You sound a lot like me. I have been walking for about 8 months and just graduated to jogging/running in early May. I remember how difficult it was to finish 10 minutes. It was soooo hard and yes....I found myself wanting to throw in the towel so to speak, but I fought it and so can you. Here is what I did: Each time I went out I added a minute or two to my time and I recently have built up to 30 minutes. Don't worry.....You are doing just fine. Baby steps sweetie....baby steps.

p.s. I just joined the cool runners group too. Hope to see you there!

~ Natalie
WalkingGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:22 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Hey Dotty Welcome to running!! Take your time, don't give up... Running 10 minutes straight the first time is really really tough. It's only been 4 weeks and already you say you aren't as out of breath as before, just that is a positive sign...

Yes, please join us at the Cool Runners thread ... TTFN...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Dotty, the first time I started running, I took a class in college for it and got an F. I couldn't run 5 minutes and got ticked off and quit. Now I love it. Hang in there. Your stamina is improving if its getting easier. Just don't sell yourself short, you are progressing.

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:47 AM   #7  

Like the others have said, take your time, Dotty. I started running in Feb with 1:1 for 15 minutes. I am now up to 4:1 and ran 1 hour and twenty minutes last week. Let go of the times and enjoy the runs! The rest will follow. You may also want to check out Jeff Galloway's page or books for some ideas or look for a local running club that loves newbies. I joined a local club that meets Sat mornings and I am having a blast with them!
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:16 AM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

It's only normal. The first time I tried running, I decided that I can't run and probably never will. So I chose walking instead. But being stubborn (I'm a Taurus of course), I decided it was do or die. So I kept trying to run. I'd get about 10 or 15 feet on a good day before I was huffing and puffing. With advice from runners at work and just plain ole keeping at it, I learned to slow it way down to a light jog...even though I didn't think I was going very fast in the first place. And I did intervals of running/walking. Eventually, I noticed my running intervals increasing in distance. Now, instead of making it from this tree to that tree, I made it from this tree to that one then the next one and all the way to the bend in the road! After awhile, I increased my entire distance and continued running/walking and so on until I was running 3 straight miles. Then I concentrated on building my speed. I stayed on that 3 miles and tried timing it and getting faster. Then after a conversation here, I slow down again to 15 minute miles and managed to run 5 miles non-stop.

It's a process that takes time. And like someone said, if you're not getting out of breath the way you were, then you actually are making progress you can see, even if it doesn't feel like it.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Check and see if you have a local running club in your area. Mine has a begining women's running class each spring. We divide up according to our abilities. Then we run in a group with other women, it's fun and motivating. We started out running 10 minutes at a time-run 1 min/walk 1 min then we slowly added time and running minutes, 15 minutes-run 2 min walk 1 min. ect. We are up to running 30 minutes now without stopping, yeah! yes we are slow as honey in winter but hey, we do it.

Good luck
Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:36 PM   #10  

Thanks guys for all your words of encouragement & support.

Went out this morning and tried 90 seconds of running and then 90 seconds of walking, and it was hard but I did it and we went a little bit further than we were going before (I'm only talking about another minute or two) but it was an improvement.

Just knowing that it's not just me who feels "I can't jog" is a big help, I will keep at it as I'm determined to crack it as I also feel it's the way forward for me to lose weight without a starvation diet. My sister has inspired me as she has lost 5 stone (70 lbs to you lot ) and she has a really good attitude to food, eats healthily but if she feels like having a treat, she has one. She's kept the weight off for over 18 months having been overweight all her life and was always the (much) bigger of the two of us - not much difference between us nowadays yet I was always the skinny kid! So I'm eating healthily, most of the time (she says as she wipes away the crumbs from blue cheese on a cracker snack - oops) and upping my exercise, and feel that jogging should really get things moving - in a downward direction hopefully.

thanks all - speak soon
x
Old 06-03-2005, 10:40 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

Hey, I definatley feel you on the running. I always try and do it but its like tourture. but it does get easier. ussually by the end of summer I am OK with it(then in the winter I do the indoor stuff like the ellyptical or bike I hate the treadmill). I really want to get to my goal and be able to jog easily. People always laugh when I say I jog, they'll say where do you jog with those hips so it really pushes me to want to be able to jog a lot.

anyway, off topic, I alwyas wondered what is a stone? is it only used in england for weight? is it part of metrics? just an ignorant american wondering.
jennie934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:15 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennie934
People always laugh when I say I jog, they'll say where do you jog with those hips so it really pushes me to want to be able to jog a lot.
Let them have the last laugh and keep jogging. That's very rude if they say that about your hips!! IMHO
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 05:31 PM   #13  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Default Mrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennie934
People always laugh when I say I jog, they'll say where do you jog with those hips...
Knowing my mouth, I'd no doubt respond with "Well why do you bother opening your mouth with those lips"
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote