care at the time that I was destroying my body, I just knew that I
weighed 120 pounds, and I felt sexy. Well, eventually I tried doing
the drugs and living a normal lifestyle again, but it just didn't
work...I couldn't hold a job, I had really bad anxiety problems, and I
only felt happy when I was high. I finally realized I was really
missing out on my life, and decided to quit. So at first I gained
about 20 pounds, which I could live with...140 isn't that bad. But
then I started gaining weight like crazy, and now I am up to 200
pounds. I think I really screwed my metabolism up. I went to the dr.
and got my thyroid checked out, no problems there, but I know I will
never just be at a good weight again without working my butt off to
get there. So I am here for a serious diet/lifestyle overhaul. The
only thing that scares me is that I am NOT a very self motivated
person, and I don't really believe I can do this alone. So I come
here for your support and motivation, and I hope to provide you all
with the same. Sorry this was so long, I just kind of want to get to
know everyone and let you get to know who I am and why I am here
~Much Love
Clare from Houston
breakfastsurreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 07:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Hey Clare!

You've come to the right place to get lots of love and support

You probably havent stuffed up your metabolism for good. I would say that during that period where your didnt eat for days on end your body started to eat your muscles. Its the muscle that acts as your most efficient energy user so yes, without that you would put on weight a little easier and find it a little harder to get rid of. I guess definitly make sure you incorporate some strength/weight training into your exercise regime to build up your lean body mass again. Once that starts happening I found it incredible how much faster I started to lose weight. Well, not so much lose weight as lose inches.

I'm into maintaining now, but I started out just shy of 180 pounds and am now down to around 125 pounds at 5'6. It took a little time...about 10-12 months before I got to a managable level, but I learnt so much about how my body works and how to look after it in that time. I think that was probably the most helpful/important part of my whole weightloss/lifestyle change journey!

Anyway, welcome and good luck!

Livi
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 11:44 PM   #3  
Chubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyria
Hey Clare!

You've come to the right place to get lots of love and support

You probably havent stuffed up your metabolism for good. I would say that during that period where your didnt eat for days on end your body started to eat your muscles. Its the muscle that acts as your most efficient energy user so yes, without that you would put on weight a little easier and find it a little harder to get rid of. I guess definitly make sure you incorporate some strength/weight training into your exercise regime to build up your lean body mass again. Once that starts happening I found it incredible how much faster I started to lose weight. Well, not so much lose weight as lose inches.

I'm into maintaining now, but I started out just shy of 180 pounds and am now down to around 125 pounds at 5'6. It took a little time...about 10-12 months before I got to a managable level, but I learnt so much about how my body works and how to look after it in that time. I think that was probably the most helpful/important part of my whole weightloss/lifestyle change journey!

Anyway, welcome and good luck!

Livi
that's awesome livi! I would love to be 125 pounds...but I'll be the first to admit when I was skinny I looked like walking death, and didn't even feel that skinny...now that I think about it, it WAS because I had no muscle mass at all...and I am naturally a muscular/athletic looking girl...now I can just picture myself being 130 or so and being actually built...instead of loose skin and bones! (ugh) You have no IDEA how out of shape I am...a few years ago i could knock a mile out in 7 mins, and leg press insane amounts of weight...now I get winded walking up the steps...BUT being this out of shape kind of gives me hope in a way...I know getting into shape will be tough, but once I'm there these pounds are going to fly off! I'm excited..I just need to get organized and figure out what kind of diet to do, and go get my fitness club membership...
Old 05-29-2005, 12:20 AM   #4  

Welcome to the 20s board! We love to have newcomers here. Just jump right in and have fun! Weight loss is a journey and everyone has their ups and downs. Just keep trying!
Amber
AmberM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 12:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 260/209/150

Height: 5'6"

Welcome Clare and thanks for sharing your story
Jessie_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 02:22 PM   #6  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi Clare, welcome! I think it's amazing that you have had the strength and courage to quit drugs and start making healthy changes to your lifestyle. You've come to the right place!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 02:59 PM   #7  
Chubbles

yay thanks for the encouragement guys! I posted in the Buddy forum and found a buddy just like me, she seems to have been through almost the exact same situation as me, so hopefully she and I can keep each other accountable...I still haven't started my diet yet (payday is tuesday, I will go to the store tues or wed to buy "healthy foods"). But I am a little clueless as to what kind of foods to buy...I haven't picked out a diet plan yet, and I am a really picky eater so I am kind of afraid to committ to a plan...any other picky eaters out there have anything to suggest? I'm not a huge veggie person, mostly because I am not a good cook...I don't know how to cook anythig unless there is a box with instructions...and I don't like to spend lots of time in the kitchen : / Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated!
Old 05-30-2005, 10:31 PM   #8  

Welcome to the site! It's amazing you've come through so much all ready- that just proves that you ARE a self motivated person. Good luck on the weightloss. We're all here for advice or support whenever you need it!
Ahealthierme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:40 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Welcome to the board! Why not try and create your own plan since you know what kinds of food you will eat? That is what I do--I could never follow those strict diets. I figured out approximately how many calories I should eat each day and break down the meals accordingly. Some people find the points system with WW easier but to each his (or her) own! Small changes in the beginning are really best and will make a huge difference like cutting out all sodas, fried foods, fatty meats and replacing with water, fruit and lean cuts of meat. Good luck, I am sure you can do it!
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 01:23 PM   #10  

I've always been told that you should shop on the outside edges of the market as much as possible. That's where all the fresh stuff is. Good luck and keep posting
Old 05-31-2005, 02:06 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Have you noticed that they have started putting unhealthy items on the perimeter as well? Like chocolate and caramel dips with the fruit department? You've got to watch out because they are figuring out new ways to tempt us everyday.
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 02:46 PM   #12  

I haven't.....how evil and sneaky!