Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 09:50 PM   #1  
missaprylj

Question Pumpkin Soup/Muffin Recipes Wanted

Does anyone have a great lowfat/lowcal recipe using canned pumpkin?
I'd really love a muffin recipe but soup would be cool too.

Old 05-31-2005, 12:00 PM   #2  

Default Pumpkin Soup

Pumpkin soup is very easy!

Stir together equal parts vegetable broth and pumpkin, add 1-2 TBS tomato paste to taste. Cook through, then add red curry powder to taste.

This is filling, scrumptious and 0 points on WW flex plan.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:31 PM   #3  

Hi there
I have a great pumpkin bread recipe that my grandmother gave me before she died. You can also make pumpkin muffins out of it but its just easier for me to make it in loaves because I'm lazy. It's the best pumpkin recipe I have ever had and I often get requests for the recipe when I make it. It's also very easy to make and is incredibly moist. This recipe makes 2 large pumpkin bread loaves but can be halved to make 1 large loaf (or a couple dozen muffins).

Pumpkin bread/muffin recipe:
4 cups flour
3 teaspoons of cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1and 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoons dried ground ginger
½ teaspoons allspice
2 cups canned pumpkin
2 cups of sugar
4 eggs
1 cup milk (I use skim or lowfat but any milk works)
½ cup of oil

*if you'd prefer you can substitute 1/2 cup of applesauce for the oil and you can substitute splenda for the sugar. I prefer it just as is but I have made it for people using the applesauce and splenda before and got good feedback.

first heat oven to 350 and spray 2 bread pans with pam cooking spray . Mix first 7 ingredients in medium sized bowl (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and allspice), then mix remaining ingredients in another big bowl (pumpkin, sugar, eggs, milk, oil) combine dry ingredients with wet ones in the larger bowl and wisk together just until blended. Cook 55-60 minutes.
*When I made muffins from this recipe I cooked them for about 20-25 minutes before taking them out of the oven. The bread/muffins can even be frozen for up to 6 months in tin foil and they still taste delicious.
Try it, believe me this recipe will become a new family favorite!

Best wishes always
Amiee
Old 06-14-2005, 11:39 AM   #4  
missaprylj

Thank you very much, both of you! Amiee, I think I'm going to bake those muffins this afternoon!!!!

Anyone else?

Old 06-14-2005, 02:22 PM   #5  
missaprylj

Aimee--

I took your recipe and edited it a little bit to make it lower in fat, sugar, and therefore calories.

Here's the new recipe

PUMPKIN MUFFINS MAKES 30
4 cups flour
4 teaspoons of cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons dried ground ginger
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups canned pumpkin
.25 cup of brown sugar
12 packets Splenda
1 cup egg beaters
1 cup skim milk
½ cup of sugarfree applesauce

first heat oven to 350 degrees F
spray muffin pans with pam cooking spray.
Mix first 7 ingredients in medium sized bowl (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and allspice)
then mix remaining ingredients in another big bowl (pumpkin, brown sugar, eggs, milk, applesauce)
combine dry ingredients with wet ones in the larger bowl and wisk together just until blended.
Cook 20 minutes (Some need a bit longer.)

This come out to:
79.8 calories
0.23g Fat
(0.03 Saturated)
1.18g Fiber
3.48g Protein
16.55g Carbs

So it is a *very* healthy recipe. Though: a word of caution. The muffins are not very sweet since I eliminated over 1/2 the sugar. If you want them sweeter, you will have to experiment- and up the calories and carbs. :-)

Thanks for the GREAT RECIPE!!!

Closed Thread