Old 05-30-2005, 06:10 PM   #1  
Melissa

Default New here - Don't want to be a lurker

Hi everyone,
I just joined the forums, my husband and I have decided to do something about our weight and will start our plan tomorrow. We are both really heavy and unhealthy and know we have to change.

I have joined web based forums before and just end up being a lurker, I guess it is that fear of even committing over the internet to people you don't know that you are really going to do it this time. I have tried so many times to lose weight before. Like so many others, I would be moderately successful and then gain it all back plus some. But I am committed this time. I now weigh 275lbs, the biggest I have ever been. I am having physical/medical problems including a bulging disc and aching knees and feet. I am miserable and I have to do something.

I am 37, live in central KY, and work for the state govenment. I live with my husband, two cats and a big, hairy dog. My hobbies include beekeeping, middle ages historical re-creation and crafts.

I am really looking forward to coming here to this forum. I have other friends that talk about needing to lose weight but they are talking about 20 or 30 pounds. I think that is a great thing and not an easy thing to do but it is drastically different than wanting/needing to drop 100 or more. I glad there is support here.

Thanks everyone,
Melissa
2mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 08:29 PM   #2  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I know what you mean when you talk to people who have 20-30 lbs to lose. It's like they are living in another world!

Welcome to this group. It is a great bunch to come and share your problems and triumphs with. Everyone is very supportive and helpful.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 09:06 PM   #3  
missaprylj

Yes! Welcome, welcome!

Please join in our June Points challenge. Check out that thread to hear all about it. It's a neat way to be accountable and stay OP.

Also, check out our Weekly Journal Buddy Thread where many of us post what we eat each day. If you're honest, it is extremely helpful in your journey.

Good luck!
Old 05-30-2005, 09:36 PM   #4  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Melissa - I LOOOOVE Lexington, Ky. I'm from Cincy and my boyfriend is from Lexington (we live in San Diego, CA now). Welcome! Glad to have you here!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 02:06 AM   #5  
Crazy Canuck

Welcome Melissa - jump right in and post to your heart's content! We all know the journey's longer for our kind, but as long as you're on the road that means you're heading in the right direction - we'll all get there together!
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 02:28 AM   #6  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Hi, Melissa - WELCOME! My hubby (Howie6267 ) and I are both members of 3FC and love this place. Howie and I can be each others' best encouragers or worst enemies when it comes to living a healthy lifestyle. 3FC and our dual accountability here has helped us a lot. It's a great group of folks from all over, and I'm glad you're joining in.

Here's to not lurking!
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:42 AM   #7  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Congrats on taking the plunge! We are a great group, if I do say so myself.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 04:50 AM   #8  

Welcome, Melissa, you've found a great place for lots of support, encouragement, wisdom and advice. And inspiration - there are some great people having lots of success in losing many many pounds, and keeping it off - helps to know that when its a long journey ahead of you!

Do join one (or all!) of the accountability threads....its a bit daunting at first, but is a great source of support.
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:51 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Hi and welcome. You've found the right place.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:23 AM   #10  
DS 7/3/02

Hey everyone! I'm new here too. Just feeling my way around. I had WLS in July of '02 and I'm down just over 140 lbs. Not sure how people around here feel about WLS, but I'm jumping in anyway!
I am about 20 lbs from my personal goal and I started WW 3 weeks ago to get there. I am finding it fairly easy to follow so far.
If I ever find my way back here I'll see you around the boards!
Laurmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 06:56 PM   #11  
Melissa

Default warm welcome

Thanks for such a warm welcome! Today was the first day on our new eating, which is South Beach. It was a good day. I am not sure how things are going to work with me and my husband, he really expects me to spoon feed him through this process. He even said he will read the book "if he has time", did I mention he is a school teacher who is out for the summer? I have to admit that he does frustrate me now and then , but I love him so I will help him through this and hopefully he will be able to help me.

Laurie, I sure did consider surgery but knew someone who had serious complications (which really scares me) so thought I would give it one more try the old fashioned way. I think you are very brave! And congrats on your lose.

Lexington is a great place to live. I moved here in '89 from a much smaller town in KY and can't really imagine living anywhere else! Although the summers do get awfully hot!

Thanks again for the great welcome!

Melissa
Old 05-31-2005, 07:12 PM   #12  
Not giving up!!

S/C/G: 323/200/175

Height: 5'8

Hello and Welcome!! Good luck with your weight loss!! I know you can do it!!
~~Sunshine~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 09:47 PM   #13  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Welcome Melissa,

Tell your husband to come in and join us too. It's not all women here and there is great support for all. If he needs any help and wants to talk to a guy he is more than welcome to email me. He can find the email link on my web site that is below in my signature.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:06 PM   #14  
Melissa

Howie, that is so awesome of you to offer, I will let him know. It is nice to have someone to do this with. I b**** about him sometimes but he is a good guy and I want us to be together for a long time so we really need to be on top of this stuff.
Thanks!
Old 05-31-2005, 10:30 PM   #15  
DS 7/3/02

Hey Melissa! Thanks for the warm welcome! I really wasn't sure how I would be recieved. As for your dh, girl you're LUCKY to have him at least willing to work on it with you. Mine has a very hard time with anything but Atkins. He does great on it for a while, but then he gets in the same room with a piece of bread and it's all over with!
Surgery is a MAJOR decision and if you even THINK you have it in you to do this any other way then you MUST try! I have many friends who have had horrible comlications as well and it IS scary!
You have a great path ahead of you! I KNOW you can do it!
Laurmom is offline   Reply With Quote