Old 05-29-2005, 01:12 PM   #1  
it's always something

Default Vegetarian chili - great way to get in my veggies

I make this frequently and freeze it in individual portions. It tastes much better the second day. I don't always use fresh red peppers. I found a brand of canned roasted red peppers that are packed in water (not vinegar) so they are mild, and I use them sometimes, to make it quicker to fix. The recipe we posted on the main site is identical except I leave out the canned refried beans. I discovered that it doesnt need them and I prefer the chili without them. The recipe can easily be cut in half if you prefer.

4 sweet red bell peppers, diced
2 large sweet onions (such as Vidalia), diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 can (15 oz) vegetable broth
2 large cans (28 oz each) crushed tomatoes -find a good brand because the texture matters here - I prefer Progresso crushed tomatoes, or Muir Glen Fire Roasted crushed tomatoes
2 cans (15 oz each) black beans, drained
2 cans (15 oz each) kidney beans, drained

chili powder to taste (1 tsp to 2 Tbsp or more depending on the type you use) OR use finely minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce - start with a small amount and be careful. I also use chipotle powder. Love the smoky flavor. What I DON'T use is the tin can of so-called chili powder or seasoning that is a mixture of things and has usually been sitting on the shelf for a year or two.

In a stockpot or dutch oven, heat oil and add onions, peppers, and garlic. Stir until soft and onions are translucent. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a low boil, stirring constantly. Add chili powder gradually until desired heat is achieved. Remove from heat and serve. If desired, top each serving with a dollop of light sour cream, shredded low fat cheddar cheese and fresh diced onions.

Makes 8 to 10 large servings, or about 12 smaller servings. I freeze it then pop it into the microwave, and have even been known to eat it for breakfast.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 04:03 PM   #2  
Empress/Queen

Hmmm. That looks good, Suzanne!!!

I like the idea of the sour cream.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 07:01 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

When your done cooking it, you can add some mixed veggies to bulk it up as well, depending on what I have, like frozen or canned (drained). Green beans, peas, anything really.

I love my chili with some fried up ground chicken (just a bit) and oooodle of veggies.
I also use Taco Seasoning to spice it up instead of chili powder (depends on my mood) but for some reason I like the taco seasoning.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote