Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-24-2005, 02:52 PM   #1  
Crazy Housewife

Default cellulite

Now, I know there isn't a way to magically get rid of cellulite... but as I lose regular fat, will the cellulite start going too? I've heard from some that I can NEVER get rid of cellulite, and form others that it will dissappear as the fat does (but a good bit slower). So which is right? There must be some way of getting rid of it (without paying tons of money, that is)!
MrsThallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:39 PM   #2  

What's important to understand is that "cellulite" is sort of an artificial construct.

There is a web of tissue that connects our skin to our bodies. As we age, this web starts to snap in places, creating larger holes. The fat layer beneath your skin can get pushed through the web, creating a dimpled appearance. Also, the more fluid in your tissues, the worse it looks. It's sort of like the result you'd get if you pushed a tennis racket over a mound of Crisco.

So, you can't repair the web. What you CAN do is reduce the fat. Exercise can also strengthen the connective tissue. Watching sodium, staying hydrated, etc. can reduce water retention. All of these things can make the "cellulite" look better. Because women have weaker connective tissue and more fat naturally than men, we're much more susceptible to this phenomenon. There are lots of treatments out there touted by everyone from snake oil salesmen to spas to dermatologists, but NONE have been shown consistently to do anything about it.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:47 PM   #3  
No pain, No gain...darn.

I was wondering about this too. One of the things that I've noticed lately (and this is actually part of what's making me wanna lose weight) is the cellulite on my thighs- mainly my left thigh. On the front part- it's SO deep! And I have this one huge patch on my butt (left part) that is so big- when I wear stretch pants you can see it! It's like these little mountains on my body...

I do hope that walking will minimize this.
PrincessCherryJewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 12:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

funniegrrl- Thanks for the info. I have never heard cellulite explained that way it was helpful, and encouraging.
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote