General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-28-2005, 10:40 PM   #1  

Default Ok so I'm in the planning phase at this point....

I want to try for the umpteenth time to lose weight. I went to the Walmart tonight to get some summer clothes and lets just say that even though I had my daughter almost two years ago I still look pregnant. One thing is I hate to be hungry and can't focus when I am hungry. I need to plan some easy between meal snacks and also some lunches. Can you guys give me some suggestions? Just FYI though, I hate tomatoes, peppers, or olives. Everything else is pretty much a go. I thought about watching my calories as the way to go this time around the diet yard. Thanks again for the help!

Casey
Dacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 08:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

The simple key to weight loss is burning more calories than you take in. Period. This is achieved by eating a little less calories than you burn through the day by regular life, and your exercise program. How many calories you should eat a day depends on your current weight, age, activity level, and so forth.

I would be happy to help-but the first things you really need to do are to decide how much weight you want to lose realistically, reasonable exercise goals to start with considering your current lifestyle and fitness level. Recipes can come later.

Are you a stay at home mother? Do you just have the one child? Do you have access to a nice place you can walk with your child in the stroller for exercise daily-like a close walkway or mall-or do you have someone else in the home who would be willing to watch your child while you do an exercise video or something every day for 20-30 minutes? These are really great things to think about in the planning stage.

I am a calorie counter. I like it personally-because while I choose healthy foods like oatmeal, fruit, vegetables, chicken, etc. most of the time-if now and then I want a sugar free hot cocoa, or some other small treat-it isn't on a "forbidden list" of foods. I just have a small portion, or a diet/sugar free version of a regular treat for less calories. I can't stick to something like Atkins where there are 10,000 foods I am never allowed to have. I do better with the freedom of choice-but small portions.

With more information, I'd be glad to work with you in getting a plan together, and directing you toward some great parts of the forum here for your specific goals.

Aphil
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 309/309/220

Height: 5'2"

I am counting calories and I have listed some of the snacks I use. I have to snack because I am pre-diabetic and blood sugar will get too low (due to my medication) if I do not eat a little something between meals. For me, mixing a little protein w/ carbohydrate helps me to not just do empty snacking like sitting and eating pretzels, chips or other non-nutritive foods that are just empty calories.

-Fat free or low fat cottage cheese and pineapples or peaches canned in their own juice or light syrup (but drain the syrup off)
-Sugar free, low fat or fat free yogurt w/ fruit
-Lowfat cheese and wheat crackers, vegetable juice
-Low fat popcorn (I use the mini bags because it is about 1 serving of carbs) a few (like about 6-8) almonds or other unsalted nuts for some protein and heart healthy fat
-For a sweet treat after dinner in the evenings sometimes, I like to have one of those Blue Bunny Health Smart Fudge or Fudge Vanilla Bars. They are fat free, no sugar added and only 60 calories per bar and they are very yummy. They don't leave that artificial sweetener taste in your mouth. The only sugar in them comes from the naturally occuring sugar in the milk they are made with.

HTH
mandi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:52 PM   #4  
Wants to be a "LOSER!"

For lunch everyday I eat a Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones. This helps with variety and they are low on calories and fat.

For din-din, I eat lean meats, salads, veggies, etc.

DRINK LOTS OF WATER! I just started my lifestyle change a week ago, and it seems all I do now is run to the bathroom. LOL Good exercise too!

Snacks are LF, LC: popcorn with butter sprinkles, little parmesean cheese, frozen fruit pops, grain cereal and LF milk.

Good luck
AnnieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:27 AM   #5  

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply back. I still haven't gotten on the wagon, but I need to very soon. Anyway, I think I want to try watching calories. I've counted points, exchanges, fat grams, etc. and I'm tired of driving myself nuts with all the numbers. I think calories would be easier because it is right there for me without having to figure out the points or exchanges, etc. I'm a full-time work at home mom of a 23 month old. My daughter goes to daycare during the day while I work. Since I had her all of my weight went straight to my middle section and its really saggy. I always had a flabby stomach, but boy now it is terrible. I sometimes still look pregnant! Urgh! I was gestational diabetic while I was pregnant too. I don't have a lot of extra money to buy "special" diet foods. Anyway, I'm a planner and like to have things figured out ahead of time and like to know how I'm going to get to where I want to be. Now if I can just get going and keep going.
Dacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:42 PM   #6  

Hi there, my daughter is three and I know where you are coming from. I would have such a hard time working from home while watching what I eat. I have to be really careful at home that I don't just mindlessly snack.

I try to stay between 1200-1300 calories per day. I am only 5'2", though so you may want to increase that slightly, especially if you are working out at all.

Breakfast:

2 egg whites (I hard boil them and then just eat the whites), 1 piece turkey bacon, 1 high fiber piece of bread or tortilla.
OR
1 bowl of Kashi Go Lean w/ a half cup of skim milk
OR
2 low carb Eggo waffles w/ a quarter cup of sugar free syrup

Lunch:
South Beach Lunchable
OR
Turkey Sandwich on high fiber bread
OR
Reduced Fat Peanut Butter on high fiber bread
OR
Leftovers