General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-24-2005, 03:40 AM   #1  

Default Nutritionists

I've been thining about seeing a nutritionist to help guide me (and maybe push a little more ) with my weightloss and all. How can I find a good one? I'm guessing my g.p. might know a good one; can i call the office and ask for a reference? Or can i find one just as well on my own?
ty
SqueakyBirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I would recommend talking with your physician.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:50 AM   #3  

I agree, your doctor will probably know a good person to refer you too. Also, you might look for a dietician as opposed to a nutritionist. The only reason I say that is that a dietician has taken 4 years of school and has to be registered. They take a test and have to requalify every year. Whereas a nutritionist is anyone who wants to say they know about nutrition. I went to college for nutrition and graduated (6 years ago....ack I'm getting old) but didn't take the exam so technically I'm a nutrtionist but that doesnt' mean I remember much from my school days *smile* You don't even really have to go to school to say you are a nutritionist.

Just my opinion. I'm sure there are some really good ones out there and there are others who have their own ideas about things.

Amber
AmberM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:02 AM   #4  
Wellness*Body*Mind*Spirit

S/C/G: 320/320/?

Height: 5'9"

^^ I second the suggestion for a dietician Please know that your average medical doctor has only about 4 hours of nutrition training out of thousands and thousands of hours of education! That is truly pathetic

Best of luck , from another one who didn't "take the exam" however, I will be taking the exam and then be registered, as I remember (and use daily with clients) what I have learned and have supplemented it with over 1000 hours of holistic education and training to round it out

Last edited by Vegan Vixen; 05-24-2005 at 10:07 AM.
Vegan Vixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:42 PM   #5  

Thanks, going to talk to the doctor about finding a good dietician.
: )
Old 05-25-2005, 01:09 AM   #6  
Wellness*Body*Mind*Spirit

S/C/G: 320/320/?

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueakyBirds
Thanks, going to talk to the doctor about finding a good dietician.
: )

Good luck!

I was just refrencing the possibility that, since most Doctors know very little about nutrition themselves, they may not have the greatest resources for locating a *good* dietician or nutritionist themselves either. I wish you the best of luck in finding a good practitioner!

Last edited by Vegan Vixen; 05-25-2005 at 01:12 AM.
Vegan Vixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:34 PM   #7  

Ah ok....thanks for the heads up.