Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-19-2005, 12:46 PM   #1  

Wink diet schmiet

Hi! And HELP!!

My name is Carrie. I am a single mom of 2 kids (ages 6 and 3). I live in Central Pennsylvania and I have a very demanding desk job that entails long hours, high stress, and keeping me on my butt all day. Over the last two years I have steadily put on weight. And right now, I hate it. I just pulled my summer clothes out of the attic and I cant fit into anything. I know what I need to do to get back into those clothes. Eat less and exercise more. We all know that. But I have not been able to figure out how I can make that happen for me. I am so busy and so stressed that taking care of myself and my needs always seems to come last. So basically I am here to ask for help. I need support and advice and a place to come and vent and gripe when it all gets to be too much. I know I can do it. But so far, I haven’t been able to do it alone.

Thanks so much!!!!
Saffron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Saffron,
I'd love to give you support! I have a 6 year old daughter, and my son just turned 4-so our children are very, very close in age.
I have lost a decent amount of weight in the past 3 years, although slowly. But-I am changing my lifestyle, so I am in no rush.
Amy
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 06:02 PM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Can you get up before the kids and get in 15 minutes of exercise? Can you get in 15 more before bed? How about at lunch time? Can you get to a gym, exercise class, or go for a run or walk during your lunch hour? Get a family bicycle and take the kids for rides. You can easily add in daily exercise though by simple steps such as parking farther from doors (park far from your office and walk a bit to work), and by always taking the stairs. Look for reasons to leave your desk. If you're going to call downstairs about a matter, change that to running downstairs and checking on it in person. Gets you away from the stress of your desk and gives you some exercise as well.

As for eating, it doesn't have to be less, but right helps. Eat more lean meats, veggies, fruits and whole grains. Drink more water. Will be good for the kids eating habits too. They will grow up grabbing a bottle of water rather than a can of soda from the fridge. If you don't have time to cook, you can try cooking in batches on the weekend and freezing. But if you eat out a lot, just pick the healthier choices.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 09:47 AM   #4  

I agree. To start out there are many changes you can make that your family will not notice. Put out a small tray of grapes or cantalaupe chunks for dessert or a snack for the family instead of junk...if you make something that has hamburger in it-use extra lean (92/8 or 96/4) instead of regular80%lean/20%fat kind...or use ground sirloin which is lean as well. If you have a grill-this is the season to take advantage of it-grill chicken breasts on the grill, ears of corn (if you don't know how to do this I can explain) and have a healthy meal for the family.
My husband and I take walks a couple of times a week with the kids-just nice strolls outside through the neighborhood-but exercise is exercise-and it gets the kids doing it too.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:00 AM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I SO hear you about being insanely busy and stressed out--except I have no children, so I'm sure you've got plenty more to worry about! However, I do work 2 jobs, so I leave the house around 5:30am and don't get home till about 10:30-11pm. That means the key to my dieting has been PLANNING!

I pack ALL of the food I eat for the day during the week (except breakfast, which I eat at home). This allows me to know EXACTLY what I am eating throughout the day. No hidden calories, added sodium, or unhealthy oils like many restaurant foods or ready-made products. I know you probably eat dinner with your family and not in between jobs like I do, but try making subtle changes to make the food healthier so the family won't think they are dieting along with you. After all, it's not a "diet," it's healthy living! Use olive oil instead of regular or butter. Like other suggested, choose lean meats and lots of veggies. Grilling is AWESOME so your food doesn't have to sit in its own fat in a pan. I'm also a HUGE fan of preparing lots of meals on the weekends and freezing them for during the week. I've recently found that stir-fry freezes and microwaves extremely well and is SO good for you (veggies, chicken, and brown rice)!

Definitely go with fruit instead of junk food. If junk is a necessity, at least try to start by buying less junk. The less temptation there is, the easier to stay on plan!

I know I repeated a lot of what others have already said, but that just goes to reiterate that it does work! Also, the water is SO important--MINIMUM 64 ounces a day is suggested if you are NORMAL weight, and even more if you are overweight. This will help you lose some water weight by telling your body not to retain water ("it's okay, body, I drink plenty, so you don't have to hold onto it!").

In any case, remember you're eating healthier, not DIETING. Don't make unhealthy food for your family and a separate healthy dinner for yourself. Find healthy choices everyone will love, and life will be happier as well as healthier!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:14 PM   #6  
Staying Healthy

Talking

Hey, Jill! I'm Jill, too.

Boy, you couldn't be more correct about planning! In order to lose weight, you have to make it a full time job, too. Deciding what is happening the next day and how to deal with it is key. Are people in the office going out to lunch and you agreed to go along? See if the restaurant has a menu on the internet and plan what you are going to eat. That way, instead of going on impulse (i.e., oh, boy, a cheeseburger looks good), you have earmarked the grilled chicken salad with vinegarette dressing. Can I exercise before work? Put your exercise clothes in a gym bag and put it with your purse before you go to bed. There are many things to plan ahead. Leaving things to chance can sabbotage your efforts.

I have made exercise a part of my life. Even if you are extremely busy, you can take the suggestions made about parking and stair climbing to heart. Get some hand weights and use them at your desk or while you climb those stairs. There are always ways to get in a few minutes every day.

Good luck! We are all rooting for you! LOVE, JILL
JWinATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:29 PM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Speaking of using hand weights, another simple way to get in exercise. Do you ever sit down to a movie with the kids? Cartoon? Anything? Don't sit down to it. March in place, or even a light jog, with hand weights. Maybe the kids will even join you and make it a fun exercise/cartoon watching moment.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:25 AM   #8  

There are some wonderful exercise videos for parent-child interaction as well:
~Denise Austin Fit Kids (has a kids exercise segment, and a parent-child segment)
~Yoga For The Kid In All Of Us (yoga for adults and children)

These could be really good to get a little activity out of you, and your child/children at the same time.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:31 AM   #9  

Thank you so much for your responses!!

while reading them i realized that i am the QUEEN of excuses. i had one for not doing almost everything you guys suggested. i never realized how much i was holding myself back. So thank you so much for helping to open my eyes!

I have been eating much better this week. as a matter of fact the sudden switch to lots of veggies and high fiber has did a number on my stomach. but i am sure i will get used to it. i still have not found the time to exercise during the week. Last weekend i took a long walk with the kids and i really enjoyed it. My daughter drover herself and her brother in her barbie jeep and i walked behind. That wont work in the streets of my neighborhood but, I found a very affordable double jogging stroller that all of my hard work and overtime will be paying for. I plan to purchase it tomorrow.

i am feeling very positive about making changes. they were overdue. And i found out i really like turkey sandwiches on wheat with spicy mustard. when i am done eating i felt like i had eaten. not at all deprived.

thanks for the help girls! I hope soon to get a success ticker moving in the right direction.
Saffron is offline   Reply With Quote