Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-23-2005, 10:53 AM   #1  
Ilene the Bean

Cool Cool Runners # 7 - May 23-29

Ok, I'm a bit late this morning to get the weekly thread going but it's Victoria Day here so I slept in ... I'm going to the gym later gonna run a few miles on the and do some shoulder work and abs...

Anne, hang in there you'll be fine in no time this whole experience will be over and you'll wish for the quiet moments of pregnancy...

Spanky, welcome Congrats on your future 5k... I also used to hate going out running the streets, but now I just don't give a dang ... ''I do my own thing you do yours'' is my moto...

Mrs Dawson -- Keep up the great momentum I'm impressed. That's so true, ''one foot in front of the other''... Running is a mind game most of the time...I when I read that many of us get in our cars and measure the distance after a run I purposely don't take short cuts because I won't be able to get a good reading ...

Ellen -- I feel the same about runners saying hi when I go by, I feel like I'm in a 'special' club ... I've also have cars stop and let me go by just so I don't run on the spot on a corner, everyone seems to have a certain respect for runners... It's a good feeling...

Well gotta run, things to do, places to go...TTFN
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:50 AM   #2  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Well, I ate kind of poorly over the weekend, and I'm having my toe frozen again tomorrow morning, so I made today's run a good one! 4 miles in 59:49! That's the longest I've ever run for. It would have been better if I'd been a little more hydrated, but I got the pace I was going for. I hadn't run 4 miles before so I thought I should do it at about 15 min/mile instead of trying to go faster (the 11:27 mile I did last week was fast enough that I was totally exhausted afterwards, no way I could do three more at that pace!!).

Mrs D -- your pictures are great, I can really see a difference! Congrats!

I had a couple interesting experiences while running this morning that I was wondering if any of you have had . . . I'm sure everyone has had the feeling that their legs had turned to rubber before, but I found that while I was on the last 1/2 mile of my run, I suddenly started getting chills and goosebumps. I was running on an indoor track, so it's not because of the temperature. Does anyone have that happen? Also, my lips got really chapped, I think from breathing through my mouth, and I made the mistake of wearing shorts (I usually wear long pants), so my thighs rubbed each other raw! Today was the first time I really strongly felt like my legs were giving out before my cardiovascular system . . . usually I get tired and stop even though my legs could keep going, but not today!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Mrs D-just saw the pictures. I think the changes are pretty dramatic, you even look
like you are standing up straighter which makes you look thinner...

Paperclippy-same thing has happened to me before, hot day out running all the sudden chills and stuff. whenever it has happened I have been near the end of my run so I just finish up. Don't know why it happens but usually occurs when I am extra fatigued- which usually happens when I am not hydrated enough. I also have problems with my lips getting chapped because not only breathing through my mouth but lick my lips when they get dried out from my heavy panting! I now keep a chapstick with my stopwatch so I remember to put some on everytime I head out.

Spanky-welcome!

didn't get much working out done over the weekend, but did some gardening. My butt and thighs are achy today! Hopefully I can run and do some upper body.

SJ
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:36 PM   #4  
Bye bye baby weight!!

S/C/G: 242/233/150

Height: 5'5"

Hello runners!! I am really interested in taking up running. I have never been very good at it because I can never find my rhythm with my breathing and even my legs. I know I just need to start out small and gradually build up but I was hoping I could get some words of wisdom from you girls that run on a regular basis. Anything will be helpful I have an indoor track at my gym that I will be using because it is already 107 degrees outside here in Las Vegas!! Too HOT Anyway, I hope I can get my running off on the right foot I'm up to swimming 2 miles on the weekend and I ride my bike and take a spin class 3 times a week. Now I just need to be able to run and I can sign up for a triathlon Maybe sometime this century at least. Thanks for reading
leannealise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:10 PM   #5  

Hello runners!

I haven't posted here for a while because I haven't been running and it's killing me. My knee started hurting a few months back and my distances started also getting shorter, so four weeks ago I decided to give it a rest, for now. The doctor I saw last week said it might be a pinched fat pad under the knee cap. Anyone ever have any experience with this?

Any input would be great!
LOVE2C135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:23 PM   #6  

Default Can I join this thread?

I have just started training for a 5k in july and it would be nice to get some feedback and motivation from other runners.

I started running in Jan of 04 and eventually ran a 10k but had to shelve running for awhile due to illness. I took a much longer break than needed and I am glad to be back. Now if I can just stick to waking up at the crack of dawn to get my running in (I am a night owl).
NillaWafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:04 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

leannealise, LOVE2C135, NillaWafer, WELCOME all NEWBIES we LOVE newbies .... One thing is for sure, running is very addictive whether that's a downfall I'm not sure but for me it isn't ...

NillaWafer -- If waking up early is too difficult, maybe an early evening run is better for you... Do what works for you the best, we are not all morning people...

LOVE2C125 -- I Googled your problem and came up with several great sites... I found it interesting it is related to patella femoral pain which is a problem my daughter has...

leannealise -- Sounds like you have some great accomplishments under your belt and running is just another one that will enhance all the others. My only advise is to take it slow run every second day, run 1:, walk 1: to start for 15-20 minutes and work yourself up... Hope this helps...

I had a good run on the this afternoon... I am so much slower on the treadmill than outside, today it took 34:30 to do 5k...Maybe the wind pushes me along when I'm outside ...
Old 05-23-2005, 11:44 PM   #8  

Hi everyone,

I'd like to join your group if it's ok. I'm new to running..I heard about the couch to 5k training program and decided to give it a try. I've been using exercise videos in the past but I would like to shake it up a little by doing some running. I'm on the second week right now -- I can't believe how fast I get wiped out but it's exhilirating at the same time! I really feel like I've accomplished something. Talk to everyone later!
WazzuGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:50 AM   #9  

Hello!

Thanks for the welcome. I ran 5K in 38 minutes today. Even though I am working nights and I was pretty tired, I did it. At about 1.5K I was convinced that I needed to go home to bed, but I did it!

Hubby is taking a course all week, so he will be leaving the house later than normal and not doing his regular PT (physical training) in the morning, so we are going to go for a run together when I get home from work. I get to set the pace and he gets to set the route. We've never run together before. He is a RUNNER and has run 3 marathons, so this should be interesting.
KristinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:15 AM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Wazzu WELCOME to Cool Runners !! Good luck with your Couch to 5K it's a perfect place to start...

Spanky -- It's fun to run with someone slower than you, I have a running partner that runs 4:1 and it's a very enjoyable run when I go with her... It's a great time for you and Hubby too to talk and chat of the day's events...

Today, I'm not sure if I'm running because I am doing a leg workout, I'll have to see how my legs feel after an hour of shredding them , I usually don't run after doing legs but today I kinda feel like it....I'll see how I feel...
Old 05-24-2005, 08:47 AM   #11  
Made my Goal weight!

Spanky....lol, yur situation sounds much like mine....my hubby is awesome at running and has ironman training for PT each morning so he has to run LONG runs a few times a week....I am so happy to be able to do 10km and by september he'll be doing 35+km....I am doing the MDS 10km race in Ottawa on Saturday and my hubby is doing the half marathon on Sunday....

I have to do some hill training today- yay! I am going to attack it just like anything else- what doesn't kill us makes us stronger right??lol

Good Luck to everyone....running no matter how far is an accomplishment in itself....MANY people are too afraid to even try it, so give yourself a big hug and know that you have and are acheiving something great!

Leanne
LeanneM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:12 AM   #12  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Spanky -- I run with my bf sometimes, but I think it's better for me than for him! When we get back from running I'm exhausted (I definitely run faster when I'm running with him), and he's barely broken a sweat!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:19 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Welcome to all the new runners! Its great to have you. I have to agree with Ilene, very addicting.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get out in a couple of days. My dh is out of town and so I have been left to run around by myself, plus trying to work over time. I'm going to find time today, even if I have to stay up late to finish everything else.

SJ
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:40 PM   #14  

Default Thanks for the Welcome!

I really like the boards on this site. I have been to running boards for other sites and it seems that everyone is so pretentious that it wasn't a pleasant experience. You all seem very nice and excited to help the newbies!

Ilene: regarding the am v. pm running, I would prefer running at night but I have two young kids and work full time and in order for our schedules to work it seems that early morning are my only option. I could workout while the kids eat but I think it is important for our family to sit down and have dinner together. My biggest battle is going to be getting up so early but I am also going to try and go to bed when the kids do so I can still get at least 8 hours in.

Last time I ran a race I trained with a running group. The program was geared toward a 1/2 marathon but I only made it to the 10k. This time I am really scaling back with a 5k (which I really like to run) but I am trying the 5k program based on the 20's, 10's and 5's. Is anyone here familiar with it or had any success with it? I am also circuit training on my easy days with one day off (no structured exercises) a week.

I thought it hold me accountable to post my workouts so for today:
30 min easy walk 3.0 pace, no incline on TM and 30 minute circuit training.
NillaWafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:43 PM   #15  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

HI! and welcome Spanky, Nillawafer, wazzugirl, and leannealise. Hope I didn't miss anyone new.

Mrs. Dawsondn, I agree with wndranne. Supposedly there's some small possible advantage to taking caffiene before a race, but most runners aren't at a level where it really matters. I drink coffee because I really like it and it keeps me awake enough to keep up with my kids. Also because I'm not a pleasant person to be around when I'm going through caffiene withdrawl. I try and eat sensibly most of the time, with enough room for treats here and there.

Anne, don't worry about starting from scratch after baby. You'll get back into it just fine. Do whatever exercise you can for now. It will all help later on, even just walking.

love2c135, I hope you figure out what's going on with your knee and that you're feeling up to running again soon.

papperclippy, good going on the 4 miler! I haven't experienced the chills and goosebumbs, except when weather appropriate. But it's weird how sometimes it's the lungs that give out first and sometimes it's the legs. I have experienced the feeling of having legs made of lead on when I'm going longer than usual sometimes.

Ilene, I hope your long weekend weather was better than ours. Now that everyone's back at work, the sun has come out to play and it's warmer out, but it's still incredibly windy.

9.6km for me today in total, with 4 1k intervals in there. Ok, so I skimped a bit on the cooldown so that I could get home in time to get the kids ready to take ds to school. We're having new vinyl floor put in the kitchen today, so everyone needed to be ready in time to get ds out the door. It was still windy (which slowed my last interval down, since I was running directly into the wind) but at least it was sunny and warmish. Tomorrow either off or an easy 5ish km; I'll decide when I get up in the am.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote