General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2001, 09:19 PM   #1  

Talking body for life #12

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd start a new thread before I left.

I am going east tomorrow (3 days in Boston 3 in NYC). I haven't shared the BFL thing with anyone back east. I am hoping to wow my friends. I have lighter hair, whiter teeth, new nails (went yesterday and had them done...oooh la la) and 2 sizes smaller.

I am windburned from taking the bike today - I hope it clears.

Also I missed a post in the last thread about HIIT.

I'm currently doing 8 minutes 1 minute jog followed by 30 second sprint. I tried it on the recumbent bike today and not so good. going back to the elliptical. I thought I was going to have a heart attack on wednesday. It hurt so good. I hope to keep increasing it but if I hit it like I did on weds it might take a while.

see you all in a week! you'll be with me in spirit!!!
Susan
Old 07-21-2001, 09:10 AM   #2  

I'm feeling like I'm on the verge. Week 6 starts Monday for me. I still haven't shown any losses, but I can feel muscles in my arms--I guess they're pushing the fat against my skin!!

Used a Schwinn Airdynne today for my 20 mins. What a workout! It has the arm things on it, too. So I am pooped!

Susanje-After your 8 mins, do you do another 20 mins of something (after you get your breath back?) I didn't do the HIIT this morning, I couldn't get fast enough on the Schwinn. I did move over to the recumbent bike for the last 5 mins, but was too pooped to try the 4 mins. HIIT on it.

Question for Mrs. J or SJ-How accurate do you think www.biofitness.com is? After reading suggestions on L&S, I went over there to figure out my body fat %. It comes out to 22.4%- Lean weight 112.6, fat weight 32.4. Have either of you tried this sight? Since I still have problems with the calipers, this is the only way I could figure. Could 1 of you try it, and let me know how close it comes to your reading???? Thanks!!!

Last edited by ShelleyM; 07-21-2001 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-21-2001, 11:54 AM   #3  

Hi there BFL'ers. I am just starting to learn about this plan and am very impressed with the results that I have seen in the BFL book. All you you seem to be doing well and feeling positive about the program. I have to admit though, that ready your posts makes me feel a little intimidated. I don't think I am very knowledgable about strength training exercises, supplements, and all that. I have been working out at a gym for several years, but primarily just aerobics classes, stairmaster, and other aerobic exercise. I guess my question is, am I going to be able to figure all of this out? To tell you the truth, I am a little intimidated to do strength training at the gym because I don't really know what I am doing.

Any advice? I am going to try to finish reading BFL this weekend and do some planning. I really want to make a change that is going to show me some REAL change in my body, but right now I am feeling intimidated about the strength training aspect of this.

Also, my other question is are you guys using Myoplex? It seems pretty expensive on the BFL website. Are there other places to get it cheaper? Do you really use the shakes for 3 of your 6 meals? I was thinking they would be nice to use occasionally if you didn't have time to plan a real meal.

Sorry to bother you with a bunch of questions from a potential "newbie". I am just trying to learn as much as I can before I start.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Debbie
Old 07-21-2001, 12:14 PM   #4  

Welcome Debbie!! Although I am rather new at the program (I will be starting week 6 on Monday), maybe I can answer a couple of your questions until Mrs. Jim or Susanje get to answer you. I only use Myoplex for 1 meal (usually my 2nd). I found the Chocolate Lovers 20 packs at www.vitaminworld.com for 23.97!! I just got them in today, and will shortly be trying out the chocolate mint.

Please don't be intimidated by anything at all. We may sound like experts, but we are all just starting this way of life.

Mrs. J and Susanje just completed their first challenges with amazing results. They both were beginners at one time, also!

As for me, I am more like you. I worked out at different gyms for a lot of years, then started working out at home. I have just begun using all my free weights that I have had in my room for years! I can barely raise a 20 lb. dumbbell over my head in both hands! You may want to go over to www.leanandstrong.com, also. Many of us here go back and forth between the 2 boards. They have a lot of people over there that have been doing this through many challenges. If you read, you find out that there are newbies around the board practically everyday.

Finish reading the book, then plan ahead. I think that planning is one of the most important things that you can do. I printed out all 84 forms on the EAS.com site, and plan all my weight workouts 2 days in advance, so that I can compare them to the last workout that I had done prior.

Please feel free to ask any kind of question, and we will all answer as best as we can, and WELCOME to this wonderful group of people!!
Old 07-21-2001, 04:20 PM   #5  

Thanks for responding so quickly Shelley! I have been out shopping to add to my collection of dumbbells, since I knew I would be needing some heavier ones for chest exercises. I checked out vitaminworld.com and the cheapest I found the powdered Myoplex was 20 packets for $43.96. Maybe I missed a sale or something or am I looking in the wrong place? I also saw it at netrition.com for $36.95 for 20 packets. Seems a little high still. Are they worth it? How do they taste? I probably will end up buying some, just to have something convenient once in a while.

Thanks again for you help! Gonna get back to the book now so I can be ready to get under way first thing Monday morning!
Old 07-21-2001, 05:09 PM   #6  

Debbie- I just tried the Chocolate Mint Myoplex lite that came today. It was soooo yummy. Make sure you are looking at Myoplex lite. It is cheaper than regular Myoplex. It sounds like you were looking at the regular or deluxe.

Whoops!! I just looked it up and the price is now $33.56. I must have caught it on sale last week. Anyway, it is the Chocolate Lover's pack. Just keep checking it, they can go on sale at any time. I also bought the Myoplex Lite Vanilla Cream at my local Vitamin World for 29.96, so you just have to check around.

Last edited by ShelleyM; 07-21-2001 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-21-2001, 06:58 PM   #7  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Default Hey can I join in???

I have been doing BFL for 6 weeks now too. i am starting week 7 I have had a few interuptions and am a bit off tract but I am still in there.

I do not take Myoplex but I do take betalean and betagen I do not feel any different. I only take them once a day though. I have a hard time talking to anybody about my exercise program as it is so different from anything any body is doing here, I did not even think of looking here.

I am a die hard lowcarber but do take in a bit more carbs as My body does need them, so I do not follow their diet either.

I was a ``couch potatoe but now I have started to run and took some bellydancing lessons and even have roller bladed

to realize what a feat this is you need to know that I am 42 years old mother of 4 and weigh almost 200 lbs at start. 194. I have not lost much at this time (today 188, 6 lbs in 6 weeks)but sure do see a huge difference as the legs have muscles and I can see thing s tighten up. I have not lost much in inches or clothes size but as I have gained my muscle I will start to see that soon I am in a tight 16 now.

I am eneergised and would love to join you guys in the support of theis wonderful exercise.
Old 07-21-2001, 10:31 PM   #8  

Default Welcome Newcomers!

I cannot believe that I have worked out consistently now for 2 weeks, 6 days a week. THAT is a feat initself!!!

I was extremely busy today after my LBW. I have finally convinced my brother to try the body for life challenge. He got the book over a week ago, has read it and I have been talking about the importance of planning, planning, planning. We created a shopping list and went a'shoppin today. He turned 30 today and is a single guy and he wants his 30's to be WAY healthier than his 20's were. He really is in bad shape- fast food, no exercise, sitting in front of the computer all the time. It was embarrassing for both of us (especially him) when we took his measurements, weighed him and then took THE BEFORE PICTURE. I felt so bad for him ' cause he was visibly uncomfortable with his shirt off AND in front of his icky older sister . I just kept on reasuring him that in 12 weeks of hard work he WILL see results. I just hope he sticks with it. He has support in my dh and I and I hope that is enough!

Mrs. Jim: I don't think I can get labrada brand glutamine in Canada so I bought a brand called "supernutrition", it cost $49.95 for 500grams. (that would be about $1.50 in american dollars -- just kidding).

Well gotta go and take a break. Tommorrow is a busy day but a FREE day. We are taking the kids to the "Blue's Clues" show at the theatre (the stage version) and then for dinner at a restuaruant to celebrate my brother's 30th.

Ciao for now!
Michelle
Old 07-21-2001, 10:53 PM   #9  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Wow! Another new thread??

Sheesh! I leave for a day and voila! A new thread!!!

Nasus40 - Welcome to our BFL thread! You should also check out www.leanandstrong.com - I believe that 99.3% of us BFLers go to both forums...lots of really knowledgable people (men and women) there...but I'll try to answer your questions...

You really do not need to take any nutritional supplement (other than a multivitamin perhaps) to do BFL. My current supplements (actually, I'm not taking any right now - last couple of days of my long free week!) are:

Glutamine (the most important one - for muscle soreness!!)
I use Labrada Glutamine 1000 from www.netrition.com
Betagen - but only because I purchased so much of it - -when I run out, I'm going to buy the cheapest creatine powder I can find!
Udo's Choice Perfected Oil Blend
Trader Joe's multivitamins

I also use Myoplex Lite, but I don't consider that a supplement - it's a meal replacement (food).

Have you actually read the book? For the optimal results, it's important to follow the program exactly as written, including the exercises. If you have a problem trying to create an UBWO or LBWO, go to EAS' Training Zone at http://www.eas.com/sportsspecific/bfl.asp?F=BF and you can get a program created for you.

For inspriation, just go to L&S's Transformation Gallery - and check out all the great results - don't forget Pam B! She is my BFL heroine!!! In January of 2000, she weighed 244 pounds - just last weekend, she competed in a state bodybulding contest and won the novice category! Check out those before and after pix of hers - they will surely motivate you!

Leanandstrong.com also has terrific libraries with recipes, training tips, etc. If you're doing BFL - or thinking of doing BFL - L&S is a must-see. Their message board moves much faster than ours but you'll learn a lot - I just open two windows on my PC and switch back and forth!

Debbie - I agree that the Myoplex Lite is a better deal than regular Myoplex. If you feel there aren't enough calories then just make it with skim milk rather than water! The best price I have found so far for Myo Lite is at www.vitaglo.com - $48.99 for a 42-serving Chocolate/Vanilla/Strawberry variety pack! AND free shipping in the US. Even with the "Challenge Discount" EAS is among the MOST expensive places on the Net to buy their products. And forget about GNC unless you are in an emergency situation!! I mostly order from Vitaglo but I also order from Netrition via the L&S website so they will get a commission to keep going. If you read Muscle Media, many times Netrition.com has a "free shipping" code in their ads, AND I also got my body fat calipers for free there!

For all you thrifty BFLers - try this link http://members.tripod.com/bflbob/id20.htm
It's a EAS Net Price Finder!!!

Hey Shelley - I tried biofitness.com and came out at 16% and change...I wish...think I'll stick to my good ol' bodyfat calipers at 20.7% (using the www.hussman.com/eas site) or 20.2% (using the Accu-Measure guide on Netrition.com). Besides doing all those tape measurements is such a pain!

Debbie - try ebay or your local pennysaver for great deals on weights...
Old 07-22-2001, 09:17 AM   #10  

I feel so wierd today! Usually on my free day I do a leisurely 3 mile jog, or bike 10 miles, but today it is pouring out, so I just immediately took a shower when I woke up. This is the 1st time in 6 weeks that I haven't done some form of exercise!

Mrs. J-Thanx for the biofitness info--I knew it was too good to be true! The reason I went to it was that one of the ladies over at L&S suggested it. Anyway, I took my measurements this morning, and even though I didn't lose anywhere else, I have lost 1" in my stomache!! At least that's something! I might have lost right under my bra line too, but I never measured there to begin with. It seems I am smaller from there to my waist, even though my waist has not gone down.

I have been doing those crunches while lying down that 1 of you suggested. They are great!

Have a good one!!
Old 07-22-2001, 08:43 PM   #11  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Default Thanks for the welcome

I am exccited to be part of this board. Thankyou for the welcome. I did nothing today except tons of laundry, I think that counts for a part of my UBWO???? Don't I wish I would not be in this shape ir that was the case.

I am just checking in and saying have a great program week.
Old 07-22-2001, 09:21 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

Default ?? for Mrs. Jim (or anyone else who can answer it)

I recently started weight training. What should you be eating/drinking before and after a long session? Does it matter? Should I be thinking about carbs or protien or something? I am following a 1400 calorie a day diet.
Old 07-22-2001, 10:39 PM   #13  

Hi! And thanks everyone for helping me out with all my questions. Tomorrow is the big day....day 1 out of 84 and the beginning of a dramatic change for me. I've got my workout planned and my food planned and I am ready to go. I bought some Myoplex Lite at GNC. Was on sale for $36 (20 packets). Will keep checking websites for better prices. I still have a couple of questions (imagine that! ). One, is there a limit to the amount of veggies you can eat? I was thinking you could probably eat as much as you wanted of the non-starchy veggies like cucumbers, tomatoes, etc. Also, I keep reading about so many different supplement, Creatine and other stuff. I am getting so CONFUSED! Do any of you guys use any of this stuff? What do you recommend?

Sorry to keep being a pest, but I am trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks!
Debbie
Old 07-22-2001, 10:57 PM   #14  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Hey there...

Tomorrow is Day #1 of Challenge 2! I'm so excited!!!

Debbie - On Page 89 of the book, Bill Phillips says you should include vegetables (the list is on page 83) with 'at least two of your daily meals". Since most of us struggle to do that (yes, I'm one of those people!) and veggies are so low in calories to begin with, I see why Bill P didn't specify what a "serving" was. The important thing here in BFL is to eat only during the six meals - no snacking in between, including veggies...except for water of course!

Morrigan - On BFL, it is highly recommended that you work out on an empty stomach in order to burn fat and build muscle more effectively. That's one of the reasons that Meal #6 is taken so close to bedtime (I usually have a Myo Lite for that) - so you'll have energy to train in the morning, yet not be all weighed down by a full stomach (that's my take on it anyway). The www.hussman.com/eas site goes into a lot more detail (yet told in an interesting manner!). I'd definitely recommend checking it out!

I usually eat Meal #1 an hour after my workout BTW...
Old 07-23-2001, 08:12 AM   #15  
GARDENING ADDICT

Welcome Debbie, Sue and Morrigan (hopefully Spin will find her way over here, too)~~~

Boy has this thread been busy over the weekend!

Debbie~~~ Good luck on your first day of the challenge. You can do it!

MrsJim~~~Today's the day for C2W1D1~~~you go, girl!

Shelly~~~I hope that your exercise withdrawals are better today

Michelle~~~You're doing great: on to week 3!

This is C1W10D4 for me and I'm determined to do even better these last few weeks. I'm seeing results and very encouraged. DH is full of complements! I don't have a digital camera and my before pictures are still in the camera. So, I'll be seeing my before and after pics at the same time. Should be interesting!!!

I'm expecting my Netrition order to arrive any day. This time I added some Labrada Creatine, along with the shakes/bars/LaTortillas.
My supplements consist of labrada glutamine, multi-vit.,& Phen-Free. And of course Myoplex Lite powder with occassional Myo Lo Carb bars.
Gotta get ready to hit the gym
~~~Sil
Closed Thread