Old 05-22-2005, 03:09 PM   #1  

Question Exercise - what does a fat chick wear to the gym???

I am curious, for those of you who exercise and are still in the category of plus size??? I love the look of Nike and Reebok wear (which can be picked up for a song at TK Maxx) but of course, it doesn't fit.........YET!!!!

At the moment I wear light long shorts sort of like combats. I have pink, navy and grey with a sporty white stripe. I have a sleeveless polo that I wear most. I really want to wear something a bit more figure hugging, mainly because loose clothing is a pain when moving quickly from weight machine to weight machine. Perhaps there is more choice in the US and I am missing a trick!!! Our fat chick shop, Evans, does some exercise gear, but it is not overly practical, most of it is quite thick and fleecy, which is great for walking in the moors, but not fabulous when this fat chick is melting in the gym!!!

Opinions and inspiration greatly appreciated my dear friends.

Last edited by kykaree; 05-22-2005 at 03:12 PM.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 03:20 PM   #2  

I don't know if these companies ship overseas, but you might check out the following:

www.junonia.com
www.justmysize.com
www.title9sports.com

You could at least get ideas about manufacturers, etc.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 05:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/236/150

Height: 5' 6"

You might also want to try www.danskin.com.

I bought a pair of yoga pants that I wear to the gym all of the time and I love them.
Wisertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 05:42 PM   #4  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I found some decent stuff at Fashion Bug.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 07:53 PM   #5  

She wears anything she damn well wants to!! The point is to get out there and exercise!!

I love Champion shorts, esp the cotton bike ones. I wear Champion sports bras also. UnderArmor makes some great shirts that wick away sweat that are worth checking out also.
ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:36 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Asics makes a plus size line, REALLY cute, my store sells them. So far we have baby blue and white little outfits. They go to a size 24. I'm lucky, every company I've worked for has had their own workout line, with decently cute stuff. Oh! Roots offers a plus size line as well, I'm not entirely sure what they have, my mom got some capri pants.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:39 AM   #7  

Hmmmmm thanks for the help here peoples. None of these companies ship overseas....but it proves that the type of workout gear I am looking for does exist!!!! You just can't get clothes that wick away sweat, or yoga pants or anything like that over here as yet! Or if you can, I don't know where all this stuff is hiding!!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:27 AM   #8  

Hi

I got some very good value (they were on sale!) nice looking sweatpants, and tops, at Etam (think it was Etam....it was a while ago). I think they go up to a size 22 (or maybe 20?). I sympathise - when I was going to the gym/pilates regularly I just could not find a sports bra in my size. It made me really angry - it felt like larger women were not meant to exercise!

Mind you, now I mainly swim, and walk, so don't have such hassles.......
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:59 AM   #9  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I dont live in the UK, so I can't help.

But if you lived here in America, I would tell you to go to Target for a Moret brand sports bra. With that I wear a t shirt & black sweatpants.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:55 AM   #10  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I definitely just wear a t-shirt and sweatpants from WalMart--no point in spending much $$ on clothes I'm just going to sweat in I also found a cute pair of knit draw-string capris I like to wear (since I can't wear shorts--they ride up WAY too much on the eliptical!).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:08 AM   #11  
Jennifer

Do you guys have Old Navy in the UK? I get all my yoga pants at Old Navy, which has pretty generously cut sizes up to XXL. For tops, I usually get hoodies from Old Navy as well, but I wear them with graphic tees of bands or other things (just to throw in a little personality!).
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:02 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

You might also check out ebay. I found a great everlast bra on there and it really seems to keep me in place. Another option would be to find someone in the US and have shipped to them and then they could ship to you. I know it would be a pain but it might be worth it.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:35 PM   #13  
2006 - Panda Remix

Kykaree,

If you really love Reebok stuff they do it up to a UK size 26 in my 'Ambrose Wilson' mail order catalogue - They are the same company that run the 'simply be' catalogue and I think they have exclusive rights to the larger sizes.

Personally, I've chosen not to buy the Reebok stuff because it is REALLY expensive (£45 for a pair of pants) and as I'm losing weight I don't want to spend that much money on something that will only last a couple of months.

My catalogue sells a much cheaper range called 'Resume' which is cool and trendy, but a quarter of the cost of Reebok - this also goes up to a size 26 and this is what I'm wearing now and I'm very pleased with it.

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:08 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I've found that sports bra's aren't always as they seem, I personally have a sports bra that has underwire, lots of padding, and doesn't typically look like a sports bra. This holds me in place better, and keeps my girls from hurting too much.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:24 PM   #15  
Jenny

I wear off brand gym shorts (think what a guy would wear playing basketball), a crappy tshirt and my new balance shoes *shrugs* nothing too fancy
thefictionalme is offline   Reply With Quote