Old 05-19-2005, 11:46 PM   #1  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Default Anyone else have leg pain?

I have been saying that I am having "leg problems" for a while now. Back in March, I got a charlie horse in my right calf that didn't go away for a week. The pain got so bad, I finally had to see a doctor. He ruled out blood clot and gave me some muscle relaxors that helped. But shortly there after the pain appeared in my left calf, just not as bad. And on occasion int would show up in my thighs. It kind of moved around. The doctor ran a million tests. He ruled out diabetes and PAD (basically ruled out poor circulation). Then it finally went away. But just a few short weeks later it has retured. The pain lasted almost a week and then yesterday went away. But what I was left with was a odd sensation, almost like a numbness and some swelling. Advil seems to have it mostly under control. I have become very good about taking my vitamins (including potassium) and been drinking my water.

Why bore you with my symptoms?? I have been wondering if this could just all be due to my weight and nothing else? So since many of you are in the same boat, I was wondering if anyone else suffers from some ofthe same symptoms?
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:56 PM   #2  
Crazy Canuck

I've experienced that pain...it reminded me of when I was a young teenager and my legs would ache badly and Mum would tell me it was "growing pains" - muscles and tendens stretching because I was growing. Well, obviously I still wasn't growing in my mid to late 40s when the pain came back (sometimes my legs would go numb as I was walking down the stairs and I felt like I could fall any minute). I remember nights lying in bed and just not being able to get comfortable because I had unexplained leg ache.

I never did go to the doctor and it did eventually go away. I don't know if it was directly related to my weight but have to admit I haven't experienced it in a couple of years. I'm glad you went to the doctor and he ran all the tests - if nothing showed up then perhaps it IS weight related (either that or you're starting to age, my dear)
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 12:02 AM   #3  

Hi Sandi,

Are you on any new medications? There are some that can cause cramping like that, however, I am sure your GP checked that out. How about new activity or any prolonged sitting? Those are my only thoughts. Make sure you are stretching your calf muscles out really well post exercise. Glad all your tests came back and no DVTs - that is wonderful!!! I had horrible leg cramps but mine were due to a medication and stopped with cessation of the drug. Good luck, hope you feel better soon!
Jenaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 11:48 AM   #4  
Jenny

Sometimes when I'm sitting I get shooting pains in my legs, like my upper leg and it feels like they're numb or losing circulation. I've been worried that it may have to do with my weight
thefictionalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 12:03 PM   #5  
Jennifer

When I was heavier I used to get horrible pains in my legs when I walked, especially if I hadn't stretched beforehand. The pain was usually located in my shins or the muscles above my ankles along the sides of my legs (very painful here), and it was really hard to walk any distance. I actually never get this pain anymore, but I'm not sure it's because I've lost weight or just because of the increased activity. I hope yours goes away soon! If it is charlie horses, I think potassium supplements that are supposed to help; however, I noticed recently that the supplements I bought provide only a PITTANCE of the RDA in potassium, so I'd have to take about 30 pills to get what I'm supposed to!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 12:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I've recently been starting to have some left knee pain, especially if I move it just wrong but that's about it. My dad used to get horrible leg cramps and his doc told him to up his banana consumption (potassium) is supposed to help with leg cramps.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote