Old 04-07-2005, 06:54 AM   #1  
Working for the Cruise!

Default Protein Packed Breakfast Cheesecake

For those who don't like eggs for breakfast....

From Low Carb Creations:

Breakfast Cheesecake

24 oz Neufchatel (LF) Cream Cheese
8 oz Fat Free Cream Cheese
1 1/2 Cup Splenda
24 oz FF Cottage Cheese
6 Eggs
2 tsp Vanilla Extract

------
In a mixing bowl beat the 4 packages of cream cheese and Splenda until smooth and fluffy. In a blender combine cottage cheese and eggs and blend until smooth. Add gradually to the cream cheese mixture. Finally fold in the vanilla. Pour into spring form pan (I use a regular pie pan and it works just fine). Put into an oven preheated to 400* for 10 minutes. Turn the oven down to 200* and cooke for 40 more minutes. Turn off the oven and allow the cheesecake to stay in the oven until cooled off. Don't overcook this or you reuin the texture. It should be smooth and creamy.

Total Fat: 11.3g
Carbohydrates: 5.5g
Protein: 12.6g

16 Servings

You can sub out more FF cream cheese for the LF kind. The book says it makes a difference, but I've never noticed.

Last edited by AdiaFaith; 04-08-2005 at 11:01 AM.
AdiaFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I wonder if these freeze well. I'm betting the should, then I could make them in the cupcake holders to make sure it was 16 servings and not 8....not that I would do that...no, not me, no problems with portion control here...

Anybody try this as cupcakes yet?

Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:06 AM   #3  
Working for the Cruise!

Ok, so I made these as cupcakes and they were fantastic! I halved the batch, baked them at 400* for 6 minutes, 200* for 35. A half batch made about 20 total cupcakes for me. So I eat two of them for a serving. EXCELLENT! And they are really good frozen. Try it out if you get the chance ladies! Great on the go!
AdiaFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:33 AM   #4  

I made this on Saturday as cupcakes. I used the large cupcake holders. I reduced the splenda to 3/4 cup and added a sm package of sf lime jello because I don't really like plain cheesecake. Right out of the oven, I really wasn't impressed. But the next day Oh, my gosh these are so good. I'm glad I made them cupcakes so I can grab a single serving.

Sarah
Old 05-30-2005, 05:56 AM   #5  
i luv my dog!

I was always under the impression that its a type of reduced fat cream cheese. It has always available, even before the term LowFat entered the supermarket. It is sold in bricks like cream cheese right next to them in the market.

After seeing your question, I found this online:
* Cream cheese is similar to French Neufchatel in that it is made from cow's milk, but differs in that it is unripened and often contains emulsifiers to lend firmness and lengthen shelf-life. USDA law requires cream cheese must contain at least 33 percent fat and no more than 55 percent water, although there are low-fat and nonfat varieties now on the market.
* Neufchâtel is a name used in the United States for a softer form of cream cheese that contains 20 to 33% fat, although the cheese bears no relationship to French Neufchâtel, produced only in Normandy.

PLUS tips:
Low-fat and non-fat varieties will not melt as well because of the lower fat content.
• To reduce fat in dips and spreads, yogurt cheese, creamed cottage cheese, and low-fat/non-fat cream cheese may be substituted measure for measure.
• In most applications, Neufchatel cheese may be substituted for cream cheese measure for measure.

Last edited by a broad abroad; 05-30-2005 at 06:00 AM.
a broad abroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:19 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

It would work just fine with stevia. I'd be careful of the amount however: I find it can make things too sweet.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:02 AM   #7  

Okay, I made them anyways. I divided the batch by 3, and got 12 cupcakes. I figured out that two made a 150 calorie serving. I froze them and then in the morning decided they needed to be thawed in the fridge first. I reccoment chilling over freezing. I heated them up in the microwave for 30 seconds and topped them with 1/2 TBS of SF raspberry jelly each and it was perfectly divine! Truly dessert for breakfast. ENjoy!
darlingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:32 AM   #8  
Started SBD 1/26/04

Thumbs up Very yummy

I made these yesterday. I can't use any of the atificial sweeteners so I just left it out. Also I made it with all fat free cheese because I can't find the other kind in my area. They are really very yummy. If you aren't a cheese cake lover don't know that you would like it the way I made it.

I used the cupcake wrappers and the muffin tins but I didn't spray the wrappers with anything and they come out of them just fine.

I probably would have ended up with about 35-36 cupcakes but ran out of room at 27 and just trashed the rest of it. I am going to cut the recipe in half next time because it sure does make a very large batch if you are doing cupcakes. I think it would be perfect if you are doing a cheesecake.

I am thinking that I might use them for evening snack as a dessert in addition to sometimes for breakfast and put a teaspoon of simply fruit spread on them making them a P2 dessert.
Sheba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:37 AM   #9  

I cut this in half, and used 16 oz of ff cream cheese because I couldn't get the neuf. at my local store. I made cupcakes, and all in all, they are good. I think I would use less splenda next time. These really have so much potential! Great with coffee!
amelie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:33 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

Height: 5'4"

I made a third of the amount in the original, and it made 12 cup cakes - the same as darling chick.

These are great - I agree you do need to be a cheesecake lover to like these.

I will use this recipe for cheesecake in future.
Artemis__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:50 AM   #11  
Come on Spring!

Heather, there is only a tablespoon of the ff or lf cream cheese per serving in this recipe as there are 16 Tablespoons in a cup. I have no clue about the Neufchatel as we don't get it here. I'll try to figure this out.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:38 AM   #12  

neufchatel is lf cream cheese. edited to add: I found an official definition-Neufchatel
A soft unripened cheese originally from Neufchatel-en-Bray, France. It has a fat content of 44-48%. Philadelphia sells it as low-fat cream cheese in the U.S..

Cream cheese has been talked about many times. I don't know of anyone who has found the non-dairy creem cheese. I think it's some kind of soy product.

This has 3 cups of cream cheese total= 3x16=48 T I made 20 cupcakes so it's about 2.4 tablespoons of cream cheese per cupcake. Ok, so maybe make them smaller- make 24 cupcakes and you'll have 2 tablespoons per cupcake

Had to get my math brain working too early in the morning.
Sarah

(I made it once with all ff and it turned out ok. Not great but ok)

Last edited by sarahyu; 09-22-2005 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:01 PM   #13  
Who needs sleep?

Actually, neufchatel is not the same as the low-fat cream cheese. Philly sells lf cream cheese, and neufchatel (which they market as 1/3 less fat cream cheese). There are 6g of fat per serving of the neufchatel, if I remember rightly from comparing them at the store. I think there were 2-3 g of fat in the lowfat, and 0 in ff.

As I make it out, there would be a total of 1/4 cup cream cheese products of various sorts per serving, so if I understand rightly, you could only have 1/2 serving while staying OP. Does that sound right?
H-ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:33 AM   #14  
Come on Spring!

Lisa, I've never made this recipe as I'm leery of the calories and "creeping portion size". I'd do it in the food processor to get it smooth.

Nancy, it's not baked in a pan of water. My usual cheesecake recipes aren't either although I do use a "bain Marie" for some of my custards.

One of these days I'm going to run this recipe through MasterCook to get the calories. I think it will be a bit scary.

I still can't find Neufchatel cheese - maybe we don't have it in Canada? We DO have Red Rose Tea though!
Old 09-27-2005, 09:43 AM   #15  

Calorie ways it's not too bad if you can stop at one serving. Which I can't so these are very dangerous.

I did put it all into fitday and came up with:
Use 1-2% fat cottage cheese- 2841=178 calories each - 16 servings
Use all ff cream cheese and 1-2% fat cottage cheese-1898 calories=119 calories each -16 servings

I couldn't find reliable information on the fat free cottage cheese, I used one I found at calorie king and it came up with 1888 calories total = 118 calories each but I'm not sure about that one. So if anyone has a container of fat free cottage cheese, you can double check these numbers.

And I don't have the calorie information for the splenda-I know that a small amount is considered calorie free but once you get into the cup fulls it's something else.

Please double check because sometimes my math brain doesn't follow me to work.

Sarah