General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2001, 12:43 PM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Thumbs down Prevention Millennium Diet #64

Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed 42 fat grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine

Here is the website address for the Prevention Millennium Diet.

http://www.prevention.com/2000/diet/index.html

This is not necessarily a vegetarian diet. The guidelines summarized above are just that. In interpreting the guidelines, it is helpful to read the sample menus on the website as well as the more detailed principals of the diet.
Old 07-20-2001, 10:54 AM   #2  
Chick

Default Goodmorning!

How is everyone?

For the last 3 days I have been cooking tomatoes. I made batches of tomato soup, ratatouille, and tomato sauce to freeze. All low cal and veggie so that has to be good, right? The ratatouille is especially tasty and is a great way to utilize summer veggies. Anymore veggies that come my way will end up as ratatouille I think.

I feel good after a week of good eating and exercise. I am feeling empowered by practicing discipline, not something I am very good at actually. For now I am in the zone and am trying to hang on to it.

How is the puppy adjusting judi? I know you all are having fun with it. One of the joys of pets is the unity they bring to the people who love them. Some of our very best times are spent when D & the cats & I somehow manage to congregate on the landing of the stairwell. We sit and talk and pet the cats and all feels right with the world somehow. The kittys are a common bond that makes talking about everything else easier.

I took yesterday off from exercise, it was the 6th day but I am going to do my tape again today. I have recently added weight to the routine so by the time I am finished I am pouring sweat and feel I have worked out to the max. My favorite tape of the moment is the Firm Tough Tape. It's a hard one in terms of endurance, but doable.
Old 07-21-2001, 01:14 PM   #3  

Hi Ledom! Where is everyone??

THe puppy is doing well, he sure is a cutie. My D just loves him.

This week I have given up bread, it is a trigger food so I want to see if I can do without it. I haven't been following the diet because I have been so busy and when I did cook something it was a cream of mushroom soup made with half and half. It has leeks an mushrooms and then you blend it. James Barber was making it on tv and it looked delish. It WAS delish.

Today we are going on a plant tour (you go look at various peoples gardens and yards). It happens once a year here.

You sound like you are busy with your preserving. Those tomatoes will be useful in the winter. Home grown stuff always tastes so much better too.

Good for you on your exercise. I told my DH I can't exercise because the treadmill has got ironing on it. He just came upstairs and said he put all the ironing away. SO I guess I don't have an excuse now.
Old 07-21-2001, 02:09 PM   #4  

Default Still alive even with the heat!

Hi Ledom and Judi,

I'm making my weekly check in since I still have not gotten an internet provider at home. Ledom, the tomatoes sound wonderful. I wanted to raise tomatoes here, but it get so hot that I was not sure if they would produce. Ledom, Judi is right...you have done a great job with your exercise regime this summer. Maybe the scales have not move, but you have gained muscle. You probably look leaner, and I know you feel better. I agree with you about the heat though. It does not motivate me to exercise at all. I'm really looking forward to the fall. Congratulations Judi on being a new grandma. Bentley sounds adorable. My cat has not been feeling too well the past few days. Plus we still have issues. She's so old that I just can't really punish her. I'll just have to live with it. Eventually I'll put laminate flooring on the floor. Hopefully, that will be a few years down the road. I think I've decided to take a stained glass class this fall. I took one years ago, and loved it. Other than that, I've just been working..and working...and working. Hope ya'll have a great weekend, and talk to you later.
Old 07-22-2001, 08:03 AM   #5  

Hey Shebacat! It is great to hear from you. I had to put a huge crate in my living room for my old dog Parasha. She was getting trapped under furniture, etc. The vet has given her STIBESTROL for incontinence, one pill a week. It is working, maybe your kitty needs something like that. Also she could have a bladder infection. But I sympathize with you. My dog still shows a great enthusiasim for eating and still tries to lick me when I pat her so as long as she has some interest in life I don't want to put her down. It is difficult having an aging pet but I want to give her the best end of life possible.

The stain glass sounds great.

Goodmoring Ledom, are you still busy preserving? It is a lot of work but the end product is so nice.

The weather is in the 70's here, not too hot but kind of muggy. I can't stand heat. So I feel for you girls in hot places !

I have been getting stuff together for the trailer for the August trip. It will be so diff. than staying in hotels. We are kind of excited about it. Getting things for it seems like furnishing a play house.

My brother is coming to stay for 6 days this week. I am so looking forward to that.

Dietwise I am on hold. Not eating a lot of stuff that I shouldn't but not restricting either...except for bread. I am staying away from that to see how it goes. My D has developed a wheat allergy so he is not eating it. We buy rice breads for him. That makes it easier. Most of my meals this week were cabbage rolls, I made a big roaster of them and my DH won't eat them and I spent ALL afternoon making them so I will be darned if I am going to chuck them out or give them to the two hail and hearty dogs (Bushido, the akita or Marley).
Old 07-22-2001, 09:23 AM   #6  
Chick

Default Goodmorning,

judi I bet that camper is going to be so much fun for you. Congratulations on your new purchase. I have a good life, but I would love the opportunity to travel more. Maybe someday.

Heat, well you girls have heard the litany before. judi, our LOWS are in the mid 70's now and it is very humid. It is really too hot to hike even early in the morning. It is even too hot to kayak unless you are out the first couple hrs. of daybreak and that is hard to manage. I am holed up in the house now. Perfect month to spend in the darkroom which is in my basement. Knock on wood it isn't as bad as last year when we had a month of 100+ temps.

I have been doing something new with my cats this week, the young ones aren't allowed outside because I would be devastated if they got hit by a car. I have been taking them out for supervised breaks. They seem to really enjoy it. One of them takes summer really hard, she tears her fur out because she is itchy which only perpetuates the problem. It is impossible to keep her 100% flea free this time of year. This doesn't seem to be the case with the other cats. She is also really grouchy. Playtime has been designed to cheer her up.

I finally have stopped cooking after 3 full days of it. There will probably be more to do down the road though. I weighed this morning for my weekly weigh-in. The thing is I can't remember what I weighed last week. I think I may be down a lb. though. I did have a good week of diet and exercise and sure wish that I could see a bigger loss. I just don't know how to pump it up, but hopefully another good week will make it better.

I bought some cheap clothes yesterday at our TJ Maxx (a store that sell irregulars), it was pretty depressing. For a brief moment I was about 15 lbs. lighter this time last year. 15 lbs. is a dress size. A CONSTANT struggle. I do feel more motivated that I have in a while so that's good.

I hear you on the bread judi. I find that if I can keep it within the guidelines of PMD, whole grains help satisfy my appetite if they are combined w/ veggies. If I am not careful though, that is the thing I tend to overeat. I am truly of the opinion that it isn't good to eliminate any food group from your diet. Whole grains help keep your heart healthy.

I did a little surfing on 3fc foods thread yesterday. There is a woman who is posting her favorite recipes and they look really good. They are all vegetarian. You might want to look at it judi.

Take care all. Oh, lana, I FINALLY sent you an e-mail in reply to your personal message. It took me a while to notice I had it, then I posted a wrong address which my server didn't notify me of for 2 days. Hope you got it.
Old 07-23-2001, 09:40 AM   #7  
Chick

Default P.S.

I always worry when I state an opinion that I am coming off judgemental or like a know-it-all. judi, I totally understand the value of experimenting with eliminating a trigger food. I am stating MY philosophy on diet. And speaking of carbs and low carbs, I saw an ad for a cereal that is low carb, high protein made of soybeans. I just can't remember what it is called, but it sounds like a good idea to me. I always want cereal or a bagel or something carby in the mornings. That might be a good substitute.

Well, I am back among the ranks of the daily weighers, and by golly I was down 1.5 lbs. from yesterday . I own maybe 25 exercise videos and only enjoy doing one or two of them. BUT, this morning I am going to do a Tae Bo tape and try to like it. I like my Firm tape that uses weights, but don't think I should do it every day as I need to give that set of muscles a rest. I am looking for a tape I like to do on alternate days.

Have a good week everyone.
Old 07-23-2001, 07:30 PM   #8  

Default bread thing, didn't last long...

Ledom, you are the kindest and most well mannered person! You NEVER sound judgemental...you are a real southern lady ! The bread thing didn't last very long anyway, this morning I made myself an egg mcmuffin with morningside (fake) sausage and cheese on a rice bread bun. It was good. DH has got a food allergy now... to wheat. And we love pasta!

This week is chaotic week, trying to organize a tree cutter with a guy who has a cat (one of those tractor thingys...) We have to redo the driveway before we can bring the trailer home.

It is in the 70's here but very muggy too, usually it is not but it hasn't rained for awhile.

How are the kitties enjoying the outings?

Feeling very unmotivated and everything that I do today seems to take twice as long while being only half as successful.

Hope you all are having better day than moi.
Old 07-24-2001, 09:58 AM   #9  

Default pappadums, at long last...

Ledom, I am finally mailing your pappadums. I had to think of a way to package them since they are wafer thin (they puff up in the microwave). You will see some creative packaging that is for sure. I will mail them this morning.

Whew, it is muggy here....I got up at 3:30 this morning and started doing housework. We don't have AC at my house because it rarely gets that warm, maybe one or two days in summer. We are surrounded by tall trees so the house stays quite cool.

Everyday for the last few days I have seen deer in my yard. Kind of neat.

The good thing about this temp. is I don't feel like eating

Hi Lana, Shebacat, and Alice how are you girls doing?
Old 07-24-2001, 10:34 AM   #10  
Chick

Default judi

what fun. I'm looking forward to my "care" package. By the way, that is such a SWEET thing for you to do.

All is well here, hot but I guess everyone is experience that now if it is even hot where you are judi. Alice, how about your neck of the woods?

I am on a roll w/ the diet. I have been doing the 6 250 cal. a meals and daily exercise and you know, that works. Oh course I knew it did, but for now anyway I am actually practicing the concept. There are times, especially at night, that I am really longing for food. It isn't hunger so much as maybe habit? Anyway, whatever is going on now that is helping me resist - I hope it lasts.

Don't work too hard on that driveway judi.

Oh yeah, the Tae Bo tape. I did the basic one. It was HARD! But it was kind of fun. The thing I like about it is that it is relatively short, but I think those tapes seem to pass fast too. I certainly worked up a big sweat doing it.

Take care all.
Old 07-25-2001, 08:25 AM   #11  

Ledom, way to go on your good week of dieting "work" and it is work. The Tae-Bo tape is short but it is INTENSE.

I am going to pick up my brother at the airport this morning. He is going to be here for a week so it is going to be so nice.

Just wanted to say "Hi" and "Keep up the good work". I had better get going to town.
Old 07-27-2001, 10:29 AM   #12  

Default Hello everyone!

I have been very busy getting all my chores done that I let slide when I spent my usual 2 weeks with my cousin at the lake. The first week was rather chilly, but then it got very hot and muggy again. Now it has cooled off considerably, it is almost fallish, some places up north only got into the 30's last night. BRRRRR!!!
We had a new deck and patio room built on the back of the house. The crew removed our old deck then put on the new one. With the enclosed room we can use it for at least 3 seasons now instead of the 1

Diet wise, things have not been very good. I have started walking again. Ledom, I know how you feel about being 15 lb. lighter last year. I was 12 lb. lighter last year. I just don't feel motivated to do anything. Speaking of carbs, I know that when I limited my carb intake, I really felt better. I have been eating more carbs than I usually did, and I have noticed I have more heartburn than I used to. I am hesitant to go back to really low carbs because DH & I could sit down and eat a whole pkg. of cookies after supper. Now I cook brown rice or beans to have along with our meat & veggies and I feel fuller so that I don't want to eat much, or nothing at all after supper.

JUDI~ I saw in a post you wrote earlier mentioning the puppy. Did your D get that male puppy from the breeder? I know she is going to be very happy with him. They are the nicest dogs. Lacee did very well for her first time down to our cottage. She loved to sit outside with my cousin & me. I tied her leash to my chair and put a little bed outside so she wouldn't have to lie in the sand. She was very content. I hope you enjoy your visit with your brother. Romaine lettuce leaves make excellent "bread" for sandwiches. I use them when I make tacos.

LEDOM~ DH & I bought a canoe. We have never been out in one before, and we didn't do too bad on our maiden voyage. The lake was nice and calm when we went out, but then the wind came up and the lake got rather rough. We did manage to get back to shore without banging into any boats that were moored in our path. Have you taken anymore kayak trips?

Hi Lana & Shebacat, I hope you are both doing well.

I am off for my walk. Take care. Alice
Old 07-27-2001, 01:05 PM   #13  
Chick

Default Hey Alice,

It's great to hear from you and yipee, another paddler in our midst. My mission seems more and more to convert all my friends into paddlers! I HAVEN'T been out in the kayak for a little over 2 weeks now. The heat is just unbearable. I do have a plan for an early morning outing in the cold waters just below the dam next week though.

Sounds as if you have been busy with fun things. A new canoe, a new addition to your house, and a vacation on the lake. Sounds great.

All is well here, I just finished 6 days of consecutive morning video workouts. Tomorrow I get to rest with a clear conscience. I have also been eating well so I am hoping for a good weigh-in on Sun.

Lana, it looks as if those pics I wanted to send you aren't going to make it. I have tried twice and both times it comes back with an error that I know I didn't make, especially the second time. Sorry!

I'm going to be cooking tomorrow, more tomatoes and fresh produce arriving in the morning. I have been adding a few new things to my menu lately. Cottage cheese for one, mixed with a ripe mango and a few crushed almonds, yum yum. For the non-vegetarians among us. I have discovered the new tuna pkged. in foil packets. Pretty innovative and it seems fresher to me.

judi, shebacat, mrs. yogi, lana, you guys need to check in.
Old 07-27-2001, 06:17 PM   #14  

Default Hi gals!

Alice, you have a new THREE season deck, that will be SOO nice! And you bought a canoe, wow! So Lacee spent her first summer at the cottage. Yes, the kids did get a male dog. He is coming to the house on Sunday. We are having a dinner together with my brother who is visiting. THey bought him a dog Snugli and went to the park for a walk carrying him (he hasn't has his last lot of Parvol shots and shouldn't walk on the grass etc.) my D said they couldn't go more than a couple of paces without someone stopping them to oooh and ahh over how cute he was. He is the first Boston Terrier I have seen other than pictures or tv. What a nice dog!

Ledom, your mango and cottage cheese lunch sounds nice, I will try it. I feel for you and your very warm days. We had a couple of really hot days here and I was napping on and off. I found the most simple things exhausting to do in the heat.

Things have been so busy here. I haven't been thinking very much about the diet. My friend made it to her goal and is actually about 3 pounds under. She looks great. She has done so well.

My brother will be here until the 31st. I will be sad to see him go home. We are picking up the trailer tomorrow and bringing it home. I will leave putting the stuff into it until he leaves then it will give me something nice to do and I won't miss him so much.
My DH has taken a few day off this last while so he is home too. I have been doing a LOT of cooking and bread making.
Old 07-28-2001, 03:25 PM   #15  

Default Good afternoon!

Hi ladies,

Hope everyone is having a good weekend! Me on the other hand....I am SICK, SICK, SICK of this HEAT, HEAT, HEAT! The worse month is coming. Ledom, I agree with you..it is just too hot to do anything! By the time I get up in the morning, it is already in the low-mid 80s. I can't wait until the fall so I can open the windows, and let in fresh, cool, air. Judi, hope you're having a great time with your brother. Sometimes I wish my brother and I were closer, but it's so hard when we each have our own lives. You're right about our geriatric pets. As long as she's eating (boy she eats), and moving around ok....then I'll just have to deal with it. I am taking her to the vet in a few weeks, and I'll ask her about the medication. In the meantime, I guess I'll break down and put a kitty litter box in the house again. Well, I guess I better get to work....talk to ya'll later.
Closed Thread