Old 05-14-2005, 05:56 PM   #1  

Default Taken the plunge.....

Well, I did something a bit unexpected today, and joined WeightWatchers on-line..... ....although I am right back on track after a very off-track holiday, I felt the need for something just a bit more structured to help me on my way. I'm going to try the no-point (UK)/core (US) option - its quite similar to a UK programme called Slimming World which I followed very successfully last year, but is to my mind better structured in terms of healthy/balanced eating. I have totally had my fill of meetings - I got to the stage where I really hated to go, and realised I would much rather spend the time exercising, and given the great support I get from you guys, plus all the on-line info and tools, I am hoping that will see me through.

Anyone got any advice, hints and suggestions to help me on my way?
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 06:04 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Good for you Claire for taking the plunge !! Great idea to change things up, it's good for the morale and will give you a fresh outlook on things. With your friends of 3FC and your online help you'll have great support. I felt the same way a few years ago when I was at WW it was just a waste of time and $$, I love to spend my $$ but I sure hate to waste it... Now I just count calories, eat often, eat unprocessed, and exercise and it's working wonderfully... Good luck!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 06:18 PM   #3  

When I was contemplating starting the weight loss journey late last year, I thought about re-joining weight watchers. I did it when I was 15, and I h.a.t.e.d. it, the public weigh ins, the embarrassment, the lack of an individualised approach. I decided to construct my own programme based on all sorts of things I had learned a long the way, and concentrate on exercise and a healthy diet. And so far its working. This site has been instrumental so far, as outside this site I have very little support from friends/family (apart from my new friends at the gym and pool!)

My big tip is, write stuff down. Plan your meals, your times for exercise, make yourself accountable. If you feel you are losing your way, diary your food intake. I recently had a week off work, and was sure I would over eat, but I haven't done, I just kept a diary, and wrote everything down that I ate, and used the time to exercise. It's really boosted my weight loss this past fortnight, I have lost 6 pounds (which is not normal and I usually aim for 1 to 2 pounds a week)

Well done on re-committing, and if you ever want a hand, just holler. Are you in the UK? Which bit?
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 07:40 PM   #4  
Crazy Canuck

Good for you Claire - as commendable as it is to go alone, I also find the structure of a proven plan the way to go. I know some of us here are doing WW core (Sheila53, for example), as well as the regular points program (me ) and I'm sure there's others here you can share the WW experience with - both online and regular program.

I guess I have a different idea of the meetings than some others (viva la difference)...I've never found WW a waste of money because I've formed a close bond with my group members and leader, I value listening to my group's ideas, tips and shared experiences, and I find those weigh-ins the ultimate in accountability (which is something vital for my success). WW on line will have many of those features and tools, so I can't see how you can fail. Good luck!! I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress.
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 08:06 AM   #5  
Just Peachy

Weight watchers works for a lot of people Claire. My mom lost 70 lbs on it about 5 years ago and has kept most of it off. I couldn't do it because of financial reasons but my mom has nothing but good things to say about WW. Good luck on the new plan, and make sure you check out thier boards, sometimes they have great reciepes.
PeachGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 09:28 AM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Congratulations Claire
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 02:05 PM   #7  

Thanks so much for all your words of encouragement and support! Its been interesting so far (day 2!) - I am following the same principles I developed for myself (no junk/processed food; low Glycaemic index carbs; limited sugar, low 'bad' fat), which fit really well, and suit my lifestyle - it is just helpful to have an easy way to count up 'treats'. I have also found some of the tools (goal-setting) etc really good - it was time I revised and re-defined my goals, and this has given me the inpetus to do it!

Ilene - sounds like we have a bit of a similar approach....I eat unprocessed, eat often, and exercise. I just, for the life of me, cannot do the counting of calories - I am not a weighing/measuring/detailed counting kind of gal!

Kykaree - I can completely understand not wanting to do the public weighing, standardised approach ordeal. Although, for me, doing that at Slimming World was in some ways good - I never used to talk to anyone about being overweight, and I think being able to have all those conversations, and jokes has helped me on my journey. I think, in a sense, everyone who is successful on this particular journey, creates their own individual approach - using whatever framework suits them. I agree with the writing things down - and a very big thankyou to Jill for starting our journal thread - it has helped me a lot! I am in London - I can see that you're up North - whereabouts? Probably somewhere beautiful - I envy you the countryside, now that Summer is here!

Jill - thanks so much for your encouragement.......I too made some really good friends at the meetings, but I also found them very repetitive, quite often nutritionally/scientifically ill-informed, and very superficial - there was no space to discuss any of the emotional issues, or behaviour patterns etc. I think they served their purpose for that particular stage of the journey, and I met 2 great new friends, I guess I am just looking for a different type of support now.

PeachGirl - its great your mum has done so well! Thats very inspirational......
Old 05-15-2005, 04:09 PM   #8  
2006 - Panda Remix

Good for you Claire!

I agree - I always found WW healthier than Slimming World, with WW focusing less on processed convenience foods and more on healthy eating and portion control. I'm sure the change will do you good - keep your metabolism guessing and give your motivation a boost.

Good luck

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:24 PM   #9  

I've pondered swimming world, but the red and green days seem a bit bizarre to me. And the food choices also seem a bit weird. I don't like convenience food. If we had one closer I would join Scottish Slimmers. But, I am very happy doing it this way, but sometimes I do miss face to face contact. And I would dearly love to find an exercise buddy!!!! Strength in numbers and all that!!!

I live in Ramsbottom, which is beautiful, very green, with lots to do. I have a gym nice and handy, with a pool, and lots of nice walks. I still haven't been to London yet!!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 10:31 PM   #10  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

Claire,

I did the same thing about 3 years ago......I was VERY VERY successful following the program online. I lost 80 lbs-with 20 more to go. BUT I screwed up-started going out on the town with my best friend-drinking went along with it. I have learned I can't drink and stay on a diet-at least not the way I was.

Anyway-I am now following LA Weight Loss-only because I need A LOT more accountability. But I think the WW program is the best way to go and I know I will end up following that program the rest of my life-as it is the easiest to follow (it becomes second nature-you don't even have to look anything up-you just KNOW what the points are).

I miss WW Online :•(

Good Luck
Sharon
Portland/Milwaukie, Oregon, USA
skandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:33 AM   #11  

Amanda/Kykaree

I think the Slimming World plan is fine - it worked really well for me. The red/green days give you very simple principles to help you control your calorie intake, without having to do very much counting. I think what I objected to was that although in the literature they emphasised eating healthily (no junk/processed food, balanced meals etc), all of the discussion focused on which processed foods had the lowest
'syns' etc - there were only a few of us who were interested in taking a healthy approach. In fact, I walked out of one particular meeting, because the leader ran a session on chocolate - ie the lowest syn options etc. I had not thought about chocolate for weeks, and here I was, getting cravings, because it was being discussed at length in a meeting that was meant to be helping me........

And Kykaree - Ramsbottom sounds great! Fantastic name for a place, too. I know that part of the UK at all - am glad you are enjoying it. Maybe you could stick a note up at the gym asking for an exercise buddy? I think it definitely helps to have other people to talk about this stuff with.............

Sharon - thanks for the encouragement, and its good to know it worked for you Online. Hope you are doing well with LA Weight Loss