Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-14-2005, 11:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Default I think my scale is broken - seriously!

It hasn't moved in three weeks, however the tape measure is constantly on the move, and I am wearing clothes that I wasn't able to wear even when I was 7-9 lbs. lower than what the scale is saying now. I am getting in the cardio, the weight training, the food and that thing just ain't moving!

I can't call this a plateau cause i am seeing results in other places. Its' driving me bananas!
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 01:10 PM   #2  
Mel

It's possible mine was, but it read low Do you have a scale at the gym? We do, but it's in a waaay too public place for my taste. Get on Bed, Bath and Beyond's mailing list and they'll send you 20% off coupons every few weeks. Go buy yourself an inexpensive new scale one of these days

Or just enjoy the fact that you are getting smaller and don't worry about it

LOL, that sure is a case of do as I say, not as I do!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 01:11 PM   #3  

Tiki - I am right there with you. I am "up" two pounds but wearing a size smaller in jeans (yay - bought size 12 yesterday!) They are the same brand I wear now in a 14, so I know it is not a brand issue. I am also feeling better and people are noticing. So, bah-humbug to the scale (sorry, wrong season, but you get the picture). I have decided to step away from scale and use Ilene's "pants-o-meter" and only weigh once a month or when I take my measurements every 3 months - I am still undecided on the frequence but know that weighing myself daily and recording weekly is too much. Why did weekly get to be so popular? I'm guessing it is because that is how WW (and the like) measures your progress and brings you back each week, not because it makes medical or health sense - it sure doesn't help the health of my mental state

Last edited by ellenuw; 05-14-2005 at 01:15 PM.
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 04:53 PM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

Tiki, I spent nearly 6 months on a plateau like that - scale didn't move! But, I went down 2 sizes. Go figure.

A pleasant surprise after 3 weeks away, no exercise other than miles of walking and frankly eating and drinking what I wanted (though neither to excess) and my scale (both home and gym) is down 2 lbs! Ta-da! I thought it might be as when I pulled out my jeans yesterday, fresh from the dryer, there was none of the usual tugging to make the waistband button. I wore all knit pants with elastic waists on vacation mainly because they were much lighter to pack. ANd I went to the gym this morning!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 06:14 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Tiki -- I HOPE your scale is broken then you can throw it out and keep on with the measurements .... It doesn't surprise me at all actually that the scale hasn't moved and that the measurements have, you've been working out hard and making some major muskels girl ... Way to go !! Have a look in my siggie at the Fat vs. Muscle pic there IS quite a difference in those two 5 lbs blobs... Another thing. I bet the scale will suddenly drop for you ... It may be a good thing that the scale isn't moving it's keeping you on your toes because sometimes when I see the scale move it seems to give me the red light to go ahead and eat, I AM getting away from that thinking though but it's taking a long time...

Pat -- HEY Welcome back and wow congrats on LOSING during your vacation...Will you post pics?
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 06:16 PM   #6  
I believe in Futures

tikanique,

I'm going on week 3 stuck on my plateau! I feel your pain! *sigh* At least you're seeing results in other areas. I'm kinda just idle even though I'm excercising and eating right. But Mel gave me some good advice and I will be trying to maintain this weight rather than give up and gain it all back like I have done so many times in the past! Keep me posted on how your plateau battle is going and I'll do the same.

P.S. I exercised for another 70 minutes and feel great! The endorphin rush post-workout does wonders! I find myself smiling and just happy for no apparent reason. Haha

P.P.S. Which scales are more accurate? Digital or the regular needle scales or the ones at the doctors office where you slide that piece of medal around? I personally use a digital one...opinions?

Last edited by purplebanana; 05-14-2005 at 06:20 PM.
purplebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 09:31 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

I much prefer the digital scale or the doctor's scales...
Old 05-15-2005, 10:36 AM   #8  

I hate weighing at the doctor. I once got into an argument with a tech because their scale said I weighed 162 and I knew (at age 24-wearing a size 7) that I didn't weigh that much. I like the needle scales.

Tiki
Old 05-15-2005, 12:21 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

I don't like weighing at the Doc's either, first of all the appointments are late in the day AND I'm fully clothed usually with jeans and a sweater, NOT accurate at all...IMHO... I do like the Doc's type scales my mom has one and it's very accurate, too accurate really, so maybe that's not a good thing...I don't like the needle scales because I can't see them in the morning even if I wear my glasses ...I have a digital that measures about 2'', I'm sure it's for the visually impaired like moi !!
Old 06-27-2005, 09:30 PM   #10  

Okay, now i wanna strangle the tape measure. I can't seem to shake the 8 inch difference between my waist and my hip measurement. Both are shrinking but I want the waist one to just fall like a skydiver and it won't. I look in the mirror and think, YEP, I'm shaped like a bowling pin! My upper body is shrinking at an alarming rate, I am going to have to buy new bras but the lower half is going through separation anxiety with the spare tire. Sigh. Okay, I'm better now.

Tiki
Old 06-27-2005, 10:55 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikanique
Okay, now i wanna strangle the tape measure. I can't seem to shake the 8 inch difference between my waist and my hip measurement. Both are shrinking but I want the waist one to just fall like a skydiver and it won't. I look in the mirror and think, YEP, I'm shaped like a bowling pin! My upper body is shrinking at an alarming rate, I am going to have to buy new bras but the lower half is going through separation anxiety with the spare tire. Sigh. Okay, I'm better now.

Tiki
@ Tiki, you're just too cute girl ... I'm sure your bottom will catch up eventually...
Old 06-28-2005, 04:42 AM   #12  

Hi Tiki,

Keep hanging on Tiki!!! My scale has not moved significantly since december 2004, and frankly I cannot get myself do do more than I do now. At least hanging in there with "constnt" weight is better than letting go and gain!
For me also, I seem to see some differences, mainly looser pants and a bit more definition in the arms and legs muscles.

You have been excercizsing so hard, I'm sure you'll get where you want to be. probabely your bottom half will follow your top half in some time and you would be amazed if you could see yourself 6 months from now.

rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:11 PM   #13  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene
@ Tiki, you're just too cute girl ... I'm sure your bottom will catch up eventually...
Ilene: will mine too? And my thighs too? Please say they will.

Tiki: I feel your pain, friend. Only too well.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:15 PM   #14  
Jennifer

Ditto on the "bowling pin" phenom. Waist = check. Thunder thighs = check. Roly poly lower belly = check.

Weight comes off in the weirdest ways!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:51 PM   #15  

Tiki - you made me laugh with your weight coming unevenly - should I say very unevenly? In my case my upper body and chest went for good about a year ago and never came back. Like good bye boobies - now I have to use padded bra which slides AROUND my body as it does not have "anchors" except bra straps! But you should see my bum - I bet it did not drop an inch ! Upper thights are gone, but legs not - so all of the jeans are too loose in the waist and around lower belly BUT legs barely fit in... I feel like banana squizzed down - hope that brain still stays LOL !

Last week I tried my 2-part sports swimming suit from last year - lower part just felt off and upper part was wider that my widest chest measurement - if I would dare swim in it it will just be like "wings" around my chest - good floating device if I fill it with air ...

And my scale stays HIGHER than last year... I mean, 4 - 6 pounds HIGHER...

Well, I feel better now...

Last edited by Sashenka; 06-28-2005 at 05:53 PM.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote