Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 08:58 PM   #1  
Tanya

Default Aloha From The Middle of the Pacific...

Aloha--my good friend suggested I check out this sight as I called her to vent about my weight gain over the past few years. While I feel better about myself psychologically than I ever have in my life after drug addiction, bouts of bulimia and severe depression the result physically is that I am now FAT! Yes, that's right, ladies, I identify with Kirstie Alley, I find solace in Mr. Ed's ice cream cookies and chocolate and FOOD FOOD FOOD and now that I don't regurgitate (I can't believe now how much I hated myself) I have put on weight. I am close to the ground already 5 foot 1 inch, and I seriously can no longer see my poonany in the shower. I am at that age where my body feels like it should be pregnant (in fact I have been drawn to maternity wear lately, and no, I am not, nor do I plan to be pregnant) my friends are having children all around me and as my friend and I were discussing today we have both put on what we would like to call "empathy" weight. That way it is someone else's fault that we chubbed up. Anyway, she is on the right path and I am trying to get a grip and follow her lead. I am hoping this website will help me. I NEED HELP!!! I luckily still have my sense of humor but living in Paradise sucks when you are surrounded by tiny tan beauties and you feel like a beached whale.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:22 AM   #2  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Welcome Kauaipiglet!

You'll have to get used to late posting not being read by the east coasters but I'm the westest in the continental US, so I'll be around.

I can quite understand being in paradise and feeling like a beached whale. I feel like the only beauty in Southern California who isn't hungry or full of silicon. But we march on.

BTW, I love Mr. Ed's ice cream cookies. And I thought I was the only one.

Welcome. There's lots of humor on this board, so you'll feel right at home.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:49 AM   #3  
I believe in Futures

kauaipiglet & goddess jessica,

Let me join in on the west coast chatter. haha !! Don't fret kauaipiglet, you have joined a very awesome community with some wonderful people & moderators! I'm pretty new here too, I joined last week and am loving it. I get most of my questions answered when I post one up. Remember to start out slow and take it one day at a time! We're here to support you 10000000%. haha goddess jessica, it's getting warm out here in So Cal isn't it? It's going to hit the mid-80s tomorrow! Woohoo! That's only more reason to start working out outdoors

Take care ladies and keep at it...!
Old 05-13-2005, 09:25 AM   #4  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Welcome Kauaipiglet!

Are you and your friend following a specific plan or doing your own thing?

Sounds like you have had quite a struggle but are getting back on your feet.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:33 AM   #5  

Purplebandana,

Yes! it is getting warm. I just wish we had a luxury of a warm ocean as well (Tanya is so spoiled out in Hawaii!). I have a couple more weeks of school and then, I contemplated getting a bike and biking it to work. I love LA tho. I'm hoping to move up there in about a year to finish school (UCLA - fingers crossed).

Jessica
Old 05-13-2005, 11:47 AM   #6  
I believe in Futures

UCLA?! A Bruin?! Nooooo! Hahahhaha, jk! I'm USC graduate (go Trojans!) so my loyalty lies there Anyway, biking is great exercise. I haven't biked since I was an undergraduate riding through campus though. I should get my dusty (and probably rusty) bike out and go at it. It's hard to bike through L.A. without being killed though so be careful. So many crazy drivers out here...I'll be on the lookout for bike trails and if I find any good ones, I'll let you know. I also use to bike from Santa Monica through Venice Beach. It's a nice route to bike, nice ocean view, and not difficult at all. Talk to you soon!
Old 05-13-2005, 08:39 PM   #7  
Tanya

WOW! Thanks for writing and the encouragement. My friend who lives on the other side of the world (East Coast) suggested to start slow and just monitor my calorie intake and try to keep it under 1600/per day! I had to laugh knowing that I had polished off TWO Mr. Ed's the night before. Goddess Jessica you know how many calories are in thos delectable treats! Anyway, no Mr. Ed's last night. Just trying to get into walking again and eating healthier. MAHALO for the support. I think I'm going to like it here. And, you GO, Purple Banana!! You, too, Jessica. You are both doing wonderful things for yourselves. I ( I can't believe I'm going to admit this, but here goes--) am at the heaviest I've ever been just shy of 170 pounds, having been as low as 111 just four years ago. Now don't think for a second that I was happy or healthy at that weight! I wasn't. But somewhere in the middle would make me feel better about myself. What is working for you out there?

PEACE.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:17 AM   #8  
I believe in Futures

kauaipiglet,

You just need to start slow and take it one day at a time. Do anything you can to add exercise and more movement into your daily regimen. Cleaning the house, walking to the store, parking your car farther away in the parking lot, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, and so on, all count as calories burned! And since you are surrounded by beautiful beaches, I'd recommend starting daily walks on the sand (more resistance too). Do 20 minutes a day, then slowly work your way up to more physical activity as you get more comfortable. Part 2 of this is watching what you eat! There's no way around this. Eat breakfast and try to have spread your meals out to 5 smaller meals a day if you can. There's so much information out there, but starting or thinking about starting a diet is a good way to go. I'm sure you'll do fine. I'll be looking forward to hearing about how your diet & exercise program is going. Best of luck!
Old 05-14-2005, 08:51 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Kauai,

You shouldn't feel bad. Your starting weight and height are very close to Purple's and mine. We all have been where you are scale wise and we are here to support you. You should also check www.fitday.com. It's a food tracking website that you log in what you eat and it tells you how many carbs, fats, proteins, total calories you have consumed. It is a great tool to help you keep track of what you are eating. I totally agree with Purple also that you should start off slow, hit the beach for walks (I heard walking on sand is also a GREAT way to smooth your feet cause it removes hard dead skin cells) park farther away, take stairs, move it girl. If you decide to try any particular diet or exercise routine, I am sure you can find people on this site that have tried and can give you pointers. We have South beachers here, WW, Atkins, belly dancers, runners, weight lifters, you name it, we got it!

So watch what you eat, exercise and remember to continue to post. We are cheering you on.

Tiki.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:22 AM   #10  

Default Aloha Chicas

Hi!

I am Kuaipiglet's East Coast buddy that suggested she check this site out. I've been lurking for a couple of months now and the site has really helped keep me motivated. I also suggested that Tanya check out fitday.com. I've been tracking my calories there and it has made me look at my food choices differently. I was about 160 in January, which is my record, not too bad, I know, but I could see where it was leading...

I do yoga with a sorta creepy guy on the Oxygen Network 3-4 mornings a week and use my bike for transportation most of the time. I'm weighing in at 144 now and feel so much better. Just writing that made me feel really good, actually! I hadn't yet really thought about the fact that I dropped 16 pounds! Makes a difference in my confidence, energy level and overall mood.

So, thanks ladies for letting me spy on you for so long and Miss Tanya-- it's cool to see you here!

Shane.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:04 AM   #11  
I believe in Futures

Hello Shane!

Welcome and keep posting here to let us know how you're doing as well! It's great that you're spreading 3FC to others. I should do the same . Well, first off, good job on the weight loss! Keep doing what you're doing and you'll be fine! Second, how has yoga been working for you? I know a few people who do it, but not for weight loss. My friends do yoga for stress relief and to be more flexible but I'm wondering if it has any effect on weight loss? Please let me know!

Take care ladies and have a happy weekend!!!
Old 05-14-2005, 01:03 PM   #12  

The yoga does a lot for me, but as far as weight loss goes, I think it doesn't do that much. But a lot of the poses are working my muscles-so I think it's helping me tone up. The big thing is that it helps ease my anxiety and negative thoughts--two things that really drive my overeating habits. I think what I'm missing in my routine is cardio. I bike short distances every day (to and from work etc.) but I really would like to find something else to get my heart rate up that I ENJOY.

How did you drop all those pounds Purplebanana?
Old 05-14-2005, 02:35 PM   #13  
I believe in Futures

Shane,

I dropped weight the good 'ole fashion way: diet & exercise. I've said time and again in other posts that I've tried every diet out there from low-fat to low-carb to no-carb (I've been a yo-yo dieter my entire life! ).

To let you know what I'm doing now, I started my diet at the beginning of this year. I bought an elliptical machine and have been diligently working out on it everyday! When I first started my exercise regimen, I couldn't go 20 minutes (burning 150 calories) on the machine without feeling winded. I can now go 70 minutes (burning up to 760 calories) during a workout! It feels great to be in shape, but it's time to change my workout to keep losing weight because I've hit my 135 lb. plateau (I've never been lighter than this, and in the past have quit my diet at this plateau only to gain it all back and start all over again. I must have gained and lost the same 30 lbs 5+ times during my dieting career! Grr! ) Incidentally, this is also what prompted me to join 3FC, in hopes that I will find the support I need to maintain this weight loss at the very least!

As far as eating habits go, that has also changed dramatically. I eat a high fiber cereal every morning and drink 1 cup of green tea. For lunch I usually have 6oz of yogurt (Danon Light n' Fit yogurt is only 90 calories a cup!) along with lots of fruits like BANANAs, oranges, apples or mangoes. For dinner, I have a turkey sandwich or salmon or skinless chicken breast with a salad. I also snack on cashews, granola bars, or high fiber cereal in between meals when I get the munchies. I know most people get sick of eating the same foods everyday, but oddly for me, I don't. I don't mind eating the same turkey sandwich or salmon, etc. In fact, it's easier for me because then I don't have to obsess about what I'll be eating next and how much. I know the portion size, I know how many calories I'm taking in and it makes easier for me. But again, this works for ME! Everyone is different and everyone has different attraction and aversions to food and taste, but once you get going, you'll figure out what's best for you.

And of course, there's no way around it, you HAVE to exercise while incoporating a healthy eating style to lose weight! Friend or foe, burning calories will help you move along on your weight loss goal. Remember, I started out very slow but gradually moved up. You can do the same!

I know this all sounds so simple and redundant, but it's all true. Business men out to get your hard earned money will tell you to buy their food and diet supplements to burn fat and shed weight in just a matter of days (even without exercise!). It's nice a thought, but just not very honest.

Please let me know how your doing in future posts, and we can keep each other motivated! Smiles!

Last edited by purplebanana; 05-14-2005 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:50 PM   #14  

Vermontloser -

So glad to hear from someone who bikes to work. I've been doing my research this weekend (looking for a bike) and I'm very nervous! I just don't want to be smashed on the road. I live in the heart of downtown and work a bit south of it (up a nice hill). It'll be a short 4 miles to get there but a much faster 4 miles home (all down hill!).

May 20th is Bike to Work Day! Unfortuately, I'll still be in school (and school is much too far away). But it's looking like a bike to work summer for me!

Jessica
Old 05-15-2005, 10:42 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Man, I would love to be able to bike to work. However, Detroit is not very biker friendly when it comes to the design of the main roads. Good luck on finding a good bike Goddess. I love mine and always get it out on the weekends when the weather allows it here.

Tiki
Closed Thread