Old 05-12-2005, 02:46 PM   #1  

Default How did you start your journey?

It's funny, today while I was in the kitchen making lunch, I decided that I was ready to give up the lifestyle I've been living, so I stepped on my scale for the first time in who knows how long and I was appalled at my weight!

I want to lose 120 pounds ultimately, but I'm just not sure how or where to start! So I'm curious to find out how you all jump started your journey!

What inspired you?
How did you pick a plan that works for you?
What changes did you make at first?

Please help inspire me!!
JKorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:24 PM   #2  

The thing that inspired me was I just go to the point where I was miserable in my body. I started by just switching to diet sodas, then less snacks (aka junk), then substiting fruits for other things and eventually decided to give Weight Watchers a shot. You must realize this isn't going to be an overnight change. Good luck.
Inca's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:25 PM   #3  
Just Peachy

First, welcome to 3fc

I had an experience pretty close to yours, where I just decided one day that I had enough, that I wasn't going to continue to be this heavy anymore. It's not really an inspiration, but it's how I got started. For my inspiration, I look at my scales every week, I journal my food and pat myself on the back alot, and I come here and see other people succeeding and think that I can do that too.

My food plan is pretty basic, less calories and more activity. I'm not even talking about rigirous activity, just getting out and get moving.

My first change was my drinks, I used to drink regular soda and I went to diet. And that's all I did for about a month, then I took out fast food completely. I took small baby steps and I'm still taking them. Currently I'm reducing the fat in my diet.

Editted to add, if you want inspiration, there are a lot of people here that are stickign with their food plan and losing weight. It's not hard to find inspiration here.

Last edited by PeachGirl; 05-12-2005 at 03:27 PM.
PeachGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:34 PM   #4  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

mine came after seeing a photo of myself and i was almost round at about 322
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:39 PM   #5  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I had been building up to it for about 6 months without realising it, trying to get more active by going for walks in the evening, signing up for a 1 mile charity run/walk, paying attention to gyms when I drove past.

Then one Monday morning I woke up and saw a sign outside the gym near work offering a 6 week no strings membership. I signed up that lunchtime. The next day I went for induction and saw how much I weighed (I'd not been near scales for many a year before that) and realised I'd done it not a moment too soon. The 6 week membership soon turned into an ongoing one.

10 months down the line (I signed up on 12 July last year), I'm amazed at how much I like exercising and eating healthily. I had a blip late last year when some non exercise and non food things really messed me around and I couldn't get to the gym as much as I wanted, but once I restarted with it in January I've not looked back and am in it for the long term this time.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:44 PM   #6  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Hello & welcome!

Quote:
What inspired you?
Being the fattest one in my circle of friends. Everyone else is a size 2-16. I am a 24 right now.

Also, my health. I have some medical issues that I have to tend to.

Quote:
I'm not on a "plan" per se, I just make the best choices possible, and try not to eat mindlessly & give into the cravings that got me over 300# to begin with. In the dairy state, w/beer, bratwurst & cheese as 3 of the 4 food groups, it's not easy.

Rigidity doesn't work for me, neither does counting of things. I write down everything that goes in my mouth, even gum, and at the end of the night if I am still hungry, I review it, to see what I can have, if anything.

I try to exercise as much as I can, but you know how that goes. I am getting back into the swing, and can do more once I lose a little more weight.

Quote:
What changes did you make at first?
Well, I stopped drinking my calories. Fortunately for me I am not much of a sweets person, and enjoy plain water, unsweetened iced tea or hot tea, sometimes with a slice of citrus to jazz things up.

I also realized there will always be gatherings of friends & family with food. That won't change. What HAD to change was my attitude towards them, which used to be: Everyone else can eat whatever they want, why can't I? Now my attitude is, I am steering this ship, I can still attend these things, but make it about the company, and the cameraderie, not about the food.

So for family or other picnics, I bring fresh fruit salad. Chunked watermelon & honeydew, pineapple chunks canned in their own juice, maraschino cherries rinsed off & drained real good, kiwi, strawberries, green grapes cut in half, whatever else is on sale that week or tickles my fancy. Everyone likes fruit & if they don't then I have some to take home.

For dinners out, I plan ahead. I look online to see if I can check out the menu, and make my decisions based on that. If I can't, then I get a salad w/meat on it (chicken, steak or shrimps) and a broth based soup as an appetizer. (This is when I'm being good. Last time @ TGIFridays I was not so good)

Welcome to our little online home, we are glad to have you here!
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:30 PM   #7  

It all started by a visit to the doctor for annual checkup in 2003. I could not believe my eyes when I stepped on the scale. It showed 335 pounds. Apart from this, I had high cholesterol, triglycerides and BP. Basically, at age 33 I was heading straight for the grave. I also had a very poor image of myself…It was a shame that XXL clothes were starting to get tight.

The first thing I changed is the way I eat. As Fast food (Pizza, KFC, etc…) was my basic menu that was hard. I also increased training. I`ve always went 2-3 times a week at the pool. On top of this I’ve added mountain hiking, cross-country skiing and snowshoeing.

I also have to admit that I’ve done things to lose weight that may be harmful for my health. For about 4 months I’ve replaced 2 meals a day by Meal replacement shakes. This was a bit extreme and I do not recommend it.

As for now I’m at 254 pounds. In order to loose the last 40 I started to commute by bike. This 30Km a day will certainly help me!
frenchiepolarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

I went in to the Dr.not that long ago for a general check up.I had lost 35 lbs.prior to going in,but hadn't been watching my weight in while....so when I stepped on the scale and saw that I had regained 11 lbs.,I just knew I had to stop it before I ended up back at 265 and possibly more.

I still need to get some bloodwork done,and an x-ray on my foot before heading back in to the Dr.,but in all honesty,I'd like to lose a bit before doing so...as my weight was brought up at my first visit.

My biggest problem is portion control,so I've been on that,getting in at least 30 minutes of exercise in a day,and trying to make sure I am eating when I am truely hungry and not when I'm bored or stressed.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:35 PM   #9  

I worked up to it over a period of about 6 months, having decided that I was headed for early death or disability at my extreme weight, and that I was tired of being tired. I realized I had to manage this like a disease, that my health and vitality was more important than whether or not I could ever have chocolate again, or whatever.

While I spent that time reading, working on my mental game, researching programs, etc., I knew that I was not a "baby step" person. I'm a compulsive overeater, so often I cannot have "just a bite." I can't say, well, this week I'll not have anything fried. I could not gradually cut back and get anywhere. I had to draw a line in the sand. This did not mean I could NEVER have certain foods or whatever, but that until I felt my compulsive tendencies were better under control, I had to have a concrete plan to follow, and I finally chose Jenny Craig.

In order to control my eating and battle my food demons, I had to plan each night what I was going to eat the next day, and pack up everything I needed for lunch and snacks to take to work. I knew that if I left things to chance, to whim, I would be more likely to make bad choices. It was more important to stick to the program than to feed my obsessions and cravings. I learned that cravings fade. For me it was like going through detox.

Now, 165 pounds down and nearly 4 years later, I enjoy lots of treats in moderation. I take as much freedom as I feel comfortable with, but most days are still planned in some way. I still have spells of overeating, but they are small and isolated. I'm still a compulsive personality, I just understand it better and can talk back better.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:58 PM   #10  
missaprylj

Welcome-

My best advice is to be prepared to fail. Don't allow one day, one meal, one candy bar (you get the pic) to throw you back into the darkness. Always dust yourself off and keep going.

Secondly, find a type of exercise that you like to do, and switch it up. No matter how much you "love walking" after 3 weeks of walking an hour a day, you may just give up out of boredom.

Good luck!!!
Old 05-13-2005, 04:33 AM   #11  

In about September last year my mum was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, my dad had the same diagnosis about three years previously. I knew at my current weight, i was heading for a painful and difficult old age, and had to address my weight. I started writing down all the positive things I had going for me like, a love of cooking, experimenting with new ingredients, a pool near by, a gym at work etc. Then a list of all my challenges - a sedentary job, a partner who is naturally slim and eats a rotten diet, a love of rich creamy foods, eating when stressed etc.

Next thing I did was find strategies to counteract my weak points and improve on my strong points, I started preparing myself to start three days after New Years. I had a great Christmas and didn't think about the weight loss until then. I was mentally prepared, and it's been a real eye opener for me. I have had so much support and encouragement, often from unexpected sources. The guys at both my work gym and local gym have been fab.

My partner felt really threatened at first, and didn't think I would keep up with it. He is now really proud of me, and very supportive.

My biggest tip is plan, plan, plan and WRITE STUFF DOWN, so that when you are in a weak moment and things look tough, you have a strategy to get you through.

Good luck, and we're all here to help!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 10:41 AM   #12  
maintainer wannabe

"What inspired you?
What changes did you make at first?"

I was having a shower and I ended up breathless with my heart racing. I was so exausted I thought I was going to pass out. All over a simple shower. I decided I couldn't live like that anymore.

From the past I knew that tracking everything I ate worked so I went with that. I'm pregnant so decided on enough cals to maintain and eating healthy. I also drank water in the past so started that again. I knew I needed exercise and through this board I decided on Walk Away the Pounds.

I'm more of an all or nothing type person so I changed everything. At least this board taught me that if I mess up that it's not the end. I just get back at it.

In just a few weeks I was able to exercise, shower then make lunch without resting between! I feel great.

Catherine EDD#11 June 24th
mabear's homepage
Restarted Jan 17 '05 at 243. Trying to maintain while pregnant.
mabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 11:51 AM   #13  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

I was having heart palpitations something awful. I'd started walking, and cut out sodas (in favor of juice - not a great choice, too many calories).

We then faced a move. I decided it was time for a clean start. I was emotionally ready to make a change. I had to have my head around it first to succeed.

I started by cutting out caffeine and severly lowering my fat intake. If you lower the fat intake, you have lots of options food-wise. At first, I just cut my intake severly and got regular about exercising 20 minutes a day. I was hurting from hunger all the time. Though I've tried just about every diet I could get my hands on, I've read several books lately. It helped me get a grip on my own decisions for my plan of attack.

It takes some getting used to, but now, I eat every three hours, much like they encourage diabetics (which I learned I was facing). That is the standard 3 lowfat, low-calorie meals a day plus snacks which are usually a piece of fruit or a Special K bar (very sweet - almost like a rice krispie treat!), which don't exceed 100 calories. It keeps me from getting hungry. I'm more physically comfortable. That helps my motivation. I've upped my workouts to two sessions a day, which helps speed things along. One book I've found helpful for motivation is Dr. Shapiro's Picture Perfect Weight Loss. It basically shows, in pictures, a lot of tradeoffs of food. It helps me keep in mind that the results are based on MY CHOICES. Instead of feeling like "I can't..." I do better reminding myself "I choose". It keeps me from feeling punished; keeps me looking toward my goal.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 12:08 PM   #14  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

What inspired me was I could not walk to the bathroom at work without taking a break in between. I felt like a blob.

I've always been a calorie counter. I just like dealing with numbers. So it works best for me. I also have added in the American Heart diet guidlines to try and eat more healthy.

Glad you decided to join us. It's a long hard fight but well worth the rewards.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 12:12 PM   #15  

I have stopped looking for a quick fix. I am a health professional and I know only too well what the detrimental effects of obesity can be and yet here I am - right in the midst of it. After a health scare of my own, I have decided that I am worth more than this type of lifestyle and as hard as it is trying to change a lifetime of living overweight - I can do it. I have always eaten healthy and I have always exercised. I just need to get the right proportions.

Welcome to our group - as you see, we share willingly with each other to help each other succeed. This is a place where the concern relates to ones health not vanity (although being attractive and accepted is also nice but not the primary issue). We owe great thanks to the three sisters who created this forum to allow people to come together to help themselves with the only motive being the best interest of each other. I hope this information is useful to you for whatever your purposes are. If it is weight that you are trying to lose and support that you are looking for, you have come to the right place. You will need to find a plan that fits for you and just remain consistent. Each failed attempt just adds to the next future success (or, at least that is what "they" say, and I am hanging on to those words!)....Welcome!
Jenaya is offline   Reply With Quote